what computer do you have

darkman

tengo uno sencillo con XP todabia , he tenido muchos problemas con congelacion de imagenes y el flujo de video , pero me he comprado otro , este http://www.pccomponentes.com/pccom_republicg_extremex2_i7_5820k_16gb_ssd240gb_2tb_gtx980.html

mañana lo recibo en casa , estoy como un niño la noche de navidad , lo uso para hacer edicion de video tambien , sistema operativo windows 7 pro , el 8 no me terminaba de convencer , espero que sea una buena compra , no es barato , me ha costado mucho conseguirlo

You have a very, very good computer...well worth the money you paid for it.

I built my system in early 2012 and, except for your more current parts, it is very similar.

Intel Core i7-3930k

16GB G.Skill RAM

Corsair 1200W PSU

GTX 680 x2

240GB SSD

1TB Hard Drive x2

Blu-Ray player/DVD writer

Asus Rampage IV Gene MB

CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler

Coolermaster Haf X case

My computer cost me $3500 back then for the parts.

Oh...I have Win8.1.  I like it, but you have no reason to upgrade yet.  Win7 will keep you happy until Win10 is released later this year.  At that time, I recommend you take advantage of the free upgrade.  Win 10 will be a distinct improvement over Win7.

Win7 will keep you happy until Win10 is released later this year.  At that time, I recommend you take advantage of the free upgrade.  Win 10 will be a distinct improvement over Win7.

Didn't even know Win 10 was coming out. Thanks for that info.

You have a very, very good computer...well worth the money you paid for it.

I built my system in early 2012 and, except for your more current parts, it is very similar.

Intel Core i7-3930k

16GB G.Skill RAM

Corsair 1200W PSU

GTX 680 x2

240GB SSD

1TB Hard Drive x2

Blu-Ray player/DVD writer

Asus Rampage IV Gene MB

CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler

Coolermaster Haf X case

My computer cost me $3500 back then for the parts.

Oh...I have Win8.1.  I like it, but you have no reason to upgrade yet.  Win7 will keep you happy until Win10 is released later this year.  At that time, I recommend you take advantage of the free upgrade.  Win 10 will be a distinct improvement over Win7.

$3500.  I built my own for just under $1700.

AMD Opteron 6300 12 Core Processor

16GB Kingston Memory

Thermaltake Full Tower Case

Thermaltake 2.0 Water Cooler

250GB Seagate HD,1TB Seagate HD,2TB Western Digital HD

NVidia GeForce GT830 GDDR5  3TB Video Card

Ultra 1400W PSU

ASUS M5A97 MB and Sony LiteScribe Blueray/DVD burner.

But I can see why yours cost more because of the Intel chip as those chips are more expensive than AMD products.  Mine I bought wholesale directly from the manufacturers than go through some retailer. Took about 3 weeks before I got all the parts delivered through UPS.

Most definitely that Windows 10 upgrade will surely make a difference. I used the the one Microsoft let users test run  and I liked it. One of their better O/S's.

The upgrade is going to be free for Windows 7 and 8 & 8.1 users. I magine the upgrade will be on a time limit basis before they go retail with it and make people pay for it. Don't know when the upgrade will be available but from what I heard likely May or June.

16GB Kingston Memory

Ultra 1400W PSU

But I can see why yours cost more because of the Intel chip as those chips are more expensive than AMD products.  Mine I bought wholesale directly from the manufacturers than go through some retailer. Took about 3 weeks before I got all the parts delivered through UPS.

Most definitely that Windows 10 upgrade will surely make a difference. I used the the one Microsoft let users test run  and I liked it. One of their better O/S's.

The upgrade is going to be free for Windows 7 and 8 & 8.1 users. I magine the upgrade will be on a time limit basis before they go retail with it and make people pay for it. Don't know when the upgrade will be available but from what I heard likely May or June.

Kind of an interesting build you have there, but I have a couple questions.

1.  I can't find any information about your Nvidia GeForce GT830.  In fact, Nvidia doesn't even have any 800 series graphics cards.  Is that a typo, maybe?

2.  Why did you go with a server CPU?  Is it because of the kind of work you do with your computer?

Yeah...my Intel CPU was costly, but the two GTX680 graphics cards is what killed the price.  Those puppies were just over $500 each.

I'm also running the Win10 Technical Preview on an old laptop.  For all the heat MS got from Win8, I really do think they'll change some minds when Win10 is released.

16GB Kingston Memory

Ultra 1400W PSU

Kind of an interesting build you have there, but I have a couple questions.

1.  I can't find any information about your Nvidia GeForce GT830.  In fact, Nvidia doesn't even have any 800 series graphics cards.  Is that a typo, maybe?

2.  Why did you go with a server CPU?  Is it because of the kind of work you do with your computer?

Yeah...my Intel CPU was costly, but the two GTX680 graphics cards is what killed the price.  Those puppies were just over $500 each.

I'm also running the Win10 Technical Preview on an old laptop.  For all the heat MS got from Win8, I really do think they'll change some minds when Win10 is released.

