The cc UEFA Nations League topic.

2 hours ago, Oldstalker said:

AND it was wonderfully done! A superb final match for a superb cricketer; I predict, with the modern emphasis on limited overs cricket [T20s, ODIs, Limited Overs county games etc, etc, etc ad nauseam] that we shall not see such an excellent Test cricketer and role model for others again, for a while in England, probably if EVER again.

In the last few years there have been a number of great prospects but so far none of the batsmen have impressed - with all rounders we've had better luck although no definite greats yet. And Jimmy Anderson has pulled level with Glen McGrath as the most prolific wicket taken among fast bowlers. Knighthood is surely a certainty for Alistair probably followed in a couple of years by one for Jimmy.

Same problem in football with players like Alli and Barkley.especially the latter. Even Rooney was never quite the player he looked like he would become at 17.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oldstalker said:

AND it was wonderfully done! A superb final match for a superb cricketer; I predict, with the modern emphasis on limited overs cricket [T20s, ODIs, Limited Overs county games etc, etc, etc ad nauseam] that we shall not see such an excellent Test cricketer and role model for others again, for a while in England, probably if EVER again.

He's retired too early IMO. He said he had nothing left in the tank...Didn't look like that to me today...😏

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nagachilli2 said:

He's retired too early IMO. He said he had nothing left in the tank...Didn't look like that to me today...😏

Different occasion for him though. He could scored more centuries but it is about time we had some other opening batsmen who could take responsibility. Test cricket's in a funny place at the moment. We won 4-1 but if you look at the batting form at the top order it has been pretty dire outside today but India have just been terrible and I thought they were supposed to be the top side and they bowled fine but almost all their batsmen look terrified.

10 minutes ago, BBsq69 said:

Different occasion for him though. He could scored more centuries but it is about time we had some other opening batsmen who could take responsibility. Test cricket's in a funny place at the moment. We won 4-1 but if you look at the batting form at the top order it has been pretty dire outside today but India have just been terrible and I thought they were supposed to be the top side and they bowled fine but almost all their batsmen look terrified.

I thought we bowled well though, so credit where credits due. That's why they looked terrified...:biggrin: