European General Politics #1

There have been comments about Brexit elsewhere and I would like to point out that May's "Brexit means Brexit" mantra is as meaningless as it sounds. We only hear from the extremists, probably from both sides but certainly on the Leave side and to give you some idea the effective leader of the Brexiteers voted for May's deal despite promising he'd vote with the DUP and all apart from about 30 of the ERG group (the hard Brexiteers) voted for her and yet the newspapers used words like "Brexit Betrayal."

As far as Trump is concerned the UK leaving weakens the UK and of course he backs self-interested populist politicians such as Farage and Johnson. As you know the UK press is dominated by the right. But on top of the traditional right wing papers the Daily Mail (the biggest selling paper) and the Daily Express who tend to attack all foreigners and poor people there is the Murdoch press. Murdoch, who has continually planted his people at No. 10 with both parties (and his wife fantisised about Tony Blair), was asked why he was so anti-EU and he answered that he could control the British government but had no power in the EU. So as you can see with a readership of at least 5 million a day he is able to spread his personal propaganda for his own personal interest. After all what makes anyone think the ex-Marxist ex-Australian power hungry American head of Fox News would actually have the interests of the British people at heart. In fact he has a history of taking revenge on people who have spurned him which basically includes several members of the British government although he has many in position to take over once again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 10:18 PM, BBsq69 said:

There have been comments about Brexit elsewhere and I would like to point out that May's "Brexit means Brexit" mantra is as meaningless as it sounds. We only hear from the extremists, probably from both sides but certainly on the Leave side and to give you some idea the effective leader of the Brexiteers voted for May's deal despite promising he'd vote with the DUP and all apart from about 30 of the ERG group (the hard Brexiteers) voted for her and yet the newspapers used words like "Brexit Betrayal."

As far as Trump is concerned the UK leaving weakens the UK and of course he backs self-interested populist politicians such as Farage and Johnson. As you know the UK press is dominated by the right. But on top of the traditional right wing papers the Daily Mail (the biggest selling paper) and the Daily Express who tend to attack all foreigners and poor people there is the Murdoch press. Murdoch, who has continually planted his people at No. 10 with both parties (and his wife fantisised about Tony Blair), was asked why he was so anti-EU and he answered that he could control the British government but had no power in the EU. So as you can see with a readership of at least 5 million a day he is able to spread his personal propaganda for his own personal interest. After all what makes anyone think the ex-Marxist ex-Australian power hungry American head of Fox News would actually have the interests of the British people at heart. In fact he has a history of taking revenge on people who have spurned him which basically includes several members of the British government although he has many in position to take over once again.

Actually, Obama spoke and moved against Brexit. I think he was out-of-line.

I personally think we Americans on this side of the pond should think twice about considering what the people of the UK should decide.

Either way, the UK will not evaporate. It has not lost enough of it's cultural identity for self-determination, has it?

(However, like our US problems, it might be advisable to shit or get off the pot!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 10:51 PM, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

Actually, Obama spoke and moved against Brexit. I think he was out-of-line.

He did (*) and he was which means we can't complain when Trump does it now. I think from Obama's POV it strengthens the hand of the West as a whole and we should be joining together to fight China but Trump doesn't see a war he sees individual battles and against EU and against UK, the US position is strengthened.

To continue your metaphor when we sat down there was some glue on part of the seat called the Irish Border. Every single party has let the UK down but we certainly don't want a couple of new parties whose only policy is GET OUT and STAY IN. When asked about other policies the Brexit Party said that they weren't really important and they'd make some up in time for the election but I'm willing to bet that it will look very like a British version of the Tea Party ... an irony that won't be lost on Americans.

* Mainly because Cameron asked him to because of making a ****ing stupid mistake but then as someone who allegedly stuck his cock in a dead pig's head who should be surprised? The one good thing about Cameron - apart from his extraordinary ability to deliver a speech without notes without hesitation - was that he called out Putin on how macho he was challenging him to swim in ice cold water which VP turned down. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wish people would post her a bit more. We can see on  my BREXIT thread people have strong feelings but I feel this is the place to put them. People are very forthright in the US political threads but the BREXIT thread was supposed to be about information. Here I am more inclined to give opinion.

• Like 1

I would venture a guess that many don't interest in European politics. Like many Europeans have no interest in American politics. 

Just think if the individual states that make up the United States went rogue and tried to form their own little countries. It would be mass chaos with each country making it's own laws and rules. Before there was the EU, it seemed every country in Europe got along just fine. But now, with one country getting upset because they have to pay for another country's debt and immigration problems that they didn't create there seems to be a lot on animosity. Take Great Britain for example. London is no longer and English city. It's essentially a Muslim commonwealth on British soil. England is the only country in GB that will put up with it. Scotland, Ireland, Wales, they don't want that filth in their countries, yet some still managed to get there. Italy, Germany, France, etc.. are all turning into giant cesspools from unrestrained immigration. None of this happened until the EU was formed. 

