The Failed Education System

I live in Kansas and below is the spending per student in 2016

$19,424 that is state funded,  including local and county mills assessed for property tax.

The Kansas Supreme Court rules that is inadequate funding and needed to be raised by 1.5 billion a year.

Current spending by the State of Kansas for K-12 education is 9,926,760,000 at 511,100 students.

The Kansas Supreme Court has ruled that the state’s spending on public schools remains inadequate despite an increase approved earlier this year. The high court on Monday rejected arguments from the state that a new law phasing in a $548 million increase in funding over five years is enough to provide a “suitable” education for every child as specified in the state constitution. It was the third time in two years the court declared education funding inadequate. The court ruled in a lawsuit filed in 2010 by four school districts. The districts argued that this year’s increase still left the state up to $1.5 billion a year short of adequate spending.

Adjusted funding per student according to the court would be an increase of 1.5 billion/$2935.00 or $22,359.00 per student.

Now for shits and giggles lets say each class 20 students that is 447,000 per classroom per year.

Teacher makes 45,000 plus benefits say another 20,000 or 65,000 from that 447,000 a year. Where the hell is all the money going ? Certainly is not getting the kids a better stronger education, so here is the deal, you can throw money, and then throw more money, and then throw even more money at the problem, but the problem is not fixed, just covered up with money, and in the end you still have very same problem.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Thestarider said:

I live in Kansas and below is the spending per student in 2016

$19,424 that is state funded,  including local and county mills assessed for property tax.

The Kansas Supreme Court rules that is inadequate funding and needed to be raised by 1.5 billion a year.

Current spending by the State of Kansas for K-12 education is 9,926,760,000 at 511,100 students.

The Kansas Supreme Court has ruled that the state’s spending on public schools remains inadequate despite an increase approved earlier this year. The high court on Monday rejected arguments from the state that a new law phasing in a $548 million increase in funding over five years is enough to provide a “suitable” education for every child as specified in the state constitution. It was the third time in two years the court declared education funding inadequate. The court ruled in a lawsuit filed in 2010 by four school districts. The districts argued that this year’s increase still left the state up to $1.5 billion a year short of adequate spending.

Adjusted funding per student according to the court would be an increase of 1.5 billion/$2935.00 or $22,359.00 per student.

Now for shits and giggles lets say each class 20 students that is 447,000 per classroom per year.

Teacher makes 45,000 plus benefits say another 20,000 or 65,000 from that 447,000 a year. Where the hell is all the money going ? Certainly is not getting the kids a better stronger education, so here is the deal, you can throw money, and then throw more money, and then throw even more money at the problem, but the problem is not fixed, just covered up with money, and in the end you still have very same problem.

The public schools in Philly are an absolute disgrace. It's always the same, more money will fix the problem. They put in a tax on sugar in soda and all drinks like that last year. It was suppo sed to go pre schools, but half of it ended up in the general treasury and the city council got more money to get their sorry asses reelected!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Newsroom, a world-beaten (as opposed to world-beating) TV news anchor finds himself on a journalism panel, seated between in a reflection of today’s stark partisan divide a bleeding-heart liberal and a bombastic conservative

I remembered back in 2012 - Watching the new HBO mini-series called the Newsroom. It was disappointing back then, leading up to how far the US Educational system has dropped. Along with a long list of other statistics...Now, there's hope for all  ...When a student in the audience asks, “Can you say why America is the greatest country in the world?”, initially, the anchor ducks and says, “The New York Jets.” Then, fantasizing a woman in the audience holding up cue cards responding to the question that say “It isn’t” followed by “But it can be” (we’ll learn she’s his former executive producer and lover), and forced by the moderator who demands a “human moment” from him, the anchor snaps, “ It isn’t the greatest country, Professor,” and goes on to deliver a speech, a cry from the heart, about why. (Mind Blowing) 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It is my belief that ongoing issues with education, and higher education, has made our young, the next generation to lead this great country Ill prepared for the future, to make the tough decisions that life bears upon all who become parents, start, own, and operate a business, or become the mid, and upper level management of any large corporation. I have interviewed many of these college graduates for employment, I am thoroughly disgusted with the preparation for life these young men and women convey during the interview process. The now generation is a give me, you owe me generation, with extremely poor work ethics. In the last two years, I have focused my target for employment far more on the realm of associate degree grads, as well as the technical school grads. 

• Like 1