2018 Winter Olympics

rammer

2 hours ago, ipiratemedia said:

I enjoy the summer Olympics. Winter Olympics, we really suck! After so many years of disappointments, we gotten worse. IMO. There aren’t enough big Winter Olympic moments. Which moments do you remember most? The Miracle on Ice, if you’re old enough. But what else? Nancy and Tonya was a big moment. There was the Jamaican bobsled team. You probably remember a few big skiing accidents. So outside of the Miracle on Ice, the biggest Winter Olympics moments are… failures? Every Summer Olympics are a veritable One Shining Moment reel of highlights. Michael Phelps slapping on the water, urging his teammates forward. Usain Bolt’s relaxed smile as he breaks the tape in stride. Kerri Strug’s determined grimace as she lands on one leg. You could come up with 15 more summer moments without even trying. Where are the Winter Olympics moments? How many things will happen the next three weeks that will have everyone talking around the water cooler the next day? Will anything?

The United States is just better at summer stuff. Bet you don’t need two guesses to figure out who tops the all-time Summer Olympic leaderboard. It’s us, with 2,522 medals. We have more gold medals than anyone else has medals. Suck it, rest of the world. The Summer Olympics are better because we are better at Summer Olympics. No red-blooded American is tuning in to watch us lose a badminton match. We are only addicted to watching swimming and gymnastics because we win. You wouldn’t tune in to watch Katie Ledecky swim laps if she was going to finish sixth. Ever been to the grocery store when there’s snow on the way? It’s like the apocalypse. Americans PANIC at the first sight of winter. We skate on dates and ski when we’re rich. That’s it. We run and swim and play basketball all the time. We’re just better at that crap. What Winter Olympic events are can’t-miss? Maybe an ice skating final? Anything else? Perhaps a hockey gold-medal match? There’s another problem — not enough team sports. Summer Olympics has basketball, volleyball, handball, water polo. Winter Olympics is pretty much just hockey, and we’re not even sending pros anymore so that stinks now, too.

The Winter Olympics are sexist. I’m sorry you had to find out this way. There are 53 men’s-only events at the Winter Olympics and only 46 for women. Uhh… anybody ever heard of Title IX?? There are three men’s ski jumping events but just one for women. There’s a thing called Nordic combined that leaves women out altogether. Why can’t women be counted on to ski jump? Are we afraid of breaking their tiny osteoporotic bones? Are we still living in the 1800s?

The athletes are less identifiable because they’re buried under 17 layers of clothing. Quick, name three athletes you’re looking forward to watching at the Olympics. Go ahead, I’ll wait. Heck, how many American Winter Olympians can you name ever? You got Shaun White and Apolo Anton Ohno. Who else do you remember from the past couple decades before you start dropping Brian Boitano and Scott Hamilton references? You remember Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan, but not because of what they did on the ice. That’s like 25 years of memorable American Winter Olympians in one paragraph. And would you even recognize these folks if you saw them in the supermarket? Or would you need to see them in a sleek bodysuit or a bunch of layers to figure out who they were?

The athletes are less identifiable because they just don’t win that much. You know an easy way to recognize Katie Ledecky when you run into her at the mall? By the five gold medals she wears around her neck at all times. Athletes win multiple medals all the time at the Summer Olympics. Our best swimmers are practically drowning in medals. Winter Olympians just don’t win multiple gold medals. Eric Heiden won five golds at Lake Placid. Bonnie Blair won each in ‘92 and ‘94. Irving Jaffee and Jack Shea won two golds each in 1932, probably because Jesse Owens wasn’t allowed on the ice yet. That’s it. Five Americans in history have won multiple golds at one Winter Olympics. No wonder we don’t know them! Wouldn’t you think Shaun White must’ve won like four or five medals in Sochi? Nope. None. He finished fourth in his lone event. The all-time American winter medal leader is Apolo Ohno with eight. Michael Phelps won eight gold medals in one week! He has TWENTY-EIGHT medals. Our entire 300-million-person nation won 28 medals last Winter Olympics. At the current rate of climate change, we can’t possibly have more than two, maybe three Winter Olympics left anyway. Can’t say we’ll miss ‘em… Peace Joey :cool:

Those are some good Olympic moments Joey! I love summers better also, I love volleyball, beach and regular team, I dob't like soccer, but I love it at t h e  Olympics,  some of the running events are good, the relay races are really exciting, overall less judges deciding who wins, and more who scores the most points, runs the fastest, jumps the highest, etc etc, I love watching the Gymasts, less who wins, just awesome atheletes!

• Like 1

So, you're that Snow skier; everyone talks about when they congregate around the slopes? I was an above average athlete in High School, I excel in everything even in sex educational class, lol. Every year, our school would plan a ski trip. Since I can remember from all the stories that were passed on through time, makes me wonder why would I take that chance in breaking my leg which was my reason not to get involved in something that seems exciting to do and watch. True, every year, someone would break their leg. I can imagine your strength when wrapping your legs around your partner Ashley, and I will never know, if that's what your thinking? Lol. :heart:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ipiratemedia said:

So, you're that Snow skier; everyone talks about when they congregate around the slopes? I was an above average athlete in High School, I excel in everything even in sex educational class, lol. Every year, our school would plan a ski trip. Since I can remember from all the stories that were passed on through time, makes me wonder why would I take that chance in breaking my leg which was my reason not to get involved in something that seems exciting to do and watch. True, every year, someone would break their leg. I can imagine your strength when wrapping your legs around your partner Ashley, and I will never know, if that's what your thinking? Lol. :heart:

Take a lesson! I've been skiing since high school and I love it! Mostly ski here in the east and in Vermont, but have been to Colorado also, the mountains out there are just awesome to see, and ski. Give it another shot, but you got to take a lesson, in one lesson you can learn how to turn and to stop, that's the 2 things you need to be able to do.

