Anything Outdoors!!!

12 hours ago, ashleyxyz said:

Really Beautiful! I love mountains! Backpacking and camping in all weather, and skiing in cold weather. I'm just drawn to them since my Dad started taking us to the Adirondacks in NY when i was a kid. 

My, but aren't you a young filly. Back when I was a young stud I backpacked through California and Alaska. But now I'm an old fart and restrict myself to decent weather and a day pack, and I finally opted for a used smaller motor-home. This way, my worn out body doesn't have to sleep on rocks and I have a near-by pot to piss in. It's all fun. I've never hunted except with a camera, but I enjoy fishing because it gives me time outside and an excuse to drink beer. For what I've seen, I'm no where near Harley when it comes to fishing skills, and my doctor gets pissed at me if I hike alone. Youth has advantages. I love sailing, and boats in generally. Hopefully, the pictures for those items will keep on coming.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

My, but aren't you a young filly. Back when I was a young stud I backpacked through California and Alaska. But now I'm an old fart and restrict myself to decent weather and a day pack, and I finally opted for a used smaller motor-home. This way, my worn out body doesn't have to sleep on rocks and I have a near-by pot to piss in. It's all fun. I've never hunted except with a camera, but I enjoy fishing because it gives me time outside and an excuse to drink beer. For what I've seen, I'm no where near Harley when it comes to fishing skills, and my doctor gets pissed at me if I hike alone. Youth has advantages. I love sailing, and boats in generally. Hopefully, the pictures for those items will keep on coming.

Backpacking in Alaska would be a dream come true. That must have been so much fun! Sounds like you Me and Harley would have a good time in the outdoors. I love fishing, down the shore in the bays is what I love the best, instead fresh water. Ive been on a bunch of night trips, way out in the ocean, catching Bluefish or Bonita sometimes. I love target shooting, but I'm not a hunter. That's ok you like to have more comforts when you're fishing or camping, getting out is the main thing! What part of Alaska did you backpack? Have a great day!"

3 hours ago, ashleyxyz said:

Backpacking in Alaska would be a dream come true. That must have been so much fun! Sounds like you Me and Harley would have a good time in the outdoors. I love fishing, down the shore in the bays is what I love the best, instead fresh water. Ive been on a bunch of night trips, way out in the ocean, catching Bluefish or Bonita sometimes. I love target shooting, but I'm not a hunter. That's ok you like to have more comforts when you're fishing or camping, getting out is the main thing! What part of Alaska did you backpack? Have a great day!"

The younger Harley would have a good time with you and Foamy but not this abused Harley LOL.  If I was only younger, the fun we could have had.  All the hiking and good outdoor meals (you catch it, you cook it) and the camping with bad to the bone camp fires to sit and tell each other lies in front of lol.  Yes Ashley, that would have been a great adventure!!

• Like 1

Harley -- I usually do C&R with bass unless they're too worn out to recover, but I always make an exception with Salmon, trout, or deep sea stuff. Start the campfire!

Ashley -- My first trip to AK took me through the Inland Passage, up to Skagway, onto the White Pass & Yukon RR to Whitehorse, Yukon. Thence to Fairbacks, to Anchorage and then back to CA. The second trip was pretty much Skagway and Dyea. It was about a week after solstice, so I took pictures of wildflowers hand-held at mid-night with 25 ASA Kodachrome and a manual Pentax MX, and they came out perfect. Damn, that was a nice film to work with, and that camera was the best on I've ever had. If you get a chance, get to Alaska. It's a must see for anybody's bucket list.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

Harley -- I usually do C&R with bass unless they're too worn out to recover, but I always make an exception with Salmon, trout, or deep sea stuff. Start the campfire!

Ashley -- My first trip to AK took me through the Inland Passage, up to Skagway, onto the White Pass & Yukon RR to Whitehorse, Yukon. Thence to Fairbacks, to Anchorage and then back to CA. The second trip was pretty much Skagway and Dyea. It was about a week after solstice, so I took pictures of wildflowers hand-held at mid-night with 25 ASA Kodachrome and a manual Pentax MX, and they came out perfect. Damn, that was a nice film to work with, and that camera was the best on I've ever had. If you get a chance, get to Alaska. It's a must see for anybody's bucket list.

Oh wow, What a trip that must have been! We're not big on CT ruises, but to go through the Inland Pass and Glacier Bay would be pretty spectacular. Then north on the RR to Denali and then Fairbanks. Sounds like your a real shutterbug! Cool hobby. By the way, what's film?  8😁.

