Lisa, Chloe

11 minutes ago, jabbath1987 said:

Nice to see you back. How are you?

I'm fine, thank you for asking. I have always been online with VHTV, RLC (to a much lesser extent) and CC of course, but as you know I have limited my posts significantly to only very occasional contributions. I only posted this as no-one else seemed to have spotted it or commented on it.

• Like 1

LisaTeddyXmas01.gif

I have noticed in some posts across the CC topics, comments that there does not seem to be much being visible associated with Christmas in the houses and apartments. For those that are not aware, the religious festival 'Christmas' has historically been celebrated in Russia on 7 January. The date is different because the Russian Orthodox Church uses the older 'Julian' calendar for religious celebration days, therefore their Christmas celebration is 13 days behind 25 December in the 'Gregorian' calendar. 

'New Year' is a much more significant and important celebration in Russia. That said, 7 January is a non-working national holiday as is New Year and dependent upon the days of the week that the celebrations fall on may result in the two holidays being joined into one long break.

It should be remembered that in 1929 during the days of the Soviet Union, Christmas was banned as a religious holiday from thereon. Those wishing to celebrate had to do so in secret, so it was incorporated into New Year celebrations i.e. putting up a 'New Year' tree. It was not until after the events of 1991 that those wishing to recognise Christmas could do so openly, but it is more of a religious festival now than the big time of spending, eating and drinking carried out at New Year. 

The 25 December celebration is also now recognised and followed (in growing numbers) by people in Russia.

(Note:just to confuse matters there are those that also celebrate 'Old New Year', better described as Orthodox New Year which, by the Julian calendar, falls on our 14 January) 

Footnote: I have published this post as information/clarification for those that may not have known. I recognise and acknowledge that amongst the woldwide readership of these posts there will be those that neither accept nor celebrate the period I know as 'Christmas' (also known by many other names). It is not my intent to cause offence to anyone with this post and I sincerely apologise if I have done so.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Arkay2 said:

LisaTeddyXmas01.gif  0   402.96 kB

I have noticed in some posts across the CC topics, comments that there does not seem to be much being visible associated with Christmas in the houses and apartments. For those that are not aware, the religious festival 'Christmas' has historically been celebrated in Russia on 7 January. The date is different because the Russian Orthodox Church uses the older 'Julian' calendar for religious celebration days, therefore their Christmas celebration is 13 days behind 25 December in the 'Gregorian' calendar. 

'New Year' is a much more significant and important celebration in Russia. That said, 7 January is a non-working national holiday as is New Year and dependent upon the days of the week that the celebrations fall on may result in the two holidays being joined into one long break.

It should be remembered that in 1929 during the days of the Soviet Union, Christmas was banned as a religious holiday from thereon. Those wishing to celebrate had to do so in secret, so it was incorporated into New Year celebrations i.e. putting up a 'New Year' tree. It was not until after the events of 1991 that those wishing to recognise Christmas could do so, but it is more of a religious festival now than the big time of spending, eating and drinking carried out at New Year. 

The 25 December celebration is also now recognised and followed (in growing numbers) by people in Russia.

(Note:just to confuse matters there are those that also celebrate 'Old New Year', better described as Orthodox New Year which, by the Julian calendar, falls on our 14 January) 

Footnote: I have published this post as information/clarification for those that may not have known. I recognise and acknowledge that amongst the woldwide readership of these posts there will be those that neither accept nor celebrate the period I know as 'Christmas' (also known by many other names). It is not my intent to cause offence to anyone with this post and I sincerely apologise if I have done so.

thanks for the info arkay. very interesting & informative.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arkay2 said:

0   459.91 kB

It should be remembered that in 1929 during the days of the Soviet Union, Christmas was banned as a religious holiday from thereon. Those wishing to celebrate had to do so in secret, so it was incorporated into New Year celebrations i.e. putting up a 'New Year' tree. It was not until after the events of 1991 that those wishing to recognise Christmas could do so, but it is more of a religious festival now than the big time of spending, eating and drinking carried out at New Year. 

RK, not only are you one of the most informative posters on these boards,
you are one of the kindest, most thoughtful and considerate people, as well.
A most Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to you and yours. And, thank you
for the information about Russia, which I didn't know.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1