From what I read it's the Northern African and Muslim countries that are creating this problem by wanting to create the same garbage dumps in another country that they left originally. Just like here, the Mexicans, South American and the island nations all fleeing to supposedly make their lives better, but they are just bringing their customs and their own rules and trying to set up shop here instead of assimilating into the laws of the land that they are moving to. We don't want the US getting any worse than it is now. The Inn is full. And they just keep on breeding because they get more money with more babies. 

If I moved to Cuba, I would be expected to learn Cuban Spanish just to survive. If I moved to Columbia or Venezuela, I would be expected to learn their native languages. They sure as hell are not going to change their laws for me and print everything in a multitude of languages just so I could read it. Not so here. The US will print even a voting ballot in any language that you can dream up, even though you have no clue in the world what the candidates stand for. Plus, how the hell can you drive if you can't read the road signs? 

No Borders, No Language, No Culture - - - NO COUNTRY! 

Just my opinion. We all have them.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TBG 150 said:

I would venture a guess that many don't interest in European politics. Like many Europeans have no interest in American politics. 

Just think if the individual states that make up the United States went rogue and tried to form their own little countries. It would be mass chaos with each country making it's own laws and rules. Before there was the EU, it seemed every country in Europe got along just fine. But now, with one country getting upset because they have to pay for another country's debt and immigration problems that they didn't create there seems to be a lot on animosity. Take Great Britain for example. London is no longer and English city. It's essentially a Muslim commonwealth on British soil. England is the only country in GB that will put up with it. Scotland, Ireland, Wales, they don't want that filth in their countries, yet some still managed to get there. Italy, Germany, France, etc.. are all turning into giant cesspools from unrestrained immigration. None of this happened until the EU was formed. 

From what I read it's the Northern African and Muslim countries that are creating this problem by wanting to create the same garbage dumps in another country that they left originally. Just like here, the Mexicans, South American and the island nations all fleeing to supposedly make their lives better, but they are just bringing their customs and their own rules and trying to set up shop here instead of assimilating into the laws of the land that they are moving to. We don't want the US getting any worse than it is now. The Inn is full. And they just keep on breeding because they get more money with more babies. 

If I moved to Cuba, I would be expected to learn Cuban Spanish just to survive. If I moved to Columbia or Venezuela, I would be expected to learn their native languages. They sure as hell are not going to change their laws for me and print everything in a multitude of languages just so I could read it. Not so here. The US will print even a voting ballot in any language that you can dream up, even though you have no clue in the world what the candidates stand for. Plus, how the hell can you drive if you can't read the road signs? 

Too bad i can only give you 1 like for that post

• Like 3

Thanks Spy. I've often wondered why can only give just one like. There have been many posts that I would have liked to give them the 'like limit'. 

How about it SC...think we can institute a 5 like limit?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TBG 150 said:

Well done for having the guts to say this as in UK if you said only a tenth of that you would get had up for being racist and whatever else. I quite agree this mass immigration is just ruining the culture and make up of so many countrys now in many city's its like being in a fucking foreign country. Basically i am not racist but others are ruining many parts of the UK and most of them have no intention of abiding by our laws and traditions or even speaking the language. I am afraid eventually the whole bloody world will get taken over by them thank god i shall not be here to see it.

• Like 4

I don't care what they call me. Racist, homophobic, xenophobic, etc... It's the truth and those that hide behind their silly words know it's the truth, but don't have the guts to admit it. What I despise is someone telling me that I OWE them something. Fuck you. I owe you nothing. Get up off of your lazy ass and go work for it. I don't want to hear some sorry excuse that you can't because you are of a certain race or color. That's just a lame excuse for your laziness.

I work with a lot of Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Cubans, Haitians and yes, even a few Russians are in the mix. We all do the same job for basically the same money. Many of them own their own trucks and will run until the law says they have to stop. Every one of these guys worked to learn English, better themselves and their families. I don't have a bad word to say about them. When I moved here, I made friends with them and I'm liked in the group.

But to sit on your ass and cry that 'woe is me shit', doesn't fly. The same ones sit around and bad mouth my President, all while loving the jobs and the paychecks that his policies are creating in this country. It's all there if you want it. You just have to go out and apply yourself. This country was destroyed overnight. It's been whittled down for about 40 years. One man isn't going to build it back up overnight. It's going to take the entire country to make it work.

