Operating System: Post Q&As, discussion about OS's and updates here.

Anyone else loving Windows 10? It's a perfect balance between Windows 7 and 8.

I don't really like windows 10 I don't even like windows 8 i did try it once it's the new stuff they put on it that makes it tricky to use I like the basic stuff like windows 7 ,XP and Vista

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really like windows 10 I don't even like windows 8 i did try it once it's the new stuff they put on it that makes it tricky to use I like the basic stuff like windows 7 ,XP and Vista

Eventually as time goes along people won't have to much of a choice. As technology advances they will force the users to go with the newer Operating Systems.

The system I have won't even install Windows XP. All I get is the Blue Screen of Death.

All makers of Motherboards are in to get their share of the Market and they will adapt their boards to only go with the advanced technology in use today. Eventually Windows 7 will become a thing of the past in the not so distant future.

Being old and computer illiterate all i can bring to the discussion is that I uploaded Windows 10 from Windows 7 and i have to say things went well.

I seem to be able to use the same things i always used and nothing has crashed or disappeared thankfully.

I only have an inexpensive Asus laptop but i can use the likes of Youtube and Google Chrome to surf the net and  Office for Mail etc.

My biggest concern when installing 10 was whether I could still view Reallife!!! I know i'm a sad old fart but i don't need to use my Laptop for work these days so entertainment is my main priority.

I have a huge collection of music (backed up on three separate hard drives!!) and maintaining and expanding that is my passion.

Any tips on how to get the best out of Windows 10 would be welcome.

Being old and computer illiterate all i can bring to the discussion is that I uploaded Windows 10 from Windows 7 and i have to say things went well.

I seem to be able to use the same things i always used and nothing has crashed or disappeared thankfully.

I only have an inexpensive Asus laptop but i can use the likes of Youtube and Google Chrome to surf the net and  Office for Mail etc.

My biggest concern when installing 10 was whether I could still view Reallife!!! I know i'm a sad old fart but i don't need to use my Laptop for work these days so entertainment is my main priority.

I have a huge collection of music (backed up on three separate hard drives!!) and maintaining and expanding that is my passion.

Any tips on how to get the best out of Windows 10 would be welcome.

If you Google How to get the best out of Windows 10 there are a lot of websites that offer great advice on Tips and Tweaks.  The best choices are always near the top of the searches as those are the most viewed.  They offer great advice and tutorials on how to make certain changes such as switching off services that you don't need. It's really hard to go into personal detail as everyone's computer needs are different. Basically what you were using before the upgrade should still work the same. If it doesn't then the software vendor needs to make an upgrade to the app to be compatible. If you find one that's not compatible just right click the app and go to Properties. From there you can change the compatibility mode to either Windows 7 or Windows 8.

We've got a few viewpoints here, and nobody is yelling at each other like they did with the Apple vs IBM or Commodore vs Atari days. Very cool.

As for Windows: I know I will switch over to Win10; it's inevitable. I need to be compatible with the business world, and cannot afford a proper Apple installation. Plus, I like to tinker with stuff, and there's about 10 billion programs for Windows available with which to play.

As for Linux: It's secure as hell compared to Windows. The user interfaces on many of the free programs are not as good as Windows or Apple; but they do everything: I even run LibreOffice on my Win systems so that all my computers are compatible and can format text the same way. Linux also doesn't spin the hell out of the drive, works very concisely, quickly and efficiently, and my battery time on my ASUS laptop more than doubled when I switched to Linux. Plus, you can rebuild the system from a mirror for free, and not have to go through living hell to get it re-certified.

As for Apple: Lower your damn prices. Thank you. And don't force me to go into the resource editor to do things. I like to tinker, my way. I want an I-pad, even though I'm a full-keyboard kinda guy. They are fricking useful.

The simply fact is that we benefit not just from each of these operating systems, since they all have their weaknesses and strengths, but from the fact that they are competing.

Needless to say, if you erased Unix and Linux based servers from the world tomorrow, you'd find your Apple or Windows systems to be shut off from nearly all of the Internet.

My son, who is a sytem admin kinda guy, prefers the linux servers to IBM and Dell. Though you do have to (should) learn to perform command line functions, the advantage is...you can do everything from the command line.

One of the coolest things about Linux is that you can customize the OS's Kernel for your particular platform -this includes the choosing the specific CPU, GPU, and any fancy peripherals- then compile it on the platform and  reboot into an OS that is compiled specifically for your machine. Then install any apps you want to use and you have a very lean OS and all the extra space that had info not related to your machine. The downside of this is if you upgrade a peripheral like the graphics card, you will want to recompile. But hey! If you're a Geek that is all part of the fun.

We are getting reports from members saying that they cannot log on to CamCaps anymore once they switch to Win10 and Edge. They essentially think they've been banned when they have not.

If this happens to you, switch to Firefox or Chrome, and let us know of your experiences.

We are not the only site that is getting reports of errant behavior with Edge. For example: http://forum.bioware.com/topic/563032-problem-with-edge-browser/

We are getting reports from members saying that they cannot log on to CamCaps anymore once they switch to Win10 and Edge. They essentially think they've been banned when they have not.

If this happens to you, switch to Firefox or Chrome, and let us know of your experiences.

We are not the only site that is getting reports of errant behavior with Edge. For example: http://forum.bioware.com/topic/563032-problem-with-edge-browser/

W10 and Chrome here, no problems. haven't tested edge though

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes.

I have an android tablet, and have been able to watch RLC on it, I managed to get Adobe Flash installed.

I am thinking of upgrading to an ipad. I don't believe that I can get Adobe Flash for the ios system (?). I may be wrong. (Usually am).  Can anyone confirm if a flash player is available for ios systems, or am I stuck with an ageing android system.?  Please, nothing too technical, as I too am an old fart, not technically minded.

Thanks

when i upgraded to windows 10 first thing i did when it was installed was remove edge, cortana, internet explorer 11 and the music/tv player and disable the cloud works fine

i use a chrome based browser all works fine

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TxFeller
Computers really aren't that expensive any more, you could get a decent system for ~$500, it's time to upgrade.

I built a water-cooled system myself from scratch 1 year ago. It's leading edge, but not bleeding edge. Cost me $1100 to build it, but I won't need to build another for about 5 years, so I am cool with the expense.

Still waiting for my notification that my Win10 download is ready. Grrrrrrr

I built a water-cooled system myself from scratch 1 year ago. It's leading edge, but not bleeding edge. Cost me $1100 to build it, but I won't need to build another for about 5 years, so I am cool with the expense.

Still waiting for my notification that my Win10 download is ready. Grrrrrrr

It depends on the Operating System you are running. Not all versions of Windows qualifies for the upgrade.

Windows Vista, Windows XP and Windows 8 do not qualify for the upgrade. If you have Windows 8 then you must upgrade to Windows 8.1 before the upgrade will be available.  Also if you use Windows 7 without Service Pack 1 then you have to download the Service Pack in order for that version to qualify.

Archived