Discussion: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) #1

itsme

On 2/3/2020 at 1:42 AM, itsme said:

How concerned are you about the Coronavirus? Have you done anything to prepare? 

EPz_t_EWsAUhaex.jpeg  0

My son in law and Grandaughter(in business together)recently returned from a business conference in Vegas and both were unwell on return.It turned out it was a food related illness but they both attended the doctor just to be sure.In my area of Scotland there have been no instances so far.

• 3 weeks later...

How bad is it where you are? Have you started taking precautions? Is the news exaggerating what is going on in Europe?

I'm in NY and considering what a hub it is for international travel/people there has been no signs of it anywhere and nobody is worried about taking precautions yet.

1 minute ago, AntEater said:

How bad is it where you are? Have you started taking precautions? Is the news exaggerating what is going on in Europe?

I'm in NY and considering what a hub it is for international travel/people there has been no signs of it anywhere and nobody is worried about taking precautions yet.

What precautions can you take.  Those masks covering the nose and mouth won't protect anyone.   By the time they come up with a vaccine the damage will already be done.

5 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

What precautions can you take.  Those masks covering the nose and mouth won't protect anyone.   By the time they come up with a vaccine the damage will already be done.

Im not too sure because we haven't been informed much about it here, but I presume the masks must be somewhat helpful since healthcare professionals look to be relying on them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AntEater said:

We have a few cases here in UK, and quite a few people in quarantine who've come back from Italy, Tenerife and, obviously, China. What I'd like to know is the age of the victims who've died from it, and whether they had any other underlining conditions...There may be more of it around, and it looks like it's easier to contract and spread than Influenza A, but I'm not sure if it's any more pathogenic than Flu...Of course, as of now, there doesn't appear to be a vaccine...Apparently the death rate in China runs at 2-4%, but only 0.7% elsewhere...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AntEater said:

Im not too sure because we haven't been informed much about it here, but I presume the masks must be somewhat helpful since healthcare professionals look to be relying on them.

Just have too wait and see what happens. To what has been out in the Media it's spreading to other Nations. Europe, Italy, Spain etc....  it's slowly creeping up all over.

9 minutes ago, nagachilli2 said:

We have a few cases here in UK, and quite a few people in quarantine who've come back from Italy, Tenerife and, obviously, China. What I'd like to know is the age of the victims who've died from it, and whether they had any other underlining conditions...There may be more of it around, and it looks like it's easier to contract and spread than Influenza A, but I'm not sure if it's any more pathogenic than Flu...Of course, as of now, there doesn't appear to be a vaccine...Apparently the death rate in China runs at 2-4%, but only 0.7% elsewhere...

The ones that have a good immune system will fight it off just like they do a common cold.  The ones with weakened immune systems may have a tougher fight. Where it will stop remains to be seen.  They haven't even got a vaccine in place yet.

When they had the SARS outbreak they made a big thing about it then it only amounted to no more than a hill of beans. The same thing happened with that EBOLA.

• Like 3