Finer Things in Life -- Barbecue stories

On 7/7/2019 at 5:23 AM, TBG 150 said:

Not a grilling story, but a suggestion for those that like a clean grille.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F731D86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought one of these and it is a great tool to have. I use to simply buy the $2.00 wire brush from Homey Dumpo. After a month the wires do start breaking off and you need to pay attention that they don't become attached to the grids/grates and then you ingest them. 

This tool goes into the dishwasher after use and it comes out like you just bought it. Very strong and long enough where you don't singe the hair off of your arms using it in a hot fired grille. For 20 spot, you can't beat it.

looks like a good tool for cleaning the grill for sure.  you do have to watch for bristles when you use wire brushes and the one you bought would definitely eliminate that!  thanks for the link and sharing it!!

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 2:52 PM, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

Name your favorite smoking wood.

When I can get it, grapefruit is excellent, especially for those meats that tend to become bitter when over-smoked with woods like mesquite. The fruit is sour, but the wood itself imparts a sweet, mellow flavor.

Generally, I use fruit, nut trees, and oak chunks since I live in the land of fruits and nuts. 😉

my favorite smoking woods are........oak, pecan, apple, mesquite, hickory, and cherry.  a water pan is a must when smoking meats IMO.  i must admit that i've never used grapefruit and wouldn't even know where to get it.

10 minutes ago, HarleyFatboy said:

there is a big difference between cooking on a Traeger or by using a BBQ pit that you have to manually feed wood or charcoal to.  i guess i shouldn't have said it's not BBQ'ing as some people are very sensitive about damn near everything.  i can't speak for anyone else but to me it's not BBQ'ing when you can set a desired temperature and go inside only to come back out in 4 hrs. and pull your meat off to eat.........it's like cooking in an oven IMO.  

i guess i shouldn't have said it's not BBQ'ing as some people are very sensitive about damn near everything.

since I use a Traeger, there really isn't anything more than I can contribute---

Thanks for ruining a good forum --for me anyway.  It is not about being sensitive--it is about your attitude--

No need for me to stay where some people put down others for the way they cook their meals---you are the master as you have indicated in your posts already--enough said.

On 7/7/2019 at 3:12 PM, TBG 150 said:

Honestly, I've never smoked anything. So, doing so would require a great learning curve.

Plus, when I have gone to restaurants that serve smoked food, I pay dearly in the bathroom because of it. Getting old sucks sometimes. Plus, I'm not a fan of restaurants anyway.

Pork, I like cooked slow so it's tenderized. Steaks, seared so that it is done, but not burned on the outside, but fairly rare in the middle. 

Chicken, it's a simple 1 hour deal at 400F, whole or in pieces. Slow cooking chicken dries it out to the point where it's not edible. Ultra lean pork has to be cooked a fair rate too or it gets dried out. You need that fat in the meat to baste it naturally. Good meat doesn't require heavy seasoning. I like to taste the steak, not just the seasoning. 

Time depends on the thickness of the cut too. A 2" thick steak to me, is no good. I like no thicker than 3/4"-1". It takes just a few minutes over a hot flame to cook it to perfection. Everyone learns on their own grille. You need to know the hot spots and the cool spots of the grille to serve properly cooked meat. That also dictates where on the grille a specific cut or doneness is to be cooked. 

Pork is one of the most tastiest meats if not over cooked.  I would eat a steak that you cooked anytime.  you cook yours the way i like to cook mine.....excellent way to cook a steak!

Chicken is a good grilling/smoking meat that to me is always cooked by personal preference.  sometimes i cook it fast and sometimes i slow cook it......just depends on the mood i'm in and how much beer there is!  sometimes i like to stick a can full of beer up my favorite yard birds ass and cook it until the beer is gone lol.  give me a cooler full of beer and i'll show you a cooler full of good ideas!!

1" thick steaks are perfect.  when i have my bone in ribeyes cut, i always have them cut 1" thick.  like you said, it's just the right cut to make the steak the best it can be!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, happyone said:

since I use a Traeger, there really isn't anything more than I can contribute---

Thanks for ruining a good forum --for me anyway.  It is not about being sensitive--it is about your attitude--

No need for me to stay where some people put down others for the way they cook their meals---you are the master as you have indicated in your posts already--enough said.

i will bow out and you can continue H1.  i didn't mean to start a war over it!  enjoy the thread and happy BBQ'ing!!

