NHL (2020 - 2021) Play-Offs

StnCld316

Last evening Montreal Canadiens defeated Vegas Golden Knights by a score of 4 - 1 to take a 3 - 2 series lead in the best of 7 semi-final series. Game 6 is played in Montreal Thursday evening with Vegas Golden Knights being on the brink of elimination.  If Montreal can pull off a win in Game 6 this will be their first time being to a Stanley Cup Final since their last time in this position which was in 1993.  

Last evening New York Islanders defeated Tampa Bay Lightning in sudden death overtime by a score of 3 - 2 to even the best of 7 series at 3 games a piece.  Game 7 will be in Tampa Bay Friday evening with the winner advancing to the Stanley Cup Final. One of them will play the winner of the Montreal Canadiens and Vegas Golden Knights series.  Montreal currently has a 3 - 2 series lead putting Vegas Golden Knights on the brink of being eliminated this evening. If Vegas Golden Knights can pull off a win then a 7th and deciding game will be played Saturday and if not their season will end tonight sending Montreal Canadiens to the Stanley Cup Final.

Montreal Canadiens have have just defeated the Vegas Golden Knights by a score of 3 - 2 in sudden death overtime to win the best of 7 series at 4 - 2.  Montreal Canadiens will now face the winner of New York Islanders and Tampa Bay Lightning which is in its 7th and deciding game tomorrow evening for the coveted Stanley Cup.

Tampa Bay Lightning defeated New York Islanders by a score of 1 - 0 to finish the best of 7 series 4 - 3.  

Montreal Canadiens will now play Tampa Bay Lightning beginning Monday evening June 28th in Tampa Bay for the start of the 2020/2021 Stanley Cup Final best of 7 series.

Tampa Bay Lightning are the defending Stanley Cup Champions as they won it last year in 2020 so they'll be looking for a repeat. Montreal Canadiens last time in a Stanly Cup Final was in 1993 when they won the Stanley Cup. 

Montreal is 12 - 5  and Tampa Bay is  12 - 6.  Montreal's advantage is they have a young fast skating team and they create multiple opportunities around the net.  Tampa is a team with a few older aging players that are not as fast. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up with Montreal's speed.  If Montreal's Goaltender Carey Price stays as hot and agile as he has all the series leading up to the Stanley Cup Final I don't see anyone beating him.  Montreal in 6.

I appreciate this thread. As a kid growing up in Detroit during the Gordie Howe years, I haven't really thought about hockey since I moved south in the 80's, except for a brief fling with the Thrashers. It's rekindled my interest to go look up the games. Montreal in the finals, who would have thought?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, albundy1089 said:

I appreciate this thread. As a kid growing up in Detroit during the Gordie Howe years, I haven't really thought about hockey since I moved south in the 80's, except for a brief fling with the Thrashers. It's rekindled my interest to go look up the games. Montreal in the finals, who would have thought?

Toronto Maple Leaf's should have taken Montreal out in the 1st round.  They had a 3 - 1 series lead and they just could not get the job done. Montreal came back and won 3 straight knocking the Leaf's out of contention.  Montreal has been on fire ever since then.  If they keep their momentum going they are going to be tough to beat. 

In Game #1 Tampa Bay Lightning defeated Montreal Canadiens by a score of 5 - 1 giving Tampa Bay the first leg in the best of 7 series final of 1 - 0.

Game #2 will take place in Tampa Bay Wednesday evening with Tampa looking to take a commanding 2 game lead and Montreal is looking to even the series at 1 game a piece heading back to Montreal for Games 3 & 4.  Montreal needs to get to the net a bit more and create scoring opportunities.  They won't win a game against Tampa Bay with less than 20 shots over three periods like they had tonight also they turned over the puck way too many times creating many opportunities for their opponents.

In Game #2 Tampa Bay Lightning defeated Montreal Canadiens by a score of 3 - 1.  Tampa Bay now takes a 2 - 0 lead in the best of 7 series.  Game #3 will be played Friday evening in Montreal.  

Tonight Montreal had 42 shots on net and could only get 1 Goal for their efforts and Tampa Bay had 23 shots with 3 of them turning into goals scored.

• Like 1

In Game #3 Tampa Bay Lightning defeated Montreal Canadiens by a score of 6 - 3.  Tampa Bay now takes a commanding 3 - 0 lead in the best of 7 series putting Montreal Canadiens to the test to keep this series alive for game #5. Tampa Bay Lightning will be going for a 4 game sweep of the series to hoist the Stanly Cup for 2 years in a row.

Game #4 will be played in Montreal on Monday evening.

• Like 1

It's going to be interesting to see what happens after the play-offs are said and done. It does not look very good for Montreal Canadiens at the moment. I remember in 2011 when Vancouver Canucks made it to a Stanley Cup Final and lost.  The Fans went berzerk and tore the City of Vancouver apart with burning buildings to the foundation and torching police cars burning parked vehicles, smashing windows and looting.  They better put the Canadian National Guard on High Alert because Montrealer's are more vicious than Vancouverites when they lose. They'll be jumping all over the place after being cooped up inside for almost 18 Months from COVID19 lockdowns.   :biggrin: