Gas Water Heater Explosion

HarleyFatboy

Good morning to all,

I got a phone call from my oldest brother who said he had some kind of explosion in his gas water heater.  Being the caring person that I am, I asked him for the make and model number so I could do some research.  In the meantime I had him go online and find a few licensed plumbers and tell them what happened.  while doing my research he called me back stating that the 3 plumbers he spoke with didn't have a clue about what he was talking about.  Upon further investigation, I found this incident to be primarily for his particular gas water heater.  The reason i'm bringing this up to the forum is because he was just going to have a licensed plumber fix his water heater but online it says to replace the water heater if the TRD (Thermal Release Device) has tripped.  After calling my brother back,  I guided him over the phone to inspect the combustion chamber of his water heater and sure enough, the TRD had tripped.  The TRD is a device that when tripped, shuts the air intake to the combustion chamber to prevent the pilot from staying lit.  Today he and I will be replacing his gas water heater.  I found the research to be very informative and interesting.  It's amazing what you can find on the internet!!

P.S.  It was a Rheem Performance Plus gas water heater.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, HarleyFatboy said:

Good morning to all,

I got a phone call from my oldest brother who said he had some kind of explosion in his gas water heater.  Being the caring person that I am, I asked him for the make and model number so I could do some research.  In the meantime I had him go online and find a few licensed plumbers and tell them what happened.  while doing my research he called me back stating that the 3 plumbers he spoke with didn't have a clue about what he was talking about.  Upon further investigation, I found this incident to be primarily for his particular gas water heater.  The reason i'm bringing this up to the forum is because he was just going to have a licensed plumber fix his water heater but online it says to replace the water heater if the TRD (Thermal Release Device) has tripped.  After calling my brother back,  I guided him over the phone to inspect the combustion chamber of his water heater and sure enough, the TRD had tripped.  The TRD is a device that when tripped, shuts the air intake to the combustion chamber to prevent the pilot from staying lit.  Today he and I will be replacing his gas water heater.  I found the research to be very informative and interesting.  It's amazing what you can find on the internet!!

P.S.  It was a Rheem Performance Plus gas water heater.

Sometimes it Pays to Search.  

• Like 1