Jump to content

Sunday's


HarleyFatboy
 Share

Recommended Posts

How do you all spend your Sunday's.......oops, silly question, never mind.

Well I am spending my Sunday slow smoking some chicken on the BBQ pit for the family.  Using apple wood for the smoking process and a Teriyaki glaze for the chicken.

Get off your asses people and do something for the family!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, HarleyFatboy said:

How do you all spend your Sunday's.......oops, silly question, never mind.

Well I am spending my Sunday slow smoking some chicken on the BBQ pit for the family.  Using apple wood for the smoking process and a Teriyaki glaze for the chicken.

Get off your asses people and do something for the family!!

I play a round of golf every Sunday with my son, my other two boys are way to far away, but my eldest son and I get together every weekend.

I spend every Saturday morning with my mother, we have standing breakfast date, then I take her shopping for her groceries. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Thestarider said:

I play a round of golf every Sunday with my son, my other two boys are way to far away, but my eldest son and I get together every weekend.

I spend every Saturday morning with my mother, we have standing breakfast date, then I take her shopping for her groceries. 

You are a dying breed my friend!  Before I got sick I used to play golf a minimum of 3 times a week and let me tell you, I miss the shit out of that game.  I miss it because it was myself against me.....when we played skins I never worried about how many carry overs there were, I just played my game and if I won it was all for the better.  I couldn't tell you how many golf outings were payed for by my compadres!

Both of my parents have been gone for over 10 years now and I miss them dearly.  Spend all the time you can with your mother because that is time that you will never get back!!

Great post Thes!!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2018 at 2:06 PM, HarleyFatboy said:

How do you all spend your Sunday's.......oops, silly question, never mind.

Well I am spending my Sunday slow smoking some chicken on the BBQ pit for the family.  Using apple wood for the smoking process and a Teriyaki glaze for the chicken.

Get off your asses people and do something for the family!!

I noticed you mentioned apple wood. Excellent choice for all the lighter meats. Obviously great for pork. I have good access to a lot of fruit woods. If you can ever get access to grapefruit wood, try it out. It's the best and sweetest tasting of all the smoking woods with which I have experimented. The fruit is sour, but the wood is sweet. Pecan and cherry are also great for the lighter meats; Almond is good for everything.

Slow smoking is definitely the way to go. I don't do catfish; here we have tri-tip and grilling ruins it. Smoking it properly takes just a bit of study and it comes out tender and juicy with a perfect smoky aura. I usually prefer oak, almond of hickory; some of the family find mesquite to be too pungent, and, if overused, can overwhelm the flavor of the meat when it was supposed to enhance it.

It's rather sad that after all these years, I have not seen one tenant on RLC utilize either a barbecue or a smoker to actually cook a meal. I think maybe it's a lost art to many Europeans and Russians. Rather sad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

I noticed you mentioned apple wood. Excellent choice for all the lighter meats. Obviously great for pork. I have good access to a lot of fruit woods. If you can ever get access to grapefruit wood, try it out. It's the best and sweetest tasting of all the smoking woods with which I have experimented. The fruit is sour, but the wood is sweet. Pecan and cherry are also great for the lighter meats; Almond is good for everything.

Slow smoking is definitely the way to go. I don't do catfish; here we have tri-tip and grilling ruins it. Smoking it properly takes just a bit of study and it comes out tender and juicy with a perfect smoky aura. I usually prefer oak, almond of hickory; some of the family find mesquite to be too pungent, and, if overused, can overwhelm the flavor of the meat when it was supposed to enhance it.

It's rather sad that after all these years, I have not seen one tenant on RLC utilize either a barbecue or a smoker to actually cook a meal. I think maybe it's a lost art to many Europeans and Russians. Rather sad.

I have access to apple, hickory, maple, cherry, oak, pecan, and mesquite woods.  I actually think this is the first time I have ever heard of someone using grapefruit wood and would guess with it being a sweet wood that it would be great with pork, chicken, rabbit, and other light meats.  I will have to check around and see if I can come up with some.  Thanks for the tip!

