Discussion: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) #1

itsme

34 minutes ago, firewall said:

34 % of the critical cases here in France have between 40 and 60 yo, two days ago a girl of 16 yo is dead because of the virus...

everyone is in danger

Remember kids died before the virus too. Who knows what else she might have been suffering with that might have even been unknown to her. In Italy the average age of people dying form corona is 80!  That says a lot to me. South Korea has a 0% death rate for people under 30, and only two people between the age of 30-50 have died. China is reporting similar numbers. Of course there will be a few outliers but look at the numbers, unless someone has some underlying condition everyone is not in danger.

3 minutes ago, Thestarider said:

The most current numbers worldwide                   Infections                                              Deaths                                               Recovered

Total 629,62728,967=4.60% 138,087=22.06%

I think all the numbers didn't post. Thanks for these numbers though, I love stats that also include the recovered and not just infection and deaths. 

46 minutes ago, happyone said:

When someone makes a statement or posts something that is not entirely true--like Alladino did--since this is a discussion forum---a response is warranted---

and the responses do contain arguments to disagree with the original statement  as it relates to the virus response. 

Reuters changed the Topic of there fact checking:

Correction: the headline of this fact-check earlier read “Trump fired pandemic response team in 2018”, it has been amended to “Trump fired entire pandemic response team in 2018”

It seems that they realized that the team has been eliminated after all. Anyway, parts of the team were placed in other groups. I was not aware of this.

However, i think, it's still the same Intention behind this. I find it pretty obvious that Trump didn't see the point and wanted to save money. Anyway, it's only one of many mistakes Trump has made in dealing with this crisis. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alladino said:

Reuters changed the Topic of there fact checking:

It seems that they realized that the team has been eliminated after all. Anyway, parts of the team were placed in other groups. I was not aware of this.

However, i think, it's still the same Intention behind this. I find it pretty obvious that Trump didn't see the point and wanted to save money. Anyway, it's only one of many mistakes Trump has made in dealing with this crisis. 

But Italy and Spain have done a great job of handling it, right?  Why do I never hear any criticism of their leaders?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AntEater said:

Remember kids died before the virus too. Who knows what else she might have been suffering with that might have even been unknown to her. In Italy the average age of people dying form corona is 80!  That says a lot to me. South Korea has a 0% death rate for people under 30, and only two people between the age of 30-50 have died. China is reporting similar numbers. Of course there will be a few outliers but look at the numbers, unless someone has some underlying condition everyone is not in danger.

Sure, for a healthy young person the risk of dying seems to be very low. 

The problem is currently more the treatment possibilities (especially ventilation). If too many People become ill, it can also be problematic for younger people, as there is simply not enough equipment. 

18 minutes ago, Alladino said:

Sure, for a healthy young person the risk of dying seems to be very low. 

The problem is currently more the treatment possibilities (especially ventilation). If too many People become ill, it can also be problematic for younger people, as there is simply not enough equipment. 

I agree with everything which is why we are all in lockdown to save those that are at-risk but that does not mean that everyone else would be at-risk if we did nothing. About 80% of those that do get it only experience mild symptoms and would not require medical care either way. It is still only in problem if too many at-risk individuals get ill, and unhealthy youngsters are among this group.

"What's not clear is how many of them had underlying conditions making them more vulnerable" In other words incomplete data, but enough to cause panic or at least scare the young people that won't listen into staying home.

35 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

But Italy and Spain have done a great job of handling it, right?  Why do I never hear any criticism of their leaders?

Believe me, I am very critical of the reaction of the EU and some EU countries regarding Covid-19.

32 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

Trump has done a hell of a lot better job of handling the coronavirus than Barack Obama did in handling the swine flu. 

Swine flu is not Covid-19:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Alladino said:

Believe me, I am very critical of the reaction of the EU and some EU countries regarding Covid-19.

Swine flu is not Covid-19:

The video just confirmed that covid-19 is a much more difficult disease to fight and is more deadly than was the swine flu. The video also confirms that at least 12,500 people died from the swine flu in the U.S., although, I've heard other sources give a death figure of 17,000.  I never heard any complaints from the news media about Obama's handling of the swine flu.  So if only 10,000 or less die from the coronavirus in the U.S. compared to the 12,500 who died from the swine flu why would Trump be criticized, but Obama not criticized? Especially, when the video states that covid-19 is much more deadly and difficult to treat and control than the swine flu was.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, firewall said:

same here, the people working in the essential sectors continue working (food,truckers,medical,energie...)

I'm an essential service as well.  I have to babysit 10,000 a day on Cam Caps to make sure they behave in a proper manner.   laugh laughing GIF

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 8
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

I'm an essential service as well.  I have to babysit 10,000 a day on Cam Caps to make sure they behave in a proper manner.   laugh laughing GIF

if you need help, it will be a pleasure to ask someone other than me :biggrin:

• Upvote 3