Operating System: Post Q&As, discussion about OS's and updates here.

The sad thing for Win7 and Win8 lovers is that they're both going to be DEAD operating systems... It's inevitable. Win 10 will be necessary to run newer applications, and no new applications will be written to utilize the older operating systems. That's just how the business works.

But hey, my old Atari 800 still boots!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

The sad thing for Win7 and Win8 lovers is that they're both going to be DEAD operating systems... It's inevitable. Win 10 will be necessary to run newer applications, and no new applications will be written to utilize the older operating systems. That's just how the business works.

But hey, my old Atari 800 still boots!

As Operating Systems advance the older ones will become obsolete.   Knowing Microsoft they are likely working on Windows 11 for 2017.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2016 at 0:27 AM, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

Now you know why I like Linux so much. It's easy to clean with a new install, costs no money, and happens quickly.

I wish Win 10 didn't carry over all the problems from Win 7 &  8. I still can't get rid of Zonealarm or McAfee hangover support services. I'd pay the fee to have a clean install of Win 10. But then again, fuck it.

I had to use Linux to remove the Mcafee stuff. While in windows I had the "you ain't authorized to remove this" error, though I had administrative privileges. It's a !!protected environment!! So, I used linux to look at the Winders side, find the offending files (mcafee.whatever), and delete them. Winders didn't even know what hit 'em.

Just updated my Linux machines and was on the main computer (desktop monster machine), just checking to make sure it picked up the new sound card properly, and I was looking at all the audio output ports, and noticed I was also looking at the Creative USB box hanging off the laptop that I use to interface to the entertainment center. So I played a file using Audacity (a very powerful audio player) and sent it out to the stereo via the laptop. I've never streamed music through the LAN before. Knew it was possible but never bothered to look at how. Looks like it is merely point-and-shoot. 

I bought a laptop that has Windows 10 installed on it just for troubleshooting my internet problems.  Basically to rule out the Wifi card in my Mac.   I literally used it one time and one time only and that was about 3 weeks ago.   During the setup process after the first power up, one of the steps was to set a login password.   Well....with all the meds I take and the fact that that was 3 weeks ago, I have forgotten the password,  I know the password but I don't remember the exact keystrokes (capital letter here....lower case here....special symbol there, etc. etc.) as far as the password went lol.    What I was  wondering was, if anyone one on CC knows how to reset the login password in this situation?   Any help would be greatly appreciated.....thanks!!

17 minutes ago, HarleyFatboy said:

I bought a laptop that has Windows 10 installed on it just for troubleshooting my internet problems.  Basically to rule out the Wifi card in my Mac.   I literally used it one time and one time only and that was about 3 weeks ago.   During the setup process after the first power up, one of the steps was to set a login password.   Well....with all the meds I take and the fact that that was 3 weeks ago, I have forgotten the password,  I know the password but I don't remember the exact keystrokes (capital letter here....lower case here....special symbol there, etc. etc.) as far as the password went lol.    What I was  wondering was, if anyone one on CC knows how to reset the login password in this situation?   Any help would be greatly appreciated.....thanks!!

I looked a couple of things up. Is your Windows 10 done with a Microsoft Account or a Local Account.  A Microsoft Account is usually done with an e-Mail Address to set the Account up.

A Local Account is where you just put in any name and password you wish.

1 hour ago, StnCld316 said:

I looked a couple of things up. Is your Windows 10 done with a Microsoft Account or a Local Account.  A Microsoft Account is usually done with an e-Mail Address to set the Account up.

A Local Account is where you just put in any name and password you wish.

It was done local SC.   I'm screwed and I know it lol.....oh well, it will come to me one day or I will send it back to Dell and have them reset it for me.

1 minute ago, HarleyFatboy said:

It was done local SC.   I'm screwed and I know it lol.....oh well, it will come to me one day or I will send it back to Dell and have them reset it for me.

You ordered it through Dell.  So it's a Brand New Laptop and not 2nd Hand.

No, I bought it at a place local to me brand new.   I only bought it to rule out my MacBook Pro's Wifi card.   My son said that I only had two weeks to take it back so I've decided to keep it and take it to my main place in the country for reviewing SD cards from game cameras.

1 hour ago, HarleyFatboy said:

No, I bought it at a place local to me brand new.   I only bought it to rule out my MacBook Pro's Wifi card.   My son said that I only had two weeks to take it back so I've decided to keep it and take it to my main place in the country for reviewing SD cards from game cameras.

I'll look it up and see if there is a way to add another Local Account when the other doesn't log in due to forgotten password. If another Local Account can be made then just have to get in with the Secondary Local Account change it to be Administrator then you can change the password to the one forgotten. Once it's changed you change the account you are going to use back to Administrator and then delete the secondary account.

Give me a few minutes  I'll have a look.

EDIT: The only way to make a Secondary User Account is through a Command Prompt setting. Your Son should be able to help you with that and get it going for you.

Just Google,  Forgot My Windows 10 Local Account Password and there are lots of Tutorials and YouTube Videos to show how the process is done.

It's a little different than the other Operating Systems.  After a Secondary Local Account is made, the rest is as easy as a Walk in the Park.

1 hour ago, StnCld316 said:

I'll look it up and see if there is a way to add another Local Account when the other doesn't log in due to forgotten password. If another Local Account can be made then just have to get in with the Secondary Local Account change it to be Administrator then you can change the password to the one forgotten. Once it's changed you change the account you are going to use back to Administrator and then delete the secondary account.

Give me a few minutes  I'll have a look.

EDIT: The only way to make a Secondary User Account is through a Command Prompt setting. Your Son should be able to help you with that and get it going for you.

Just Google,  Forgot My Windows 10 Local Account Password and there are lots of Tutorials and YouTube Videos to show how the process is done.

It's a little different than the other Operating Systems.  After a Secondary Local Account is made, the rest is as easy as a Walk in the Park.

LOL I wish it was that easy!   Thanks for looking SC...much appreciated man!!

• 1 month later...

Archived