21 hours ago, Thestarider said:

Indirect heat is definitely the way to go when smoking meats. One thing most have never tired is smoking a chub of bologna. Take the rind off and 3 or 4 pound chunk, and cut a diamond pattern into chunk all the way around about an 1/2 deep, you can add your favorite rub if you like, then smoke at 175 to 200 for about 3 to 4 hours. AMAZING. I like to use use peach, apple, and cherry wood for most of smoking I do, but when smoking butts or pork of any kind, I like to use hickory and apple combination.

I have homemade bottom firebox water pan 5 rack smoker I made almost 30 years ago, it is still smoking and cooking meat to perfection.

I use lump charcoal I buy from guy who makes it in central Kansas, big chunks of burnt wood is what it looks like in case you were wondering.

I'm jealous as hell of you barbecue experts and your wall to wall sunshine.Where I am(Scotland)we don't get long enough spells of really hot weather to get up close and personal with a barbecue.BTW some of your food ideas sound and no doubt taste delicious.Enjoy😥

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happyone said:

Nonsense, happyone. Stay here. Personally, I would love to have a Traeger along side my old machine, and I'd also like a pit in the ground (large, for pig roasts), and a cold smoke house for cheese and dried salmon. Stay here, dammit.

I've had pros who don't think I barbecue anything correctly because I use charcoal instead of pure wood. Some people think that real barbecue cannot be done if it includes grilling over fire. That's also nonsense. If you're cooking outside with a fire like our distant ancestors did, that's good enough for me.

I'm certain that absolutely no offense was intended.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dave 27 said:

I'm jealous as hell of you barbecue experts and your wall to wall sunshine.Where I am(Scotland)we don't get long enough spells of really hot weather to get up close and personal with a barbecue.BTW some of your food ideas sound and no doubt taste delicious.Enjoy😥

I am fortunate that I can barbecue any time I like, but when it's 28F and raining, I wait for the weather to clear. Other than that, the Thanksgiving 20 lb. turkey and the Christmas ham always happen. Cold weather just means you'll go through more wood and charcoal. (I'd buy a Traeger if I lived there. I've got Scottish blood, so you guys are my cousins, and weather cannot stop us.)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

I am fortunate that I can barbecue any time I like, but when it's 28F and raining, I wait for the weather to clear. Other than that, the Thanksgiving 20 lb. turkey and the Christmas ham always happen. Cold weather just means you'll go through more wood and charcoal. (I'd buy a Traeger if I lived there. I've got Scottish blood, so you guys are my cousins, and weather cannot stop us.)

Wow Foamy...That's impressive! I can just about manage a 6oz turkey burger on mine lol...😏

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

I am fortunate that I can barbecue any time I like, but when it's 28F and raining, I wait for the weather to clear. Other than that, the Thanksgiving 20 lb. turkey and the Christmas ham always happens. Cold weather just means you'll go through more wood and charcoal. (I'd buy a Traeger if I lived there. I've got Scottish blood, so you guys are my cousins, and weather cannot stop us.)

yep we just adapt and get on with it.

4 minutes ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

I am fortunate that I can barbecue any time I like, but when it's 28F and raining, I wait for the weather to clear. Other than that, the Thanksgiving 20 lb. turkey and the Christmas ham always happens. Cold weather just means you'll go through more wood and charcoal. (I'd buy a Traeger if I lived there. I've got Scottish blood, so you guys are my cousins, and weather cannot stop us.)

Anybody here who has cooked with a "big green egg?" That's the oval Asian style cooker. I have a friend once who cooked great stuff with it and was a religious fanatic when it came to extolling its virtues. I haven't tried one, but I'll add that to my wish list along with the Traeger, the large wood pit, and the smoke house.

17 minutes ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

Nonsense, happyone. Stay here. Personally, I would love to have a Traeger along side my old machine, and I'd also like a pit in the ground (large, for pig roasts), and a cold smoke house for cheese and dried salmon. Stay here, dammit.

I've had pros who don't think I barbecue anything correctly because I use charcoal instead of pure wood. Some people think that real barbecue cannot be done if it includes grilling over fire. That's also nonsense. If you're cooking outside with a fire like our distant ancestors did, that's good enough for me.

I agree with Foamy, this thread is a real mans thread for all those who grill and smoke meats and other foods, we can share recipes and teach each many good things about how too. We can also share a good drink of whiskey or scotch as the case may be. 

So here is too all you grillers and smokers on CC, BTW Treagers are fucking awesome and hell of lot less work.

Image result for blantos nourboin

• Like 1