Language Barriers - Barrières linguistiques - Sprachbarrieren - barreras del idi

Guest sleestack

Guest sleestack

Does anyone know if the conjunctions we use in English translate into other languages? I am starting to be a little more sensitive to people who have to run stuff through translation apps/sites.

Guest Squirrel

The conjunctions used in English are:

Coordinating Conjunctions: but, or, yet, for, and,nor, so.

Correlative Conjunctions are: either...or, neither...nor, not...but, not only...but (also), both...and.

Subordinating Conjunctions: after, how, unless, although, if , until, as, in order that, what, as far as, provided that, whatever.... Jesus H., and this shit goes on for another 15 English terms, at least!

Combined with the ABSOLUTELY horrible spelling system in English and ever-changing slang, this multitude of conjunctive heaps of shit make it impossible to expect translate.google.com to properly translate anything.

In fucking fact, British English would use plural verbs for what American English considers singular (that's a group noun-verb agreement thing). In fact, I expect to be beat to death by the friggin' Brit spell-checker that Camcaps uses every time I post.

It's amazing we can even communicate with one another.

Now, where are the tits? I wanna see some tits. That's a form of communication upon which we all agree... ;)

And here I was sitting here wondering if he, (sleestack) really meant contractions. :-\

I knew I should have taken the time to refresh my English education. Back when I was in school, they actually taught how to read, write and speak the English language. I don't know what the hell they teach today. But it damned sure isn't English.

Guest Squirrel

I'm sorry guys..... I meant 'Contractions.'

I'll, we'll, don't, aren't  –  those things

translate.google.com doesn't seem to have a problem with English -->Spanish translation of standard contractions.

The translated result is the same whether an English contraction was used or not.

"I cannot find it. I can't find it." yields "Yo no lo encuentro. Yo no lo encuentro."

When we reverse the process, we get "I do not find. I do not find."

I believe that google translate has far more problems translating idiomatic phrases, slang, and incorrect grammatical structure.

I just gave you a - for posting a sentence that may not mean a thing to the youngsters of the public school system. They don't get taught sentence structures anymore. It seems as though English class has become a Creative Writing course.

How much creativity does it take to use the words, 'like', 'um', and 'ya know', as every third word of the sentence or conversation? Not much. Like my Niece said, the use of those three words is the need for their brains to catch up with their mouths.

Guest Squirrel

I just gave you a - for posting a sentence that may not mean a thing to the youngsters of the public school system. They don't get taught sentence structures anymore. It seems as though English class has become a Creative Writing course.

How much creativity does it take to use the words, 'like', 'um', and 'ya know', as every third word of the sentence or conversation? Not much. Like my Niece said, the use of those three words is the need for their brains to catch up with their mouths.

I gave you a +1 for knowing what the fuck is going on. That's really doesn't fit in around here.