RLC owners American?

hotcouple

We all know Lora & Max are on gone until March 30th. Why? Because it says so right there on the RLC page - "On vacation until March 30".

Now, this just dawned on me. Other than the United States, are there any other countries out there that refer to it as "vacation"? Maybe I'm wrong, but don't most all European and Asian countries refer to it as being "on holiday"?

about wikipedia "vacation" is used in North America: "Vacation, in English-speaking North America, describes recreational travel, such as a short pleasure trip, or a journey abroad. People in Commonwealth countries use the term holiday to describe absence from work as well as to describe a vacation or journey. Vacation can mean either staying home or going somewhere.

Canadians often use vacation and holiday interchangeably referring to a trip away from home or time off work. In Australia, holiday can refer to a vacation or a public holiday."

here in Italy they call it vacation

in italia non usiamo "vacation" (in italy we don't use vacation but we study the english UK in the schools)

Guest RLCaddict

RLC is owned by:

TECH FASHION INC.

Jordans (Caribbean) Limited

Geneva Place, Waterfront Drive

PO Box 3469, Road Town

Tortola

British Virgin Islands

Their American page is hosted by:

Westhosht Inc.

164 N Spring Creek Pkwy, Providence, UT, 84332, US

They must have staff in different parts of the world. I am really not sure how it works exactly.

Guest sojoe
in italia non usiamo "vacation" (in italy we don't use vacation but we study the english UK in the schools)

Correct, they don't pronounce it "vacation" but "vacanza" and as RLC has a site in Italian and I would presume they have a bi-lingual developer hence the possible translation.

RLC is owned by:

TECH FASHION INC.

Jordans (Caribbean) Limited

Geneva Place, Waterfront Drive

PO Box 3469, Road Town

Tortola

British Virgin Islands

Their American page is hosted by:

Westhosht Inc.

164 N Spring Creek Pkwy, Providence, UT, 84332, US

They must have staff in different parts of the world. I am really not sure how it works exactly.

Jordans is a bank, Westhost is a web service. You don't need to live near either to hire their services. It's a safe bet that mail, email, telephone & everything else is forwarded from other services. Which puts you back to square one, the owner of RLC could be your next-door neighbor.

Jordans is a bank, Westhost is a web service. You don't need to live near either to hire their services. It's a safe bet that mail, email, telephone & everything else is forwarded from other services. Which puts you back to square one, the owner of RLC could be your next-door neighbor.

Or it could be me! You'd never know... :)

But seriously, think about how profitable the site could be... how many paying subscribers do you think the site has? My guess is somewhere around 1,000. Sure, we're a small community here on CC, but that's to be expected - most people who watch the site aren't going to be interested in talking about it. If they have 1,000 subscribers, that's $30,000 a month coming in. Figure they give $600 to Segpay through service fees, leaving $29,400. If each apartment cost them $1,600 a month, subtract another $11,200, leaving $18,200. And figure they probably pay $200 per month per apartment for internet access to the cameras, so subtract another $1,400, leaving $16,800. Service fees and bandwidth to maintain and operate the site probably range around $2,000 a month, leaving $14,800 a month in profit.

Yeah, I'd run a site that made that kind of money!

Or it could be me! You'd never know... :)

But seriously, think about how profitable the site could be... how many paying subscribers do you think the site has? My guess is somewhere around 1,000. Sure, we're a small community here on CC, but that's to be expected - most people who watch the site aren't going to be interested in talking about it. If they have 1,000 subscribers, that's $30,000 a month coming in. Figure they give $600 to Segpay through service fees, leaving $29,400. If each apartment cost them $1,600 a month, subtract another $11,200, leaving $18,200. And figure they probably pay $200 per month per apartment for internet access to the cameras, so subtract another $1,400, leaving $16,800. Service fees and bandwidth to maintain and operate the site probably range around $2,000 a month, leaving $14,800 a month in profit.

Yeah, I'd run a site that made that kind of money!

I can offer some insight here, I would argue that the RLC owners are NOT making big cash on this, at least not yet.  You say 1000 subscribers but is that realistic? life casting is quite niche and most people dont even know it exists to try and seek it out, does RLC promote a lot?  Their affiliate program isnt even online (yet) from what I see.  Also, your estimate on processing fees is optimistic to be kind, segpay charges 14.5% (http://www.segpay.com/service-fees.asp) + transaction fees + 10% six month rolling reserve.  This is mostly standard for any product that has nudity.  The card associations are not flexible when it comes to assigning MCC codes which then define the risk and subsequent retail merchant pricing. So on 30k he actually clears Closer to 25k not taking into account the reserve, he's got 7 apartments full of people to split the take with and we dont know how that is negotiated.  You assume he's just maintaining the costs of the apartments but really fair would be to split it 8 ways which comes out to about 3k per month per apartment and for the webmaster, people expect to get a piece of the pie, not just free rent. That's still a lot, and would justify the full time job of maintaining the site -- but would it justify the up front costs of setting it up in the first place?? 

Anyway, the biggest assumption you made was 1000 members, and I dont mind saying that my website has MUCH LESS than 1000 members and my members area has 14 years of actual content.  From what I see RLC is just members cams, do they have an archive?

