Operating System: Post Q&As, discussion about OS's and updates here.

We are getting reports from members saying that they cannot log on to CamCaps anymore once they switch to Win10 and Edge. They essentially think they've been banned when they have not.

If this happens to you, switch to Firefox or Chrome, and let us know of your experiences.

We are not the only site that is getting reports of errant behavior with Edge. For example: http://forum.bioware.com/topic/563032-problem-with-edge-browser/

I just downloaded the newest build for Windows 10. Installed it and CamCaps signs in fine now with Edge. They still haven't fixed the pop up blocker on it yet. Maybe that will come when the next build is released. This latest build is 450MB bigger than the last build.  To upgrade the build it will download through windows update or unless you want to do a clean install then just download the iso or image file from Microsoft.

I never upgraded mine  I always do a clean install each time.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foamy is about ready to try out the Win 10 upgrade, and I will deliver myself unto the mercy of the Microsoft beast. Cross my claws. Or paws. Whatever we squirrels call them...

You'll hear from me on my Linux machine if MS 10 tears little squirrel asunder.  :yikes:

Guest TxFeller

It depends on the Operating System you are running. Not all versions of Windows qualifies for the upgrade.

Windows Vista, Windows XP and Windows 8 do not qualify for the upgrade. If you have Windows 8 then you must upgrade to Windows 8.1 before the upgrade will be available.  Also if you use Windows 7 without Service Pack 1 then you have to download the Service Pack in order for that version to qualify.

Yeah, I have 8.1 .

Yeah, I have 8.1 .

Go into Windows Update and check for the update  KB3035583. This is the one that makes your computer qualify for the upgrade. If you don't see it just go to the Microsoft Download Centre and download it then install it. If that still doesn't work then let me know and I'll forward a set up that directly downloads the Windows 10 Upgrade in an iso image which can be burned to a disk or can also be used by USB Flash Drive.

Go into Windows Update and check for the update  KB3035583. This is the one that makes your computer qualify for the upgrade. If you don't see it just go to the Microsoft Download Centre and download it then install it. If that still doesn't work then let me know and I'll forward a set up that directly downloads the Windows 10 Upgrade in an iso image which can be burned to a disk or can also be used by USB Flash Drive.

Just a side note you have to have updates set to automatically download and install. I have always had mine set to never check for updates once I changed it viola there it was.

Guest TxFeller

The icon on your task bar comes from Windows update KB3035583.  Uninstall the update and the icon is gone.

:)

Um... wrong. I installed that update and the icon is still in the system tray.  :idk:

Anyone got more ideas about setting to protect privacy and security on Windows 10?

If you go into the settings which can be done by clicking your user account name in the start menu. You will see something similar like a grinding wheel.Click that and the settings will appear. If you like it fully secure just click yes to anything that is marked no.

Windows 10 has a built in Anti-Virus and Malware detector called Windows Defender which can be found in the Control Panel. If you wish to use Third Party Software for anti-virus and Malware then Windows Defender will have to be disabled which can be done through the settings.

Guest TxFeller

If the icon is in the system tray. Then click on the icon and reserve your copy. Then it should download through Windows Update.

Did that more than 4 months ago. Still no notification that my update is ready to install.

Here is a link for  the Media Creation Tool.        http://mab.to/QbhB7jF8K

It's in a .zip file so you'll have to extract it first.

A Menu will ask you what to do.  Select Create installation media for another PC.  Click next.

Then select you language, then choose Windows 10 Home or Pro from the menu, then select whether your machine is 32 Bit or 64 Bit. If your not sure which one you have  goto Control Panel and clck System.

The System type will show 64 Bit if you have it  or it will show 32Bit.

Once your version is selected click next.  Then select .iso  click next.  Then a menu appears asking you to select where you want the media downloaded to select your destination and click next and the download begins. Depending on the speed of you internet and computer the Download could take 10 minutes to a couple of hours as the file is 3.26GB in size. After it's downloaded do not extract the .iso.  You can burn it to a DVD Disk or you can extract it using a program called Rufus. Here is a link for that  http://www.filehorse.com/download-rufus/    Rufus is only 843kb in size  and there is no set up just click and below the  1 Pass  select .iso from the menu and the box at the right to select from a menu where your .iso file image is after that's selected click next  and it will install it to a flash drive.

Once that is done from your windows 8.1  insert your DVD disk or Flash Drive and click set up  do not click Custom or it will do a clean install and wipe your drive clean. After set up starts  just sit back and wait. It could take from 12 minutes up to an hour depending on the speed of your system.

It will keep all your file, settings and programs the same so whatever is installed will still be in the same spot.  It creates a Windows.old folder  next to the Windows Folder.  Windows.old is just the files of your Windows 8.1 incase you ever decide you don't want Windows 10  then it can be Rolled Back to Windows 8.1.

If you wish to Roll Back it has to be done within 30 Days or the Roll Back Feature will no longer work. Then a clean install is required to go back to what you had previously unless you have a backed up image of your 8.1 then you'll have no problems.

Sorry about the long post. I figured I'd better explain it if you don't know how.  Also this post might be helpful for others that aren't up to snuff on how to do it.  It's certainly better than paying a retailer $100 or more to do it when you can do it yourself for free.  Hope this helps.

Guest TxFeller

I was under the impression that if you do the Media Creation method, you'd have to have your product serial number XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX (<==or some variant of that configuration). That's what I read on the Microshaft page regarding performing that operation, anyhow. I'd have to dig through a buttload of boxes to find that info. :(

Archived