2 hours ago, HarleyFatboy said:

The younger Harley would have a good time with you and Foamy but not this abused Harley LOL.  If I was only younger, the fun we could have had.  All the hiking and good outdoor meals (you catch it, you cook it) and the camping with bad to the bone camp fires to sit and tell each other lies in front of lol.  Yes Ashley, that would have been a great adventure!!

Omg, one of my favorite parts of camping, sit around the campfire and shoot the shit and get drunk!

• Like 1

There's no need to pay for a big cruise liner trip to Alaska if you are in decent health and young and adventurous. The cheapest way to get to Alaska is to check in at Pier 48 at Seattle and take the Alaska Marine Hwy. Hopefully, their big ship Columbia is still doing that route. If you can handle it, choose deck-passage. There you can lay and meet a bunch of other back-packers. With permission from the captain, you can also post up your self-supporting tent. Bring at least booze to make new friends with, and be prepared to share stories (even if they are, as Harley suggests, exaggerations and outright lies.) They're also a nice bar on board. The scenery is so awesome, nobody wanted to go to sleep, so we all lived on Irish Coffees from the bar and walked around in a wondrous daze. It was as good a cruise as I'll ever really need to pay for, and really cheap compared to the Love Boat stuff. There are cabins available, of course, but as I remember there were about 50 people on deck passage and we all have a great time together.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

There's no need to pay for a big cruise liner trip to Alaska if you are in decent health and young and adventurous. The cheapest way to get to Alaska is to check in at Pier 48 at Seattle and take the Alaska Marine Hwy. Hopefully, their big ship Columbia is still doing that route. If you can handle it, choose deck-passage. There you can lay and meet a bunch of other back-packers. With permission from the captain, you can also post up your self-supporting tent. Bring at least booze to make new friends with, and be prepared to share stories (even if they are, as Harley suggests, exaggerations and outright lies.) They're also a nice bar on board. The scenery is so awesome, nobody wanted to go to sleep, so we all lived on Irish Coffees from the bar and walked around in a wondrous daze. It was as good a cruise as I'll ever really need to pay for, and really cheap compared to the Love Boat stuff. There are cabins available, of course, but as I remember there were about 50 people on deck passage and we all have a great time together.

damn sure sounds like a good time!!

• Like 1

I was invited to dinner with a family who live on Douglas Island, across from Juneau. The woman started the barbecue. We had a few drinks. Then she told her boys to go get dinner. They went down to the water with their fishing poles. Within 5 minutes, they came back with the nicest, biggest salmon I've ever seen. They were on the fire within another five minutes. They know how to prep and cook fish properly up there, for damn sure.

• Like 2

Hello and top of the morning to you all!!

A 5 minute job is all it took for dinner!  I know that had to be delicious.  Sounds like a good time with friends Foamy!  Good story Foamy and thanks for sharing.

A good buddy of mine is on a cook off team that does a couple of big rodeos a year and his chef's choice is always a smoked salmon plate.  He always tells me that he only does it because he knows how much I like it.  I can taste the succulent fish right now!!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello all,

Well, tonight I went to my first sweet and spicy burger cookout.  The evening was filled with good friends and good eats.  The menu was simple, it consisted of Jalapeño Habanero burgers served on homemade sour dough buns with all the trimmings and fresh cut fries and salad.   To say it was awesome is an understatement!  The sweet part came from the Habanero peppers with no seeds and the hot part came from Jalapeño peppers with one third the seeds.  Just hot enough to tickle anyone's fancy.   I hope I live for several years to come because after tonight, it will be an annual event.  The salad was a corn cob salad and it was terrific.  The fries were cut from fresh potatoes and made in some kind of air circulation dilly bobber.  The drinks were Shiner Bock, Tito's and Sprite, and Margaritas, with cokes and juice for the younger ones.  I had a really good time and it was good seeing everybody....all 23 of them.  We named the event....The "Half Way" for it being the half way point through the hunting season.  I hope you are all doing well and wish the best for you all !!!

Goodnight to everyone!

• 5 months later...

Welp, tomorrow is my birthday and my son and a buddy of mine are putting on a big crawfish/shrimp boil in my honor.  Jumbo crawfish and shrimp with all the trimmings......corn on the cob, new potatoes, mushrooms, artichoke salad, and plenty of ice cold German soda water.  I hope the rest of you have a great weekend but my Saturday is going to be better than most!