Discussion: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) #1

itsme

18 minutes ago, nagachilli2 said:

We have a few cases here in UK, and quite a few people in quarantine who've come back from Italy, Tenerife and, obviously, China. What I'd like to know is the age of the victims who've died from it, and whether they had any other underlining conditions...There may be more of it around, and it looks like it's easier to contract and spread than Influenza A, but I'm not sure if it's any more pathogenic than Flu...Of course, as of now, there doesn't appear to be a vaccine...Apparently the death rate in China runs at 2-4%, but only 0.7% elsewhere...

I agree, it would be really helpful if we knew the details about the victims that have died from it. Sounds like it's getting bad in the UK but why haven't they banned travel from those places yet? Quarantine seems like a last resort.

15 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

Just have too wait and see what happens. To what has been out in the Media it's spreading to other Nations. Europe, Italy, Spain etc....  it's slowly creeping up all over.

Any cases in Canada yet? All seems quiet up there. Now that I think of it not much info about it out of Africa or South America either. Weird seems multiple places in Europe seem to be on alert. 

14 minutes ago, AntEater said:

I agree, it would be really helpful if we knew the details about the victims that have died from it. Sounds like it's getting bad in the UK but why haven't they banned travel from those places yet? Quarantine seems like a last resort.

I'm assuming they're in quarantine so that they can be observed over the virus's incubation period...Once that's over they can be released...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AntEater said:

Any cases in Canada yet? All seems quiet up there. Now that I think of it not much info about it out of Africa or South America either. Weird seems multiple places in Europe seem to be on alert. 

We got about 12 to 15 cases in Canada is what's being reported so far it could be more. Some may have it and just not seek any Medical help so there are likely cases that go unreported.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StnCld316 said:

We got about 12 to 15 cases in Canada is what's being reported so far it could be more. Some may have it and just not seek any Medical help so there are likely cases that go unreported.

I think the lengthy incubation period isn't helping either.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Dave 27 said:

I think the lengthy incubation period isn't helping either.

No it's not.  The only problem Countries made was bringing their citizens home. They should have just left everyone in China until this mess was clear. Governments think they are doing good but in reality their only adding to the problem.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

No it's not.  The only problem Countries made was bringing their citizens home. They should have just left everyone in China until this mess was clear. Governments think they are doing good but in reality their only adding to the problem.

Yeh definitely,but by the time the virus had revealed it's symptoms those infected had already travelled here there and everywhere.It should have been more rigidly ringfenced in the very early stages though.To be fair though when an Epidemic becomes Pandemic it's a hell of a difficult thing to control.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Dave 27 said:

Yeh definitely,but by the time the virus had revealed it's symptoms those infected had already travelled here there and everywhere.It should have been more rigidly ringfenced in the very early stages though.To be fair though when an Epidemic becomes Pandemic it's a hell of a difficult thing to control.

Hey...I thought I was the only microbiologist here, but you and SC seem to know your stuff..😉

• Haha 2

I heard reports today about it being pretty age related as to the severity of it. Persons 65 and up suffered more than younger and healthier bodies. 

The less informed are already making this a big political thing. Everything is blamed on politics today.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TBG 150 said:

I heard reports today about it being pretty age related as to the severity of it. Persons 65 and up suffered more than younger and healthier bodies. 

The less informed are already making this a big political thing. Everything is blamed on politics today.

My thoughts from the onset...like any other flu type shit, tbh...

• Like 1