Finer Things in Life -- Barbecue stories

Between the heartburn and the other associated smoke problems, I just grille the food and enjoy. I'm a simple person that doesn't like complicated. That's why I drove old cars...simple.

• Like 1

We prefer hickory with our Traeger--as both my wife and I like the heavier smoky flavor.  Made a Tri-tip twice, but one time used Cherry wood and that was good.  both times turned

our moist, tender, juicy---yummmmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 1

Indirect heat is definitely the way to go when smoking meats. One thing most have never tired is smoking a chub of bologna. Take the rind off and 3 or 4 pound chunk, and cut a diamond pattern into chunk all the way around about an 1/2 deep, you can add your favorite rub if you like, then smoke at 175 to 200 for about 3 to 4 hours. AMAZING. I like to use use peach, apple, and cherry wood for most of smoking I do, but when smoking butts or pork of any kind, I like to use hickory and apple combination.

I have homemade bottom firebox water pan 5 rack smoker I made almost 30 years ago, it is still smoking and cooking meat to perfection.

I use lump charcoal I buy from guy who makes it in central Kansas, big chunks of burnt wood is what it looks like in case you were wondering.

• Like 1

I've done slices of bologna, and it was quite the treat.

I've also done large Portobello mushrooms and they come out tasting like a tender steak.

I considered building a vertical smoker, but never got around to it. 10 points for you Thestarider for having the tenacity to build a real one. The store-bought vertical smokers are either cheap thin-walled crap or highly expensive. They simply don't last unless you spend the big bucks or built your own from decent metal.

On 7/6/2019 at 7:36 PM, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

You're going to do great here, my friend. Nothing beats fresh ingredients for great barbecue. And of our members here, you no doubt are the master of prep and cooking for very fresh ingredients.

thank you mr. squirrel, i do go out of my way to use fresh ingredients.  when i cook bone in ribeyes i have them cut fresh by the butcher.  most of my BBQ'ing comes in the form of deer meat, pork, or fish.  i love me some fresh grilled fish!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HarleyFatboy said:

thank you mr. squirrel, i do go out of my way to use fresh ingredients.  when i cook bone in ribeyes i have them cut fresh by the butcher.  most of my BBQ'ing comes in the form of deer meat, pork, or fish.  i love me some fresh grilled fish!!

I really surprised being so close the gulf that you don't get some of the fresh big shrimp the size of your hand to grill, every time I go to Houston I make sure and get down to the wharf and by a shit load of fresh seafood and flash freeze it in dry ice. I usually bring a large Yeti cooler full. Here in the heartland it is not very good, and cost a friggen fortune to get the good stuff.

On 7/6/2019 at 7:36 PM, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

I've been using a horizontal with a smoke box, with a thick gauge of metal for years. I generally just use charcoal and wood and water-smoke. But that takes a lot of manual tending the heat and moisture. Hence, the cost of my beer goes way up. I just tell the wife, "Gee hon, this is really hard grueling work out in the summer sun -- makes a man thirsty."

i use a custom built pit with a firebox on one end. it's 20" in diameter and 1/4" thick.  it has a good strong handle on the smokestack end with 10" wheels on the firebox end for ease of moving.  it has a 3/8" hole with a catch trap underneath it near the firebox.  the key to the pit is a tall smokestack which greatly increases the drawl of smoke through the pit and makes the temperature control almost a no brainer!  my preferred temp for almost all meats is 225-250 deg.  i cook my briskets at 250, 1 hr. for every pound.......12 lb. brisket is 12 hrs.  my chicken and pork is by visualization only.

1 minute ago, Thestarider said:

I really surprised being so close the gulf that you don't get some of the fresh big shrimp the size of your hand to grill, every time I go to Houston I make sure and get down to the wharf and by a shit load of fresh seafood and flash freeze it in dry ice of fresh seafood. I usually bring a large Yeti cooler full. Here in the heartland it is not very good, and cost a friggen fortune to get the good stuff.

lol grilled shrimp is my middle name.  i go down to the wharf as you call it at a minimum of twice a month just to get the large shrimp and yellowfin tuna for grilling.  this is starting to make my mouth water as we speak lol. you are correct, the wharf will save you a ton of money when it comes to buying fresh seafood!!

18 minutes ago, HarleyFatboy said:

the Traeger is a nice cooker, but in no way would i consider that BBQ'ing!

You even highlighted the part where I said but just bought a Traeger--and it does beat the Weber IMO for smoking and cooking.  

So Harley, since you informed me that I am not barbequing and this topic is on barbequeing--I will not be posting in here with asshole remarks being made in here like that .

Don't know why you singled me out cause others have indicated they were using smokers also. 

On 7/7/2019 at 5:01 AM, TBG 150 said:

I've been in this new house for 3 years in August and can count the times on one hand that the stove has been used. Everything, from breakfast to a full blown meal has been cooked outside on the Weber. I can't even imagine ruining any meat in an oven unless you have one that can cook at 200F up to 2000F. Only very high end kitchens have 2000F broilers.

Just last night I indulged in a rack of Low-N-Slow back ribs, (4 hours) a seasoned vegetable medley, hand cut fries that were done on a grille mat, (I love those things) and thick sliced garlic toast.

Yep, made a few mistakes here and there, simply because of lack of tending over the last few minutes of the meal. Having to eat those mistakes makes you work harder to never let that happen again.

you're speaking my kind of language now lol.  it's hard to beat a slow cooked rack of baby back ribs!!  how do you like using the grill mats for vegetables?  i love the grill mats for not just vegetables but for other things like shrimp and chicken livers and yellowfin tuna steaks........grill mats are very handy when cooking on the grill !

yes, failure to tend the grill will make you try a lot harder the next time........been there, done that!!

Just now, happyone said:

You even highlighted the part where I said but just bought a Traeger--and it does beat the Weber IMO for smoking and cooking.  

So Harley, since you informed me that I am not barbequing and this topic is on barbequeing--I will not be posting in here with asshole remarks being made in here like that .

Don't know why you singled me out cause others have indicated they were using smokers also. 

don't take it the wrong way H1, that's not what i meant when i said it wasn't BBQ'ing.  the Traeger is a cooker that maintains heat at what ever temperature you set it at digitally.  it maintains the smoke by feeding wood pellets into a heater/burner.  there is a big difference between cooking on a Traeger or by using a BBQ pit that you have to manually feed wood or charcoal to.  i guess i shouldn't have said it's not BBQ'ing as some people are very sensitive about damn near everything.  i can't speak for anyone else but to me it's not BBQ'ing when you can set a desired temperature and go inside only to come back out in 4 hrs. and pull your meat off to eat.........it's like cooking in an oven IMO.  sorry if i torqued you a little there H1 !