• Like 1

I agree.  The Summer Olympics are a US strength. Good things happened on the woman's half pipe today.  A 17 year old US trilingual girl (English, Korean and French) won the gold. She had it wrapped up before her final run and then went for it and threw down an almost perfect score to blow away her competitors.  I never heard of Chloey Kim before today.  I'm sure no one else here has either. There's always a bunch of Chloey Kims that appear to make it awesome to watch and earn our respect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ipiratemedia said:

How far from the Florida coast would you have to travel Pirate to snow ski?  You could probably practice on a surf board though.  Just don't break your leg. Just kidding Joey.  I'm sure you're transplanted from somewhere up north.  Very good reasoning about the differences between the summer and winter Olympics.  There are  good things happening and will happen before they extinguish the cauldron.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Lol. I’m originally from North Jersey. (Hoboken) I now live were Sharks roam the waters. #1 in shark attacks.. New Smyrna Beach Florida. So you will never catch me above the water, because breaking a leg, is not possible, but losing a leg is. I would hate to witness a couple of teen Sharks, bickering over who’s going to eat me first. I do a lot of Scuba Diving during the summer, I treasure hunt with my Excalibur metal detector. I  have to work as subcontractor, under the famous Mel Fisher. (his family have leasing rights.) I personally, would of love  being able to Ski, getting back on topic. Do you ski-Ram?  :cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ashleyxyz said:

Take a lesson! I've been skiing since high school and I love it! Mostly ski here in the east and in Vermont, but have been to Colorado also, the mountains out there are just awesome to see, and ski. Give it another shot, but you got to take a lesson, in one lesson you can learn how to turn and to stop, that's the 2 things you need to be able to do.

I’m going to add it to my bucket list for next winter Ashley. Great suggestion. I’m going to give it a shot, considering, I have a real bad leg. I’ll probably head right down the slope. :heart:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ipiratemedia said:

I’m going to add it to my bucket list for next winter Ashley. Great suggestion. I’m going to give it a shot, considering, I have a real bad leg. I’ll probably head right down the slope. :heart:

And stay on beginers trails , if you go with friends who ski, and they say, "try this trail, you can do it", and it's not a beginners trail, DON'T do it! You need to build confidence, and getting stuck on a trail that's too difficult for you will kill it

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ipiratemedia said:

Lol. I’m originally from North Jersey. (Hoboken) I now live were Sharks roam the waters. #1 in shark attacks.. New Smyrna Beach Florida. So you will never catch me above the water, because breaking a leg, is not possible, but losing a leg is. I would hate to witness a couple of teen Sharks, bickering over who’s going to eat me first. I do a lot of Scuba Diving during the summer, I treasure hunt with my Excalibur metal detector. I  have to work as subcontractor, under the famous Mel Fisher. (his family have leasing rights.) I personally, would of love  being able to Ski, getting back on topic. Do you ski-Ram?  :cool:

I don't.  Had both knees replaced 5 years ago due to tearing them up over the years playing sports like a maniac.  It was worth it though.  Good memories.  That's why I respect these unknown athletes.  They're dedicating their lives to be an Olympian.  They've never sign a 5 year  $125 million contract.  They do it for the love of their sport.  So cool.  Hoboken is Giants territory.  Our Eagles have flown - finally.  I think Ashley might be an Eagles fan.  Right Ashley?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rammer said:

I don't.  Had both knees replaced 5 years ago due to tearing them up over the years playing sports like a maniac.  It was worth it though.  Good memories.  That's why I respect these unknown athletes.  They're dedicating their lives to be an Olympian.  They've never sign a 5 year  $125 million contract.  They do it for the love of their sport.  So cool.  Hoboken is Giants territory.  Our Eagles have flown - finally.  I think Amy might be an Eagles fan.  Right Amy?

Nah, I'm not an Eagles fan, I'm a crazy Eagles fanatic! Sad the seasons over, but it was amazing! I'm a Sixers and Phillies fan also, Dont really watch our Flyers, need to start checking them out too. Where are you from rammer? Sorry if you told me already, I'm bad on that kind of stuff. Like remembering things, duh

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rammer said:

I don't.  Had both knees replaced 5 years ago due to tearing them up over the years playing sports like a maniac.  It was worth it though.  Good memories.  That's why I respect these unknown athletes.  They're dedicating their lives to be an Olympian.  They've never sign a 5 year  $125 million contract.  They do it for the love of their sport.  So cool.  Hoboken is Giants territory.  Our Eagles have flown - finally.  I think Ashley might be an Eagles fan.  Right Ashley?

You had both knees done? jeez, that's tough, how did that work out for you? Did you get any relief from them

4 minutes ago, ashleyxyz said:

You had both knees done? jeez, that's tough, how did that work out for you? Did you get any relief from them

Both at the same time.  I was bone on bone both legs.  Worked my quads before, went to rehab after and joined a gym and did the work on the machines and the pool.  Wasn't bad at all.  I don't have any pain but I'll never run or jump again.  Or ski.  If you do the work you earn the rewards.  Like the Eagles and our Olympians.

• Like 1