Discussion:2019 Novel Corona Virus (Covid19) and It's Political Ramifications #3

Europe thinks it is past the peak of the first wave of the coronavirus

April 17, 2020 at 3:12 p.m. CDT

LONDON — All across Europe, the numbers are coming down.

In Italy, Spain, France, Germany and Britain, public health officials — their faces often drained by exhaustion — are now expressing cautious optimism that the first wave of Europe’s devastating pandemic is ending.

From Ireland to Greece, officials are seeing hopeful signs that coronavirus infections are peaking and have begun to plateau or recede, pointing to intensive care beds that are slowly opening up and a daily reduction in the number of new hospitalizations.

In Paris, Milan and Madrid, hospitals and staff that were stressed to their limits just a few weeks ago, as thousands of coughing, fevered, breathless patients surged through their doors, are now reporting empty beds in their ICUs. There are ventilators to go around.

The Severo Ochoa Hospital in Madrid made international news with images last month of sick patients sleeping on the floor, waiting to be seen by a doctor. Now there are a few spare beds in Spain.

Europe’s esteemed, pricey, generous health-care systems didn’t have to ration care. Europe held. But it’s not yet time to completely let up, officials caution. The continent is still seeing shocking numbers of fatalities. Members of the European Union and Britain account for almost two-thirds of the 150,000 deaths recorded worldwide. But infectious disease experts say Europe’s effort to slow the pandemic — instituting quarantines across the continent more widespread and draconian than those seen during the plague in the Middle Ages — has worked.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hornygirl said:

I'm not in Sweden, I'm in the UK, where we are now past the peak of the virus because we have locked down. 

24 minutes ago, jabbath1987 said:

I guess most European countries are now past the peak...

I doubt that Sweden is past its peak though. If so we've been very lucky and it is probably more to do with the weather or environmental factors (not proven) that is affecting the virus rather than the government's lack of action.

People are only being tested if they have symptoms that are serious enough to go to hospital so the figures can't be trusted regarding future projection and I read in a newspaper that Anders Tegnell (the government health minister, who has more power than the prime minister in a pandemic), believes that we are looking at early to mid May to hit the worst time.

Swedish people are quite socially distant to begin with, (I say that as a Brit who lives here) and they tend to follow the gov advice in most things, including to stay apart, so maybe it is working but it's too early to say. Like most countries we need mass testing to really say if we can see the light at the end of the tunnel but that's not happeneing here.

17 minutes ago, Thestarider said:

Europe thinks it is past the peak of the first wave of the coronavirus

April 17, 2020 at 3:12 p.m. CDT

LONDON — All across Europe, the numbers are coming down...

Let's hope this is true, I guess it will be a long two weeks before we can really tell.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thestarider said:

More facts about why WE NEED TO STAND TOGETHER. Remember EYES WIDE OPEN.

Amid coronavirus, US is trying to 'squeeze' what it can from the Army's largest European exercise in 25 years

Early on Friday, a C-17 Globemaster transport plane landed in Bulgaria with medical equipment from China, made possible by the NATO-supported Strategic Airlift Capability, under which NATO and partner countries own and operate three C-17s, sharing flying hours and costs.

Through that and other programs, "we're able to lift and shift critical assets and get them to the vital point of need," Wolters said, adding that the US has provided medical equipment and supplies to locations across Europe and this week, in a first for the Pentagon, moved three Americans from Kabul to Germany for coronavirus treatment. 

Wolters also addressed disinformation regarding the coronavirus response in Europe, saying Russians have "attempted to insert themselves" into reporting on the delivery of medical goods and to "downplay the importance of one nation in NATO providing [personal protective equipment] to another."

Wolters said his command's reaction to that disinformation effort was two-pronged, consisting of recognizing and correcting falsehoods and of promoting allies' own activities and investments.

So that's where Canada's 5 Million Masks went that we never got but paid for.     laugh laughing GIF

• Like 2

Oh i see so all my comments have been deleted for daring to criticize the mods for not enforcing the corruption of this thread and their lack of dealing with it. WOW censorship in action here then.

Wonder how long this comment will stay up??????

• Like 1

It will probably take two or three more years to determine if the rest of the world or Sweden was correct in their approach to fighting the coronavirus. That success or failure will need to be measured by both the number of deaths over that period of years from covid-19 and by the damage done to nations' economies because of the shutdowns. Sweden may in the end suffer short term pain for long term gain. By keeping their economy/society open the Swedish population may acquire a herd immunity to the virus and suffer limited numbers of deaths in future years. The rest of the world may experience many more deaths from several more outbreaks of the virus; plus, suffer the pain of severely damaged economies.

the consequences of the containment in a small city of 16 000 people in France not very far of Paris

Capture-2020-04-18-17-06-15-727.jpg

the nature takes back its rights, i don't know if they have their papers with them if they are controlled by the cops 🤣

5 minutes ago, firewall said:

the consequences of the containment in a small city of 16 000 people in France not very far of Paris

the nature takes back its rights, i don't know if they have their papers with them if they are controlled by the cops 🤣

Not illegal immigrants surely :biggrin:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, firewall said:

Yummy 😋 

I imagine them with some sauce and noodles on a plate right now 😁