The problem most people have with using mesquite is two fold.  First off, from what I've seen, people tend to use mesquite when it's still green and hasn't even had a chance to dry out and weather.  Secondly, they tend to use to much of it.  Mesquite is a strong wood and a little bit of it goes a long way!  My dad is the one that taught me damn near all I know about BBQing and smoking meats.  He used mesquite wood all the time but in small quantities and the wood was aged for a long time before he would use it.  I have all the mesquite a fella could ever possibly want......it is abundant on one of my properties, along with oak and pecan.  I have wild pecans on my property and the wood from them is great to use on ribs!!

As for Europeans/Russians on RLC smoking meat, I think they would rather smoke something else that doesn't take that long LOL.

Down in the Southern part of the states is where you're going to find the best BBQ on the planet in my opinion.......it's a fine art!  I have relatives that live in Colorado and every time we plan a trip to go see them, they always say to bring some brisket.  My brother and I will cook 4 briskets about a week ahead of time and then freeze them.  A little time to warm them up in the oven and watch out.......my relatives go ape shit over that brisket lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I myself prefer Cherry Applewood mix, and then there is the good ole faithful Hickory. I have friend who swears by his pellet smoker. and I agree it is easy to control the heat, but nothing beats my old 55 gallon barrel smoker, with a heat box that is indirect heat. Yes you have to keep an eye on it, but that is what I prefer over all these new fangled devices. Just give me good aged wood, some meat that is in dire need of little low and slow, Put together a nice rub of your choice, put the meat on and break the bucket with cold beers, kick back in the pool with the lounge chair and watch it smoke away. Every once in a while get out and stoke the coals a little and then back to the reclined position in the pool.

Love it, I sure miss the boys being around, as I don't fire old smokey much anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Thestarider said:

I myself prefer Cherry Applewood mix, and then there is the good ole faithful Hickory. I have friend who swears by his pellet smoker. and I agree it is easy to control the heat, but nothing beats my old 55 gallon barrel smoker, with a heat box that is indirect heat. Yes you have to keep an eye on it, but that is what I prefer over all these new fangled devices. Just give me good aged wood, some meat that is in dire need of little low and slow, Put together a nice rub of your choice, put the meat on and break the bucket with cold beers, kick back in the pool with the lounge chair and watch it smoke away. Every once in a while get out and stoke the coals a little and then back to the reclined position in the pool.

Love it, I sure miss the boys being around, as I don't fire old smokey much anymore.

A cherry/apple wood mix sounds like a good blend to smoke with.  Pellet smokers are for concrete cowboys in my opinion.  They are for those that don't want to get all up in it and I prefer getting all up in it when need be.  I have literally cooked a ton of meat on the old 55 gallon metal drum that was made into a BBQ pit.....one of my favorites actually!!  I don't have nor want a pool, so you got me there lol, but I'll take a shade tree, a horseshoe pit, and a washtub full of beers any day!!  It's hard when it's just "you" to fire up the pit......trust me, your empathy does not go it alone!!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

Don't blame you there.  You seen enough water to last a Lifetime last year.

LOL yes sir....you are correct!!  However, I know a lot of people that have pools and they all say they are a pain in the ass!  We usually swim in the lake or at the beach and don't have to maintain shit LOL.

I'm going to bed now.....have a good night SC!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, HarleyFatboy said:

LOL yes sir....you are correct!!  However, I know a lot of people that have pools and they all say they are a pain in the ass!  We usually swim in the lake or at the beach and don't have to maintain shit LOL.

I'm going to bed now.....have a good night SC!

Pools are a lot of Maintenance to upkeep.  When I was younger and used to go swimming it was either at the Local Pool that the Municipality Supplied or the Beaches.  Now a-days I wouldn't even swim at  a Beach. Over the last 20 or 30 years the Waters have become so Polluted they actually start becoming a Health Risk to the Public.  

I'll swim in my Bathtub where I know I'm safe.   :biggrin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whelp, I use wood chunks. Sometimes without charcoal. Most of these chunks come off my own fruit trees when they die or need pruning. Sadly, grapefruit doesn't grown in my current location. But I simply stress that it's wonderful for smoking meats. And also very good for smoking portobello mushrooms. (With a bit of butter and/or olive oil, a portobello comes out tasting like steak.)

I put together a hot tub about 30 years ago, but sold it after much use. It was great for getting naked at parties when we were young and in decent shape.

Now I just want it back in winter to mellow out the aches and pains of older age. It was both a fun and a maintenance issue back then, to be sure, but now it's damn near a medical necessity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...