Website Outage Update

Admin

I click my shortcut, then go read other sites on new tabs while it takes CamCaps a minute or so to load, then come back, click the forum I want to read or my PM's and leave again. It can easily take a minute or more to load a page. Other times, it's click it and it's there. 

I think the site itself is so bloated it overpowers the server when a demand is made. It doesn't seem to matter how many people are on at any given time. Anything over 2 years old needs to simply be eliminated. No one reads that drivel but the bots.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TBG 150 said:

I click my shortcut, then go read other sites on new tabs while it takes CamCaps a minute or so to load, then come back, click the forum I want to read or my PM's and leave again. It can easily take a minute or more to load a page. Other times, it's click it and it's there. 

I think the site itself is so bloated it overpowers the server when a demand is made. It doesn't seem to matter how many people are on at any given time. Anything over 2 years old needs to simply be eliminated. No one reads that drivel but the bots.

There's an archiving process that can be run.  All the comments and posts stay in place. The process just compresses everything to a smaller size and make the posts where they can no longer be replied to or no further posts made for that topic. It can be rolled for whatever dates for example everything from 2012 - 2022 could be compressed. Attachments should still be able to download in a compressed state as all the download will do is decompress it for the download but stay in a compressed state.  I'll mention that to Admin and see if something like that can be done. It would sure make a lot more disk space available. 

Think about it. You join a forum because you found a link to it through a Google search. Unless you can't see anything at all, do you join right away? Or do you look through it to see if maybe it offers the info that you want and if the members are decent or smart asses to outsiders. I haunt a site for a while before I join. And how far back is a noobie going to go? A month or two, maybe. The videos in Premium are a different story. A haunter never knows about it to begin with.

Save all that site loading time by doing the compression and leaving current posts/pic&vids up.

I don't know what I'm talking about on the technical level, I'm looking at it on the mechanical level. More square footage to a house  takes longer to build it. More data to load takes longer. The site took 42 seconds to load from the time I clicked my shortcut. The web was already open to the home page. In this case, Bing. Then I click the topic that I know is new and it loads in a second. Within that topic, I pic the thread, click it and it takes 20-30 seconds to load.

I only use 1 tab at a time, so it isn't a multiple tab issue. I'm still going round and round with my host because they keep blocking my IP or the VPN it's attached to. They tell me it's I have too many tabs open and another one tells me my connection is slow and still another has another reason and I just send them screen shots of my info and they get lost. Whatever. It's dinner time for me!

21 hours ago, TBG 150 said:

Think about it. You join a forum because you found a link to it through a Google search. Unless you can't see anything at all, do you join right away? Or do you look through it to see if maybe it offers the info that you want and if the members are decent or smart asses to outsiders. I haunt a site for a while before I join. And how far back is a noobie going to go? A month or two, maybe. The videos in Premium are a different story. A haunter never knows about it to begin with.

Save all that site loading time by doing the compression and leaving current posts/pic&vids up.

I don't know what I'm talking about on the technical level, I'm looking at it on the mechanical level. More square footage to a house  takes longer to build it. More data to load takes longer. The site took 42 seconds to load from the time I clicked my shortcut. The web was already open to the home page. In this case, Bing. Then I click the topic that I know is new and it loads in a second. Within that topic, I pic the thread, click it and it takes 20-30 seconds to load.

I only use 1 tab at a time, so it isn't a multiple tab issue. I'm still going round and round with my host because they keep blocking my IP or the VPN it's attached to. They tell me it's I have too many tabs open and another one tells me my connection is slow and still another has another reason and I just send them screen shots of my info and they get lost. Whatever. It's dinner time for me!

I have mentioned to Admin that we purge every post from the years 2012 - 2018 so only thing that would be remaining is the posts from 2019 to what is presently posted moving forwards.  The apartment boards would still be there to show who was there in the past for archive purposes just all the posts would be removed from those boards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StnCld316 said:

I have mentioned to Admin that we purge every post from the years 2012 - 2018 so only thing that would be remaining is the posts from 2019 to what is presently posted moving forwards.  The apartment boards would still be there to show who was there in the past for archive purposes just all the posts would be removed from those boards.

Not sure if that is ideal. A lot of good stuff will be gone and no archives to refer back to. It is like throwing away history books to change the past bad deeds like slavery and bad behavior of people or generations. Past tenants/guests while be forgotten especially more so since RLC had images removed a few years ago. If this is followed through then you might as well install a system of "automatic deletion of anything one year or older". Does anyone actually know the real root cause of why camcaps is slow and buffering (any intelligent IT people working for camcaps?)? Perhaps certain topic files are too large that overwhelm the system and use up a large amount of memory storage (ie. jokes, Pics & Videos or other topics that include a vast amount of images).

3 hours ago, dougiestyle4u said:

Not sure if that is ideal. A lot of good stuff will be gone and no archives to refer back to. It is like throwing away history books to change the past bad deeds like slavery and bad behavior of people or generations. Past tenants/guests while be forgotten especially more so since RLC had images removed a few years ago. If this is followed through then you might as well install a system of "automatic deletion of anything one year or older". Does anyone actually know the real root cause of why camcaps is slow and buffering (any intelligent IT people working for camcaps?)? Perhaps certain topic files are too large that overwhelm the system and use up a large amount of memory storage (ie. jokes, Pics & Videos or other topics that include a vast amount of images).

Admin is still working on things so everything will stay as is for the time being. If it's still slow after what's being worked on then we can look at purging posts.

Any files on the system would only be what's placed on Third Party Hosts as there are no attachments on the cam caps servers for the years of 2012 - 2018 as they have been removed. It's not common for a Third Party Host to leave old redundant files on their servers for a lifetime. They usually self delete after a certain length of time from non-activity. 

The system has now been updated with the latest Forum Updates from the Software Vendor and to the Server.

Between everything that has taken place the system seems to be now more stable and moving along at a pretty good pace. This should take care of any issues that Cam Caps has had in the past.  

just logged in and yes, the cc system seems to be much much better.  i know this has been a problem and very frustrating for everyone, so much so that there has been times that i would login to cc only to log back out again due to how laggy and slow it was.

good job to everyone that had their hands involved in getting it running smoothly again!

• Upvote 1