The cc UEFA Nations League topic.

Oh dear I forgot about this after England beat Croatia. I knew Portugal still had to play and at the back of my mind Scotland but I've been very tired and by the time I woke up/realised all the matches had kicked off. Probably the organisers were hoping for Spain, Belgium, Italy and France or Germany but it didn't work out that way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BBsq69 said:

Oh dear I forgot about this after England beat Croatia. I knew Portugal still had to play and at the back of my mind Scotland but I've been very tired and by the time I woke up/realised all the matches had kicked off. Probably the organisers were hoping for Spain, Belgium, Italy and France or Germany but it didn't work out that way.

You can still make a prediction BB...I was late with one of mine...😉

Not this late, mind...😏

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BBsq69 said:

Depends,For exemple Italy Its number 19 in FIFA ranking,comparing to England(5) and Portugal(7),and in general both this teams have more good players,stars.But agree Regard the others,Spain,France or Germany could be in finals.PS..great to have you aboard BBsq69.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ooopel said:

oh,congrats to all teams that went to finals!! unfortunately for that phase was ended up quickly,really i got fun with you guys, see you all yaa, in finals round!! cheers to you guys..🥛🥛

giphy.gif

Great to have you onboard dear ooopel.cheers.

25 minutes ago, ze81 said:

Depends,For exemple Italy Its number 19 in FIFA ranking,comparing to England(5) and Portugal(7),and in general both this teams have more good players,stars.But agree Regard the others,Spain,France or Germany could be in finals.PS..great to have you aboard BBsq69.

I really meant for general interest. I know England have maybe the biggest domestic audience of all, but let us face it UEFA have never liked England as a lot of other countries are jealous of the finances of English clubs. My own club Everton aren't that big in an English context nowadays - historically we were - but we hover around 20 in the world's richest clubs and the finance and the strength in depth annoys some others especially now with Brexit and our arrogance. But people do want to see France and Belgium because they have very good players, Spain for their passing and Italy because of their passion and different style of play - the country which invented the art of defending.
England are exciting right now. We still don't pass the ball well although our defenders are getting better at that but we are a genuine threat going forward with skill of Sterling, the enthusiasm of Rashford and the finishing of Kane, who is much more than just a goalscorer even if I think the English media overrates him a bit but that's because so many of them support Tottenham! He's a very good player who contributes a lot more than Lineker but has not got the talent of Rooney, who should have ended up better than he did.

Off topic: Gerard was a great passer of the ball, like Beckham, with a great will to win, more than Beckham, but he could no more beat a player with skill than Beckham and why people who recently said he was as good as Rooney are talking nonsense, and in case you hadn't noticed Rooney could pass as well. Rooney's misfortune was he played in an England team which wasn't really good enough. Lampard and Gerard were continually labelled the best midfielders in the world at club level and yet in about 70 appearance together they clicked about 5 times. I blame Gerard for this as he would not play in the position he was asked to by England manages particularly Capello. Play him in the centre and he joined Lampard behind the striker despite the fact that Lampard was a far better finisher and passer around the area leaving us exposed. Play him on the right where he was good with his passing and crossing and complained and drifted out of position continually. If Lampard wasn't around he could have played attacking midfielder but had nowhere the skill to be World Class in that position. Rooney did but we didn't have another regular striker so he has to play there. Rooney was not a great goalscorer like Lineker and Kane but hardly ever got a run at the No 10. shirt. The fact is that with Rooney, Gerard, Lampard, Beckham and Scholes England were never a great side no matter who the manager was but people swear each of them one was a great. Overhyped just because we see them every week.

Off off topic: Scholes was a different case. I hear a lot of United fans saying he was their best player of their golden generation, but I have rarely seen a match in which he didn't deserve to be sent off for his appalling tackling - if you can't tackle, don't tackle! I remember a match when United won the league. He had already been booked for a dangerous challenge and the when the opposition were breaking out to score a goal which would have given Chelsea the title, he rugby tackled a guy and yet the referee just talked to him. Unbelievable, but typical of his entire career.

• Upvote 1

Very interesting post BB...You're obviously not a fan of Gerrard, my favourite England midfield player ever. In my opinion the managers at the time should take most of the blame why they couldn't get the most out of him and Lampard. Their club form proved that they were world class midfield players who, playing for other top nations, would've proved that and achieved a lot more at International level...Past England managers have had this really annoying habit of picking players who've established themselves and got into the England squad because they've excelled in a particular position or role for their club, out of position. IMO, this happened with Gerard...Another top midfield player you haven't mentioned here is Glen Hoddle, although he couldn't tackle his way out of a paper bag...and of course you fail to mention a certain Alan Shearer...and this is coming from a Sunderland fan...😏

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...