All that said, yes please start more lifecasting sites!  It's a niche that's pretty much completely died out since "web 2.0" came about and people started using the internet differently, now voyeurs are rare and cynical with the internet SATURATED with people broadcasting every minuscule detail about their lives to anyone that will pay attention to them -- think of twitter, facebook, instagram, but also chaturbate, cam4, etc.  There's very little attention left for sincere life casting these days which is really too bad.  I'm quite excited to see this reallifecam thing pop up honestly, I thought i was the last of my kind. :)

Seth

http://www.webseth.com

Thanks for your post Seth. I agree. I also thought lifecasting was officially dead. But it never made sense to me based on the things you were referring to like facebook and twitter. If people are so eager to share every tiny unimportant part of their life to the world why are there not more people willing to do it on cam?

I used to be a big fan of the old voyeurdorm.com back in the late 90s early 00s. It was the first site that I had ever seen that used full streaming video 24/7 and didn't use the reloading pics that most cams used back in those days. And I always thought with the advent of so much more technology, better cams, better computers, better wireless access, larger hard drives that there would be 100s of sites like that. Shit, pretty much ever laptop out there has a webcam built in. As does almost all cellphones and tablets.

Right around the time voyeurdorm started to final fall apart for good sites like justintv.com and usteam.tv were starting up. And I thought here it is. Now people can make their own voyeurdorms. That was around the time I first heard the term "lifecasting." But it never actually became that. A lot of those people on justintv and ustream talked about lifecasting but none of them actually did it. It was pretty much people coming on for a short period of time each day, or even less than that and chatting. Plus all those sites wanted to be non-nude and that was the end of those sites being interesting. It was also at that time that those sites introduced "donating" to the cammers. And because some dumb guys would give money to the girls in hopes of seeing some tit (which the sites clearly said was against the rules) or just because some people like to give money away for no reason that became the focus of all those cams. This lead sites like cam4 and chaturbate starting with the ability to "tip" the cammers.

Of course that hasn't been all bad because it basically killed off the pay by minute sites. Which is one of the biggest ripoffs ever. So now if you are cheap like me you can still see a whole lot and spend no money. But the negative is that there are no real lifecasting sites left or there wasn't until RLC came around.

It was either watch the sites like Justintv etc and just see people sitting their talking about nothing or go to cam4 etc and see people sticking things in ever orifice imaginable. But what if you were a voyeur, like me? It's not just about the sex and nudity. It's about watching events unfold during the course of the day. But you also don't want it to be censored. You want their to be a chance to see the sex and nudity at some point as well.

I searched long and far for such sites. I've paid for the US Big Brother feed for the last 3 or 4 years. (I usually pay for the first month than cancel) But that one is worthless too. It's advertised as uncensored. But of course it's not. I don't know if it's because the people on it know they are apart of a TV show that is shown nationally on CBS and they know their friends and family are watching so they try to be modest. Or my other theory is that CBS tells them before they go in to try to show as little nudity as possible because while they want to give the impression it's anything goes they really still want it to be considered family entertainment. I will admit it is entertaining. A lot more happens on the Big Brother cams in terms of drama than you'd ever see on RLC but after a month of seeing all these people getting dressed under a towel or hiding behind a dresser to change you start to get really annoyed and no longer care how entertaining it is.

But anyway, back to my point. The Big Brother stream is really the only thing that I've been able to find since voyeurdorm.com went down that had 24/7 live streaming. And that's only on in the summer. Plus as far as I've been able to see US residents are not allowed access to any of the other countries Big Brother live streams.

So basically your left with the sites like cam4 or justintv, etc but they are not lifecasting sites. They are just streaming chats sites where people come on for a certain period of time and leave. Mostly to try and make a quick buck. Not the same thing.

So I kept searching. It had to be somewhere. I thought maybe I was using the wrong words in my searches. To no avail. I actually thought that maybe the Big Brother producers were not letting anyone start up any 24/7 streaming sites because they owned the concept. Also I knew that the Voyeurdorm people went through a lot of shit when that site first started up and the residents of the area in Florida were the site was hosted got sued by the local residents numerous times trying to get them out of the neighborhood. Because these dumb people thought it was going to turn into a prostitution ring.

Voyeurdorm won all the lawsuits but the girls admitted at some point in chat that because of all the issues they had to deal with, the girls were under strict rules never to show penetration. That they had to keep the site softcore or they could get sent back to court. I think it's funny that the stuff you see on cam4 etc are far worse than anything you ever saw on voyeurdorm.

Nevertheless that stigma is got to be still there and maybe companies are afraid to start something like this up because of fear of the backlash that voyeurdorm got. Plus these sites are for such a niche audience that no one has thought it would be worth the start up costs to give it a try. Maybe that's also why the apartments are outside the US. Just to be on the safe side.

To finish, I was very happy when I came across RLC. After looking for something like this for years. I also wonder what the overhead to run the site is, and if they are making much of a profit. I hope they are. I'm hoping to will lead to some competition. RLC is clearly not advertising aside from coming up in Google searches. Hopefully that's enough.

There are things I would like to see change about the site. Archives would be one, among other things.

But I think this post has been too long already so I'll stop here.