The Athiest Delusion

3 minutes ago, mic351 said:

Smarter?  If you study Einstein you'll note he believed in a God and an afterlife.  He proposed that all matter is energy and energy never dies, it simply changes form.   Taking it a step further he also believed that the formation of life on earth was simply to much to be entirely coincidence.  That a higher form must have started things off..   Einstein wrote:  "Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-A spirit vastly superior to that of man. "Einstein and God"  Robert Barron.. 

You statement to Amy3 you thought she was smarter than that leads me to believe that you feel you are smarter than Einstein.  So please expound and explain to a simple man like myself, what did Einstein's Theory of Relativity really state?

Have you really, like really studied Einstein mate?

16 minutes ago, maxfactor said:

Diatribe...may be your opinion but I thought you were a little more open minded and smarter.   

I'm plenty open minded, but your comment had absolutely nothing to add to the question at hand. It was designed to steer the conversation in the usefullness and purpose of religion. That's not what this topic is about. I have no interest in defending my personal religious beliefs or defending the purpose of religion. My sole interest is the finding an answer to the question, Does God exisit? Really that simple.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Have you really, like really studied Einstein mate?

Yes Mate!  I wrote a thesis on Einstein at Ohio U.  However, I was not responding to what you had earlier posted.  I was responding, I thought, to maxfactor's post. And I was not trying to insult anyone.  I was trying to promote a discussion on be agnostic to being  an outright or  hard core atheist.   But if you really want to get into a discussion of Einstein and his life I'll be happy to oblige you..

2 minutes ago, mic351 said:

Yes Mate!  I wrote a thesis on Einstein at Ohio U.  However, I was not responding to what you had earlier posted.  I was responding, I thought, to maxfactor's post. And I was not trying to insult anyone.  I was trying to promote a discussion on be agnostic to being  an outright or  hard core atheist.   But if you really want to get into a discussion of Einstein and his life I'll be happy to oblige you..

I was going to but I think I can see where you're coming from so no worries.

11 minutes ago, Amy3 said:

I'm plenty open minded, but your comment had absolutely nothing to add to the question at hand. It was designed to steer the conversation in the usefullness and purpose of religion. That's not what this topic is about. I have no interest in defending my personal religious beliefs or defending the purpose of religion. My sole interest is the finding an answer to the question, Does God exisit? Really that simple.

You told us, despite repeatedly stating that you didn't want to talk about your personal circumstances, that you believe God exists.  OK, great for you, there's no decent discussion to be had on that because you cannot prove that he does and there is no burden of proof on anyone else to prove that he doesn't. The interesting part of this discussion has been about the consequences, through religion, of people believing in the myth of God and its effects on society.

Hoping we can get back to that.

2 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Sure, thanks, can you give me a couple of other quotes that Einstein said about God please?

I gave you one.  Here's another,  "Science without religion is lame.  Religion without science is blind".  Einstien, a Jew, never considered science and religion to be exclusive of one another.  

• Like 1

Just now, mic351 said:

I gave you one.  Here's another,  "Science without religion is lame.  Religion without science is blind".  Einstien, a Jew, never considered science and religion to be exclusive of one another.  

I did edit my post as you'll see above as I can see where you're going with this.  He also said, that although he doesn't regard himself as an atheist, he does regard himself as a religious non believer.  I take that to signify that he was an agnostic and someone that didn't support or condone the horrible things that organised religion has brought to the world.

He also stated something along the lines of not believing in any kind of afterlife.

Now understand, I never said Einstein believed in a Christian or a religious God as you may know it.  Einstein believed in a pantheistic God, of Baruch Spinoza.  Spinoza's god revealed in the harmony of existence and not the personal tribulations of man.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maturin said:

I did edit my post as you'll see above as I can see where you're going with this.  He also said, that although he doesn't regard himself as an atheist, he does regard himself as a religious non believer.  I take that to signify that he was an agnostic and someone that didn't support or condone the horrible things that organised religion has brought to the world.

He also stated something along the lines of not believing in any kind of afterlife.

Au contraire'  Einstein did believe in an afterlife, just not the kind you're thinking of.  Remember about all matter being energy and energy never dies?

I did not see your edit, my apologies.  However, as I stated, I was not responding to you.  So I wasn't reading your posts until you responded to mine.  Sorry!:dodgy:

• Like 1