Sorry bout that. Was typing in a dark room. Should be GT630. I just wanted a different processor with a lot of power as I do more with my computer than a regular home user. I probably could have went with something smaller but I wanted to have something different than what everyone else has.

I kind of wish I could afford those cards, but I'm still satisfied with my two 680's.  I don't think I'll really have to upgrade until Crysis 6 comes out.  LOL!!

Although Microsoft is offering a free upgrade to Win10, I wonder what is their motivation? They don't really do anything for free. It must be to get you into a place where they can start charging you annually for using your operating system. Many operating systems are so good now, that most people don't feel a need to keep upgrading every two or three years and that means that Microsoft isn't making as big a buttload of money as they could. Office got so good that it did about everything that most people needed and so many users stopped upgrading. That is why Microsoft came out with Office365 (software as a service). They get to keep charging you every year and Bill makes another $10 Billion. They are going to start doing that with your operating system too. If you study the Win10 upgrade offer, they say that you will be able to keep using it for as long as that device is supported. What specifically does that mean? It means they can say that your computer is obsolete after a few years and cut off your updates.... unless you pay for an upgrade to Windows365. Then they will charge you every year to keep using it.

Here is the phrasing from their site: "This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device –at no additional charge."

That wording of "the supported lifetime of the device", means that they are leaving open the possibility to declare your hardware obsolete and force you to pay for an upgrade to whatever OS is new, and that will very likely be an 'operating system as a service' option which means paying them year after year.

I just found some more info on their site:

"Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10

Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet."

Their old business model is not making the obscene profit margin that it once did, so they are changing that model.

Although Microsoft is offering a free upgrade to Win10, I wonder what is their motivation? They don't really do anything for free. It must be to get you into a place where they can start charging you annually for using your operating system. Many operating systems are so good now, that most people don't feel a need to keep upgrading every two or three years and that means that Microsoft isn't making as big a buttload of money as they could. Office got so good that it did about everything that most people needed and so many users stopped upgrading. That is why Microsoft came out with Office365 (software as a service). They get to keep charging you every year and Bill makes another $10 Billion. They are going to start doing that with your operating system too. If you study the Win10 upgrade offer, they say that you will be able to keep using it for as long as that device is supported. What specifically does that mean? It means they can say that your computer is obsolete after a few years and cut off your updates.... unless you pay for an upgrade to Windows365. Then they will charge you every year to keep using it.

Here is the phrasing from their site: "This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device –at no additional charge."

That wording of "the supported lifetime of the device", means that they are leaving open the possibility to declare your hardware obsolete and force you to pay for an upgrade to whatever OS is new, and that will very likely be an 'operating system as a service' option which means paying them year after year.

I just found some more info on their site:

"Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10

Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet."

Their old business model is not making the obscene profit margin that it once did, so they are changing that model.

Don't buy into the conspiracy theories that are dreamed up by the Apple users and the Winh8ers.  They will only give you anxiety and heartburn.

MS will NEVER charge you a subscription fee to use their OS.  That will be financial suicide for them...and they know it.  They would be more likely to give away their OS forever than to ever charge a subscription fee.  Right now, with Win10, they'll give it away for a year and make you buy it after that.  The only reason they are doing that is to get people to give up Win7 and Win8/8.1.  After all, those two OS's won't be supported and updated by them for long.

They MIGHT, however, charge you a fee to use one of their extra services such as WMP, Skype, Office, etc.  But seriously, if you don't want to pay their subscription for those programs, then just don't use them.  After all, there are plenty of alternatives.

Now...as to their "as long as your device is supported" phrase, that simply means what it says.  For example, there are lots of old computer systems that just won't run Win7 or Win8...and sure won't run Win10.  They just aren't supported anymore.  Try putting one of these OS's on an old 386 machine...and watch it choke itself to death.  Well, it'll be the same going forward.  Advances in computer hardware will make Win7 unusable and, with the constant updates coming over the years to Win10, the same will happen in the future for that OS.  MS is just saying that, if your computer is old and can't hang, they won't make sure Win10 will work on it.

That'll be your hint to retire that moldy oldy and get modernized.

Let not your heart be troubled...Win10 is going to be the best thing MS has ever come up with.

In regard to that previous post of mine about Win10, I don't want anyone to get the idea their computer isn't going to be able to run Win10 now or in the future...unless they are trying to use some really old hardware.

The fact is, MS has done a great job making sure Win10 can be used on some pretty old gear.  Here is an article in which TechRadar looks at this issue.  They installed Win10 Technical Preview on a computer with an eleven year old CPU, onboard graphics and less than 1GB RAM...and it worked.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/you-don-t-need-a-crazy-powerful-pc-to-run-windows-10-here-s-the-proof-1288287

That's pretty amazing.

On a side note, I have an HP Stream 7 tablet that's running Win8.1.  It has 1GB of RAM and it works like a dream.  It's a full-fledged Windows computer in the palm of my hand.  It just won't play Crysis.  :(