RLCF is dead

sturmchaser

14 hours ago, TBG 150 said:

Like the W-9 sturmchaser.

I have a 389 EXHD stretched day cab. X-15/550, 15, 343:1, on a 280 WB.

FINALLY!!  Someone who speaks my language!!   Thanks!!   RedJenn is my moneymaker, my baby girl, and the love of my life.  86 sleeper, 18, 285.  

I have driven Peters in days past and respect them immensely!  Are you OTR??  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/24/2019 at 9:46 PM, sturmchaser said:

FINALLY!!  Someone who speaks my language!!   Thanks!!   RedJenn is my moneymaker, my baby girl, and the love of my life.  86 sleeper, 18, 285.  

I have driven Peters in days past and respect them immensely!  Are you OTR??  

PM  sent.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 4:32 PM, Amy3 said:

I have a cute little civic hatchback. If it had a hello kitty sticker in the back window it’d be perfect! 💋

i could never drive a truck long distance, I would fall asleep and mangle people. 🤕

That is always a concern, and a danger, not only for us drivers but for cute little roller skates like yours that might become victim to drowsy drivers.  

I always drive within DOT regulations, and my own limitations.  One of the key factors for long haul is to have a great co-pilot.  Which is why I have Fred the dog.  🐕 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, sturmchaser said:

That is always a concern, and a danger, not only for us drivers but for cute little roller skates like yours that might become victim to drowsy drivers.  

I always drive within DOT regulations, and my own limitations.  One of the key factors for long haul is to have a great co-pilot.  Which is why I have Fred the dog.  🐕 

Aww, that is so cute. I bet Fred loves you so much. Curious, how many hours or miles can you drive legally a day? 

Also, what’s the best thing about being a trucker and what’s the worst? If you don’t mind me asking. Sorry, I’m nosy. 😊

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Amy3 said:

Aww, that is so cute. I bet Fred loves you so much. Curious, how many hours or miles can you drive legally a day? 

Also, what’s the best thing about being a trucker and what’s the worst? If you don’t mind me asking. Sorry, I’m nosy. 😊

Thanks for your interest!  The Federal regulations are rather tricky, but in the end, depending on your work week, the max is 14/11 hours, as long as you've had 10 consecutive hours off-duty prior and after.  Everything must be logged.  Some unscrupulous types have found loopholes around these regs, unfortunately, but it's too risky.  I never drive for more than 11 hours straight, and never in inclement weather.  Hence why I have a nice, cushy 86" sleeper cab.  Anything over 11, I just pull over at a trusted c&p and put on my nightie.  If needed, lot lizards know the signs.  That's all I'll say on that.  

Best thing?  For me?  I enjoy my own company I guess LOL.  I'm an IC, which means I work for myself, my own boss, make my own hours, pick the hauls I want, and trailer jockey when the pickins are slim.  I like being on the road, controlling 80,000 pounds of machine, plus the community of OTR that only truckers know about.  It's sort of like the community here on CC or RLCF, only through CB radio (yes, we still use them to this day lol).  There are many handles I have yapped at on the box whom I will never likely meet and never know their true names.  Sort of like here.  Plus the diners, drive-ins, and dives.  Can't forget about the food.  Did you realize most truck stops nowadays offer vegan food?  Back in the day when I was a sidesaddle, we would beat the shit out of some poor bastard who came in asking for an avocado salad.  Nowadays we look and say, hmmmm, probably has cholesterol problems, and commiserate.  

And the BABES!  The number of female OTRs has exploded astronomically from when I started.  And that's a GOOD thing!  Being a trucker is no longer a man's world, that's for damn sure, and I have much respect for these teeny tiny things that can pop a pogo or wrangle a wiggle wagon as if they were born to do it.  

Worst thing?  Traffic.  Traffic jams.  Bridges.  Four wheelers, roller skates, crotch rockets.  Drivers who see the big yellow sign on the back of the trailer that states quite clearly "THIS VEHICLE MAKES WIDE RIGHT TURNS" and yet they still get as fucking close to the intersection as possible.  Drivers who apparently never heard of the phrase "IF YOU CAN"T SEE MY MIRRORS, I CAN"T SEE YOU."   Drivers who think 80k pounds can stop on a fucking dime when they cut in front of me trying to get one car length ahead to save themselves 1 second.  Drivers who think we don't belong on the road even though truckers pay the majority of the goddamned taxes for this road we're both on.  Drivers who.... ugh.  I could go on and on and on, but I think you get the idea.  

But most days it's a very nice experience.  Especially with Fred riding shotgun.  Also nice to come home to a home after a long haul.  I have no problems sleeping the required 10 hours then.  😉  

Sorry to chat your eyes off.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1