#1 What do you drive?

HarleyFatboy

We'll, life is short and we must enjoy those things we can earn and acquire.

I prefer the things I can repair or re-machine, but now these days signify me as being obsolescent. Car computers, OHV, and fuel injection are beyond my squirrelly reach.

But I have always loved good engineering and fine machines, and the new machines, thanks to technology, are amazingly more durable, safer, and efficient. Mind you, the same thing happened with bicycles and aircraft.

Now, tell me about the ribs and how you do it. Unlike automotive enthusiasm, that one is pure art.

26 minutes ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

We'll, life is short and we must enjoy those things we can earn and acquire.

I prefer the things I can repair or re-machine, but now these days signify me as being obsolescent. Car computers, OHV, and fuel injection are beyond my squirrelly reach.

But I have always loved good engineering and fine machines, and the new machines, thanks to technology, are amazingly more durable, safer, and efficient. Mind you, the same thing happened with bicycles and aircraft.

Now, tell me about the ribs and how you do it. Unlike automotive enthusiasm, that one is pure art.

The ribs are pretty easy really.  First off I use seasoned pecan wood for the smokey flavor and secondly I use a baste to baste the ribs with while they are cooking.

For the rub I use a mixer of seasonings but mainly just salt and pepper with some onion and garlic powder, not salt but powder.  First thing I do is use a paper towel to remove the membrane off the bottom side of the ribs.  Once the membrane has been removed I use a liberal amount of the rub and rub the ribs down real good.

The baste is cooked on the stove until well liquified.  I use one whole can of pure pineapple juice, 2 TBL spoons of brown sugar, 2 TBL spoons of Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper, 1/3 stick of real butter, a touch of soy sauce, 1 TBL of dry mustard, 1/2 cup of jalapeno juice, heat it up and stir well until it becomes real liquified and keep on low heat from that time on (a low low simmer if you will).  Any of these ingredients can be modified depending on your personal preference.

All this is done while the fire is getting ready.  I never use lighter fluid on any fire I BBQ with.  I use a propane torch that you hook up to a propane bottle to get the coals going about 1/2 way or a little over.  You can get the torch at Harbor Freight, Northern Tools, Lowes, etc. etc......about $20 bucks from HF and a little more from the other places.  I get the fire going and maintain the temp between 225 to 250 degrees.  I put some seasoned pecan on the fire about 10 minutes before I put the ribs on.

I cook the ribs over the fire for the first 30 minutes watching them carefully so as not to burn, but brown them. After that time the rest of their cooking is done with the bone side down and off to the edge of the fire.  Once they are browned I baste them with the concoction that I whipped up on the stove with a good basting mop (dabbing it on so as not to wipe off all the rub).  I baste them about every 20 to 30 minutes or 2 beers worth, for a couple of hours.  After that, I pull them off and tightly wrap them in foil and then put them back on the pit for about another hour.......between 30 minutes and 1 hour.  A six pack gets you just about all they way lol.

After they are cooked I open up the foil and let them cool for about 30 minutes before cutting them up.  Give it a try, it's a lot easier than it sounds :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HarleyFatboy said:

Lyree.....that last Jeep is freaking awesome!!  I wouldn't mind having one of those my damn self!!   However, I didn't see any bike :)

PS....how has the maintenance cost of your Jeep faired??

Very good. Left front wheel bearings is the only repairs I have had to do. Regular maintenance replace lubricants axles and transfer, Auto trans drain and filter.

3 hours ago, Lyree said:

Very good. Left front wheel bearings is the only repairs I have had to do. Regular maintenance replace lubricants axles and transfer, Auto trans drain and filter.

I see that your daddy raised you right and should be given a big thank you hug from you.  I like a girl that knows how to keep a vehicle maintained!!  Except for the wheel bearings, I would say you have been extremely lucky with your Jeep.  I have some friends that own Jeep's like yours and regular Jeep's as most people would think of when you hear the word Jeep, and they haven't been quite as lucky.  Just shows to go you that with regular maintenance, your vehicle will treat you right!!

• Upvote 2

2007 Citroën C6 (2.7 V6 HDiF).

4-reasons-citroen-c6-6.jpg

Don't think you get a lot of those on your side of the big pond. This obviously is a studio-pic, but mine is identical, beside the fact that it hasn't been washed in almost a year.

I love those big weird Citroën's with the hydropneumatic suspension, I had two XM's before this.

• Upvote 2