Get rid of and close the Rants & Flame wars section

jabbath1987

Get rid of and close the Rants & Flame wars section  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get rid of and close the Rants & Flame wars section

• Yes, close it.
    • No, leave it open.

I think we're going to leave this here because the topic is valid in and of itself. Most people don't know WHY it was asked because most members just scroll pass over feudish comments or past people with whom they disagree and they have no idea Amy3 and Jabbath don't get along. And if I wasn't a mod, I'd ignore it, too. Personal animosities don't belong in the apartment threads or in Polls and Surveys. They belong in the back of the school yard over at Rants and Flames. That's why we're not going to get rid of that Forum. So please everybody, calm down. We're not here to please Snowflakes or restrict opinions: we just want comments posted in the appropriate place.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Amy3 said:

So you leave the comments calling me a shit stirrer and whatever else, yet you delete the very non offensive posts at the end which essentially settled things between Jabbath and myself. That's what I don't understand. That's what's irritating me so much about you moderators. Far to often you guys miss the mark and fail to understand what is really going on. Far too often, it's just easy to put Amy3 in her place at the beckon call of the reporters sensitivities and call it a day. 

Like I said this whole poll question is ironically a rant and if you can read between the lines it's one primarily directed at me. 

We Mods spend most of our personal time having to deal with reading between the lines, so our members who actually want to discuss things logically or objectively can do so. If members prefer to partake in, or witness kick fighting, they are free to do so in the appropriate area.

That's why we have Rants & Flames. "Should we keep Rants & Flames?" is a legitimate concept for discussion among the members, especially those who don't want to waste their time watching kick fighting.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 11:19 PM, Amy3 said:

Indeed and I know that you guys do try. And I know why the rants exists. But, here the mark was missed. Perhaps the question is legitimate, but the intent was to rant about my rant and quickly turned into it's own rant. Even you got confused where you were. The whole thing from the beginning should have been shoved into the rants column cause that's what it is. All of it.

Check out the new reaction idea. Between that and the Ignore button, I'm hoping we can do without Rants & Flames.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amy3 said:

For one, my apologies and my request to remove my rant against Jabbath went flatly ignored. I know that you and stncld discussed this as it happened. Since there was no explanation I can only speculate. But I won't say what I think about that here in the wild. 

As for this "reaction" idea, it will do no good and does not enhance your site whatsoever. In fact, it's stupid. A forum should discourage ways for simple emoji responses and encourage ways that create real interaction and discussion.

Also, what keeps your forum alive is the dopamine feedback loop the reps create. There's a reason that FB doesn't have dislikes, it's because it defeats the power of the loop and will likey just scare people from saying anything they think the popular posters won't like. If one joins a forum and gets dislikes, they will just leave in short order.

Besides, as the other guy said this solves nothing and for someone like me, would only embolden my haters and their clone armies to stifle someone like me even further. All you did was give another, more visual, way for those with such power to dictate what can and cannot be said in the forum. People with the wrong bend will be labelled trolls and will be bullied away into oblivion by the "good and just" ruling class. The people who stir the pot and create content and interaction will be shunned and shamed. Watch as your forum turns further into a little girls tea party with this very ill conceived idea. An idea specifically created to spare you mods from having to do anything, mind you. 

I'm woke to how this whole thing is a waste of life. I'll spare you my sad story, but know that it almost ruined me on many different levels. I hope others will see me and understand that following this crap day in and day out is an utter waste of their time. I hope they find a way to curb the addiction as much as they possibly can. 

Amy.....you are my hero!!!  If i could write like a poet I would.  i barely even got an edumacation but when I read your posts, it's as if i've known you all my life.  You are A ok in my book....keep up the good work Amy!!!  You are absolutely correct in the fact that this forum caters to the suck asses and unfortunately it's been like that for way too long!!  I don't agree with all the extra bling for a simple "like". I honestly believe it will ruin this forum to the point that the Admin and Mods say......fuck it.  It is definitely being setup to to empower those that think you and I are trolls.  Without you or I and a few others on this forum, this forum wouldn't be worth a damn.  I've been having a hard time trying to understand how this forum survives with such a one way mentality.  I'm glad that somebody else see's it that way as well.  Amy, I think you are 100% correct and "just" in your words of wisdom.  After today when I read that Noldus wants to set up a Poll to get rid of me, it really made it all clear.  i will not give the Noldus' and the H1's that satisfaction and I will continue to post how I feel and think about the tenants and RLC until the day comes that the cry babies finally get their way.

My hat is off to you Amy and I appreciate you more than you will ever know!!!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HarleyFatboy said:

It is definitely being setup to to empower those that think you and I are trolls. 

You guys make me laugh with the theory's you come up with. That's not the purpose the Buttons were installed for.

