Public Service Announcement

sturmchaser

Friends, I rarely post, especially in the Random Discussion forum, as I feel these posts go unnoticed. But please pay attention to this one. 

In case you don't know, I am a long haul OTR truck driver for over so many years I lost count.  And now that one of the busiest travel holidays is upon us in America, Thanksgiving, I urge travelers to use caution while on the highways.  I know you want to go over the hills and through the woods to get to Grandma's house, but please do it smartly, don't be stupid.  If you're stuck in a jam, just chill the fuck out, you'll get out of it eventually.  What you DON'T want to do is play highway games with truckers like me, working on Thanksgiving.  Or you could end up like this poor dumb bastard in the pic below.  WE CANNOT STOP ON A DIME.  This horror is real in America. and I'm sure it's the same in St Pete and Moscow. Please do not challenge us - you will lose. Give us space, respect us, and you will get to your destination in one piece.  

trucksmash.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, sturmchaser said:

Friends, I rarely post, especially in the Random Discussion forum, as I feel these posts go unnoticed. But please pay attention to this one. 

In case you don't know, I am a long haul OTR truck driver for over so many years I lost count.  And now that one of the busiest travel holidays is upon us in America, Thanksgiving, I urge travelers to use caution while on the highways.  I know you want to go over the hills and through the woods to get to Grandma's house, but please do it smartly, don't be stupid.  If you're stuck in a jam, just chill the fuck out, you'll get out of it eventually.  What you DON'T want to do is play highway games with truckers like me, working on Thanksgiving.  Or you could end up like this poor dumb bastard in the pic below.  WE CANNOT STOP ON A DIME.  This horror is real in America. and I'm sure it's the same in St Pete and Moscow. Please do not challenge us - you will lose. Give us space, respect us, and you will get to your destination in one piece.  

trucksmash.jpg

Thank you for the warning, i stay away from the big boy trucks

• Like 3

You all can joke all that you want to. I do the same thing as Sturmchaser, just not all over the country. If I had a penny for every asshole that tries to be cute, cut the truck off and try to see if my brakes work, I could have retired long ago. Unfortunately, the person in the pick up probably isn't alive to tell his little story. Because there is no story one can only ASSume what the cause and effect were in that situation.

I take off for TGiving week for a reason. That is one of them. People are out driving 3000 pound+ vehicles in manners not fitting the roads. They are drunk, stoned, on the phone, not paying one bit of attention to what is going on around them, yet the states give them a permit to operate said vehicles with little to no training at all. What should be law enforcement is non-existent. If there was a presence out there the idiots would not be driving 100 mph weaving in and out of traffic. But the states will tell you, it's not in the budget to hire more patrols.

Yet, God forbid a truck driver gets a parking ticket. The company that he works for wants to crucify him and drug test him. Meanwhile at least 20% of the people on the roads today are intoxicated with not only alcohol, but who knows what other chemical their doctors prescribe to them. There are people driving right next to you that are diabetics that could black out at any second, yet a truck driver has to forfeit feeding his family if his blood sugar isn't right.

I could go on for pages of the horror stories about the road. It's not the drivers fault he can't pull 80,000 lbs up the mountain as fast as your little shitbox can. You don't need to cut him off and slam on the brakes. You just may get someone like me that never touches the brakes. I just figure you don't care about me, why should I care about you. Besides, 80% of the trucks out there have dash cams and your actions are being recorded for the courts.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TBG 150 said:

You all can joke all that you want to. I do the same thing as Sturmchaser, just not all over the country. If I had a penny for every asshole that tries to be cute, cut the truck off and try to see if my brakes work, I could have retired long ago. Unfortunately, the person in the pick up probably isn't alive to tell his little story. Because there is no story one can only ASSume what the cause and effect were in that situation.

I take off for TGiving week for a reason. That is one of them. People are out driving 3000 pound+ vehicles in manners not fitting the roads. They are drunk, stoned, on the phone, not paying one bit of attention to what is going on around them, yet the states give them a permit to operate said vehicles with little to no training at all. What should be law enforcement is non-existent. If there was a presence out there the idiots would not be driving 100 mph weaving in and out of traffic. But the states will tell you, it's not in the budget to hire more patrols.

Yet, God forbid a truck driver gets a parking ticket. The company that he works for wants to crucify him and drug test him. Meanwhile at least 20% of the people on the roads today are intoxicated with not only alcohol, but who knows what other chemical their doctors prescribe to them. There are people driving right next to you that are diabetics that could black out at any second, yet a truck driver has to forfeit feeding his family if his blood sugar isn't right.

I could go on for pages of the horror stories about the road. It's not the drivers fault he can't pull 80,000 lbs up the mountain as fast as your little shitbox can. You don't need to cut him off and slam on the brakes. You just may get someone like me that never touches the brakes. I just figure you don't care about me, why should I care about you. Besides, 80% of the trucks out there have dash cams and your actions are being recorded for the courts.

My nephew is in charge of a very large fleet of trucks and he has told me horror stories about what goes along with the job.  you are spot on with your post!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1