Now I expect to hear from all of those that want to tell me that I don't know shit about the inner city blight. The population and the government of that city made it was it is today. ONLY the population and proper leadership are going to change it. Handing out free phones and free housing isn't going to help. Tax the shit out of all of this imported crap. Maybe then America will wake up and start manufacturing their own goods again like we used too. Every thing that Americans consume can be made in this country from it's own resources. I'm not saying screw other countries, just not to depend on anyone but yourself. Greed is the root of all evil, not money. It just powers the greed. How much is enough?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBG 150 said:

Greed is the root of all evil, not money. It just powers the greed.

I was listening to an interview with Nick Offerman (aka Ron Swanson from P&R) and he said that in the past The American dream was to work hard, own your own house and provide well for your family. He said now it is to own 3 or 4 cars a couple of houses and be almost rich. This is what greed has done. You probably do need some greedy people. Greed is a motivator but I think is a bad idea that is more than a tiny proportion of the population. There is greed for power as well as wealth and this probably shown more clearly in Murdoch than Trump. My feeling is Trump desires wealth and fame more than the actual power. He wasn't very good at running businesses and making money -  basically any idiot given his background could have made money - but he is very good at publicity. When he initially ran for President I imagine it was the raising of his profile that was way more important to him than actually winning. Being President is hard work, well it should be, and I don't get the impression he likes hard work.

Trump is a walking egomaniac. I don't particularly like the man, but I like the way he wants to look out for his country and the people that made this country great. If this was anyone else but Trump, that was trying to do what Trump is trying to do, most of it would have been done already. He doesn't know when to shut up, keep his opinions off of social media and govern the country. He has to badmouth everyone he comes across like he's the greatest thing there is. 

There is a way to appeal to the voter to win that voter over. But you have to do it with tact and accuracy. Posting something on a social media account and then turning right around and saying, 'I didn't say that', is plain bull shit. If you say something or say you are going to do something, own up to it. But don't turn around and blatantly lie about it. That does not build credibility.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/1/2019 at 12:10 PM, TBG 150 said:

I totally agree with this, although politically I would be at the opposite end of the spectrum to the recent posters on here - and BTW if people are not interested in Europen politics I am not sure why they would post here or even waste their own time reading this thread but hey ho - but "When in Rome ..." You come to another country, you should embrace their language/s and culture. You shouldn't forget your own but  recognise it is up to you to fit in. I think this is where faith schools are very damaging. Nothing has been more divisive than Catholic/Protestant schools in Northern Ireland and previously some areas of the western UK like Liverpool and Glasgow, so when we start taking in Muslim schools we should not be surprised when that divisiveness is magnified.

There has been too much tolerance of what to Western societies are outdated views and practices. I am talking about arranged/forced marriages, FGM and the general subjugation of women, intolerance towards homosexuality, dismissal of other religions as infidels condemned to some kind of hell, supporting other countries ambitions once they are here and last but not least blaming the West/Christianity for being rich and powerful and in the past subjugating them as though that has anything to do with the world today. Some actually hate the countries they live in and these schools do not hate. And just in case those schools are not enough there are often religious schools after hours.

Some people will argue that as they have to accept our culture we must accept theirs but we have been too tolerant of some of their practices and in particular views expressed in mosques by some of the most senior mullahs. They are quite clearly hate speech and outside those institution they would not be tolerated.

You might say well what about Polish supermarkets and newspapers etc. - this is what really sparked UKIP in the first place - but a lot of that was about a large number of migrant workers who were going home and would probably be fully integrated in a generation. There just was not time and with 2008 people started to blame all sorts of other people. Besides which there is talk of the burden on the education system caused by non-English speakers which is easily understandable. Too many too fast but they do not expect to move here as live here as if it were Poland. they will either go home or become British. Clearly that is not the case for many of other communities.

I'm not sure how many Americans live abroad but Brits will be aware of large British community in Spain which let's be honest has made almost no effort to become Spanish. I think in that case I could argue they are mainly people retiring and their descendants are unlikely to settle but there are definitely areas about which there is nothing native apart from the weather.

Just to bring in Brexit: big cities, especially ports like London and Liverpool, are used to immigration. What was different here was some smaller towns felt "swamped" (a controversial word) by EU immigrants whereas most of the immigration from the subcontinent and the West Indies/Africa had been either into big cities or into concentrated areas where communities had been building over decades. Personally I don't get it because inevitably less immigration from more culturally similar Europeans inevitably means more immigration from less culturally similar areas and indeed if you listen carefully to some of the chief Brexiteers (the ones living in the real world as opposed to Nigel Farage's cloud cuckoo land) they have openly admitted this.