Comments/Quotes for Pic & Vids Placed Here (Martina & Alberto) #1

sercan2224

2 hours ago, Howard said:

I'm a rebel!  I'm (unfortunately) living in a cancel-culture society.  Why should CC be any different?! 😄

You've always been a rebel, I get that, but...

Cancel culture is a modern form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles - either online on social media, in the physical world, or both. Those who are subject to this ostracism are said to be "canceled." Wikipedia

How does that apply to CC. Just asking.

1 hour ago, letsdothis said:

You've always been a rebel, I get that, but...

Cancel culture is a modern form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles - either online on social media, in the physical world, or both. Those who are subject to this ostracism are said to be "canceled." Wikipedia

How does that apply to CC. Just asking.

Cancel culture has taken on a variety of definitions and applications (social, political, professional). That you have to go to Wikipedia for a definition to quote (Wikipedia,...really?!?!),...  Its a discussion for another forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howard said:

Cancel culture has taken on a variety of definitions and applications (social, political, professional). That you have to go to Wikipedia for a definition to quote (Wikipedia,...really?!?!),...  Its a discussion for another forum.

I had heard the term, but had not seen a definition. Wiki is a reliable source of information. It's not a discussion I have the time for. I was just interested to know how you applied the term, specifically, to CC. That you have to try to insult me, instead of just answering a casual, but legitimate question...really? I wasn't picking at you, just had a question I thought you could answer.

57 minutes ago, letsdothis said:

I had heard the term, but had not seen a definition. Wiki is a reliable source of information. It's not a discussion I have the time for. I was just interested to know how you applied the term, specifically, to CC. That you have to try to insult me, instead of just answering a casual, but legitimate question...really? I wasn't picking at you, just had a question I thought you could answer.

I wasn't insulting you.  Wiki is not a reliable source for most everything (as many people can alter information on any Wiki page w/o verification). Wiki might be good for peripheral information, but it isn't necessarily a source to find truth. Even Merriam-Webster has no defined interpretation for cancel-culture. Its origins go to the #MeToo movement, of which that movement has stated many falsehoods.

My definition of cancel-culture is taking what has been 'the norm', or accepted by society for generations, that now a minority few, but with a loud voice, find offensive or object to its concept, and thus want to eliminate it.  For example, the change of Aunt Jemima syrup (and it's logo), now being called Pearl Milling Company. Pepsi, which owns the brand, said it no longer represented their core values to appease the loudmouths (yet 56% 1,600 African-Americans surveyed in the USA, who buy the syrup had no objections to the name or logo). But cancel-culture made their voices heard and the Aunt Jemima syrup, and the branded and recognition it HAD that has been around for 130 years, is now the Pearl Milling Company.  That's like the next time you cut your flinger, you'll ask for an adhesive bandage and not a Band-Aid (because Aid might be synonymous with those who have contracted AIDS and thus, people using Band-Aids may be perceived to have an incurable virus). Yea, you laugh now, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Sorry ya'll for the misplaced, long rant.  Back to normal programming.

• Like 1

• StnCld316 changed the title to Comments/Quotes for Pic & Vids Placed Here (Martina & Alberto)
On 2/11/2021 at 11:34 PM, Howard said:

Wiki is not a reliable source for most everything

I finally circled back to this and thought you might be interested.

A group of German researchers found Wikipedia to be 99.7% accurate within the German and English versions.

Live Science compared Wikipedia with Encyclopedia Britannica and found little difference between the two for accuracy of the articles they checked.

https://newslit.org/educators/civic-blog/teachers-its-time-to-embrace-wikipedia/