The NFL and the National Anthem

1 hour ago, Thestarider said:

[...]

I can not agree with anyone who disrespects what this country stands for, or the symbolism of the National Anthem or the flag we so proudly display to world and what it represents.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Section 4 of the Flag Code states:

The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag: "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.", should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute."

Well, their point is that the country, or at least its political subdivisions are disrespecting them, and they are calling attention to that.

You are quoting the requirements for the pledge of allegiance.  We have been talking here about the national anthem.  As I said before, I don't see why we customarily play it before certain entertainment events and not all.

As to the pledge of allegiance, I recall being required to recite it in school (why?) and before legislative meetings when I was in the town legislature where it makes some sense.  By the way, as an atheist, I just refrain from saying "under God."

• Like 1

insignia.gifCornell Law School

36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem

prev | next
§ 301.
National anthem
(a)Designation.—
The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A)
individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B)
members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C)
all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2)
when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

36 U.S. Code § 302 - National motto

§ 302.
National motto

“In God we trust” is the national motto.

Just for the record I'm not watching football until it becomes non political again, which I fear will be never again. As long as players are permitted to usurp the stage with any kind of protest, even of justifiable, I'm not interested in watching it. Sports are meant to be a distraction from reality.

Also, while it may not be required for people to stand for the anthem, it is generally perceived by most Americans to be a time to honor the men and women in uniform, particularly the military, who have sacrificed so much to protect our freedom and liberty. Sitting or kneeling is envitably going to be perceived as a form of disrespect toward those people. While they may say it's not meant to be seen that way, the unfortunate truth is that, by many it is. This protest is misplaced and wrongheaded and is ultimately devisive and ineffective to address the point of the protest.

And another thing, the whole purpose of the protest is to affirm the idea that cops are purposely targeting black people for death. While there may be some cops who are inclined this way, to smear the entire police force this way just seems irrational to me. Especially in light of the fact that these same cops are protecting these players while they are playing their game. I don't think there has ever been a player, much less a black player killed by a cop at a game. This whole thing is ridiculous and stupid. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, blue is the colour said:

Not being an American, I think the NFL gentlemen kneeling while your countries anthem was being played shows disrespect... what they should have done instead was to hold a notice up saying love my country hate Trump and sang the anthem with pride. Politics should be kept out of sport... period.

The protesr did not begin because of Trump. It began because of this idiotic notion that the police are targeting black people for death and the overarching notion that the USA is illegitimate because of racism. It's a bunch of bull shit! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue is the colour said:

Not being an American, I think the NFL gentlemen kneeling while your countries anthem was being played shows disrespect... what they should have done instead was to hold a notice up saying love my country hate Trump and sang the anthem with pride. Politics should be kept out of sport... period.

Non American here too, I think what all these people are doing is a form of protest against where certain people are taking their country.  It's because they respect America so much and what it is supposed to be, the land of the free, that they are taking a stand (or a knee) against the forces of hate and division.  Not all Americans seem to get where they are coming from, which is a real shame.