When we switched to this Version of IPS Forum Software in 2016 the Posts already had a Upvote, Downvote and Like Buttons. They were all enabled at that time.  The only thing was some members were abusing the Downvote so we disabled it leaving the posts with just the Like and Upvote Buttons. Since not very many were using the Like or Upvote Buttons we added some extra ones to the list hoping to garner more use of the Buttons on certain Posts such as Pictures and Videos where most of the Likes and Upvotes are done. As you can see in Picture and Video Topics in RLC Boards there are Thousands of Views on Pictures and Videos and most times a Poster would only get anywhere from 5 to 15 Likes or Upvotes when they should be getting at least 20 to 25% of the Members that view them give some sort of a reaction.  If a Member gets 50 Reactions on a Post, a Ribbon Attaches itself to the Post making it Stand Out amongst the Posts showing this is a Popular Post which you don't see many Posts as such amongst the Forum. If there is any abuse of the Downvote Button it will be disabled.

As far as the Postings go you are more than welcome to post. All we ask is that you stay within the Forum Guidelines and Follow the Rules of the Forum and respect other Members Posts without putting a post down because one doesn't share the same view as the next and try to stay on the Topic as much as possible.  It's fine to disagree with a post but it can still be done in a respectful manner without upsetting the applecart. Respect goes both ways but when a Topic becomes disruptive then Mods or Myself have to step in and take some course of action to get the Topic back on track.  If it doesn't then the Warning Points start getting handed out and you know what happens when getting those. Just a few little simple things and everyone can get along.  

Hoping this here will clear up about what the Reaction Buttons are for.   Maybe for some they don't mean anything but for others they mean a lot.  

• Like 1

It's a sad thing when their lives are governed by the likes and dislikes of a silly forum post.

That's the way of the world these days. Sit inside, argue about cam whores and cow farts. I'd hate to be growing up in a world like this. They don't know the fun we had as kids.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 10/3/2019 at 1:25 AM, Amy3 said:

For one, my apologies and my request to remove my rant against Jabbath went flatly ignored. I know that you and stncld discussed this as it happened. Since there was no explanation I can only speculate. But I won't say what I think about that here in the wild. 

As for this "reaction" idea, it will do no good and does not enhance your site whatsoever. In fact, it's stupid. A forum should discourage ways for simple emoji responses and encourage ways that create real interaction and discussion. 

Also, what keeps your forum alive is the dopamine feedback loop the reps create. There's a reason that FB doesn't have dislikes, it's because it defeats the power of the loop and will likey just scare people from saying anything they think the popular posters won't like. If one joins a forum and gets dislikes, they will just leave in short order.

Besides, as the other guy said this solves nothing and for someone like me, would only embolden my haters and their clone armies to stifle someone like me even further. All you did was give another, more visual, way for those with such power to dictate what can and cannot be said in the forum. People with the wrong bend will be labelled trolls and will be bullied away into oblivion by the "good and just" ruling class. The people who stir the pot and create content and interaction will be shunned and shamed. Watch as your forum turns further into a little girls tea party with this very ill conceived idea. An idea specifically created to spare you mods from having to do anything, mind you. 

I'm woke to how this whole thing is a waste of life. I'll spare you my sad story, but know that it almost ruined me on many different levels. I hope others will see me and understand that following this crap day in and day out is an utter waste of their time. I hope they find a way to curb the addiction as much as they possibly can. 

Looking at this forum is certainly not a waste of my life because I know where my priorities lie.The whole thing in it's entirety is merely a very small part of my very happy family life and in no way does it influence how I live or think.In my short time as a CC member I have come to understand that to some membes CC is a way to come over as know-all smart-asses who love to think they have their fingers on the pulse of all matters on here.What I don't get is that we don't REALLY know each other so how can we accurately criticise.For instance a member said on here "get out and exercise and enjoy the fresh air" or something along these lines but said it in the middle of a rant about something else.There are members on here that due to severe disabilities cannot enjoy the luxury of such simple activities so before any member opens their mouths just stop and think about what you are about to say.There is a new member just joined and in his profile has revealed he is confined to a wheelchair.In summing up imo there are too many members who take this forum far too seriously and become fixated and paranoid about other members and what they say and how they choose to live their lives.Look after your own life,be respectful of others and their opinions,and really who gives a fuck if there is one like button or a million other buttons.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dave 27 said:

.Look after your own life,be respectful of others and their opinions,and really who gives a fuck if there is one like button or a million other buttons. w

The ones most concerned about the down buttons are those who know their own posts are most deserving of it and they don't want to lose.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, happyone said:

The ones most concerned about the down buttons are those who know their own posts are most deserving of it and they don't want to lose.

LOL way to use those down buttons H1.  it's because of people like yourself that take RLC and CC way to seriously just like Dave and several others have said, that you are not a grown enough adult to skip over a post and ignore it and therefore that down button was made just for you and the ones like you.  you let shit get under your skin worse than anyone i've ever seen, you wear your heart on your sleeve and RLC & CC are your life.  Right now i'm thinking that without them you would just wither away!!

P.S.  you and your cronies can give me all the down votes you want if that's what makes your world go around!!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Amy3 said:

Let's talk when you hit 30+ posts/average per day. You are at 7.45.

A perfect example of the fixation and paranoia I referred to in my post.

The day I come anywhere near 30+ posts is the day I realise I don't have a life but that's just my opinion.

I paid my 20 bucks like everyone else on here and please correct me if I'm wrong but 1post per day entitles me to my opinion maybe not as informed as you but nevertheless still entitled.

As far as I'm concerned even a semi-intelligent person like me can grasp what goes on in this forum with 7.45 posts per day.Sheesh!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1