Get ready for Windows 11

October 5th Windows 11 will officially be released through Windows Update to PC's that pass the specifications set out by Microsoft.

There are ways to bypass Microsoft's Standards and as soon as I find out how I'll post it then one won't have to buy another expensive PC or Laptop just for an upgrde to a more advanced O/S.  

BLOGS.WINDOWS.COM

Today, we are thrilled to announce Windows 11 will start to become available on October 5, 2021. On this day, the free upgrade to...

• Like 2

Some older PC or laptops will not be able to use windows 11. I also found out that the next 11th generation chip set is not worth getting in your hard wear because specifically, the 11th-generation Core i5, i7, and i9 processors that will be available in many desktop computers in the next couple of months are difficult to recommend because they are only a little faster than the 10th-generation processors they replace, and because they run much hotter and use much more electricity.

39 minutes ago, blue is the colour said:

Some older PC or laptops will not be able to use windows 11. I also found out that the next 11th generation chip set is not worth getting in your hard wear because specifically, the 11th-generation Core i5, i7, and i9 processors that will be available in many desktop computers in the next couple of months are difficult to recommend because they are only a little faster than the 10th-generation processors they replace, and because they run much hotter and use much more electricity.

Someone will find a workaround to bypass Microsoft's specifications.  It may not be right a way but sometime in 2022 there will be something so others can get the upgrade even if their machine does not pass the standards.  Windows 10 users won't have any worries for awhile yet.  Microsoft has support until 2025 for Windows 10 versions 20H2 and 21H1. If one wants to find out what version of Windows 10 they have just go to the search bar and type winver and click the application to see the current version.  

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 RTM is now available.  Microsoft should be releasing it too Windows Update soon.  It's 5.12GB in size so depending on the speed of the computer determines how quickly it will setup.  I myself am downloading a copy directly as I prefer a clean install over a Windows Update upgrade which just overwrites the existing files.  

22 hours ago, StnCld316 said:

Windows 11 RTM is now available.  Microsoft should be releasing it too Windows Update soon.  It's 5.12GB in size so depending on the speed of the computer determines how quickly it will setup.  I myself am downloading a copy directly as I prefer a clean install over a Windows Update upgrade which just overwrites the existing files.  

Where did you download it from. I tried the Microsoft store and through Update and all I could get was the program that told me I was configured for Windows 11.

Are you one of those Insider persons?

35 minutes ago, albundy1089 said:

Where did you download it from. I tried the Microsoft store and through Update and all I could get was the program that told me I was configured for Windows 11.

Are you one of those Insider persons?

I do have a Windows Insider Account. Here is a link to get it directly from Microsoft without having to wait for Windows Update to release it.

There are 3 Options so pick what's best.

Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com)

45 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

I do have a Windows Insider Account. Here is a link to get it directly from Microsoft without having to wait for Windows Update to release it.

There are 3 Options so pick what's best.

Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com)

Thanks!

I do have Insider, but moved myself later in the Beta string because I can't afford issues in the early releases.

35 minutes ago, albundy1089 said:

Thanks!

I do have Insider, but moved myself later in the Beta string because I can't afford issues in the early releases.

I had the Beta back on August 28th and it worked very well.  The only issue I really had was trying to get a backup completed.  I had to basically run a backup 3 times before 1 would take.  So hopefully they'll have that corrected with this release.  I tried installing the RTM this morning but I ran into some issues.  It seems Windows 11 won't run with a MBR (Master Boot Record) and the disk has to be converted to GPT.  I have dome GPT formats in the past but it's been awhile so I'll have to use Google to get all the GPT Commands. I'll try another attempt tomorrow.

Good thing I kept the last backup or I would have been screwed for getting back online for the day.  :biggrin:

2 hours ago, StnCld316 said:

Here is a Video showing how to convert the disk from MBR to GPT.  It says windows 10 and Windows 8 but the commands will work for Windows 11 as well.

I did the install, everything is fine so far. not sure about the center menu but we'll see if I change it. I'll look at the video tomorrow since that's next on the list.

Thanks for the link!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, albundy1089 said:

I did the install, everything is fine so far. not sure about the center menu but we'll see if I change it. I'll look at the video tomorrow since that's next on the list.

Thanks for the link!

The center menu will change itself. As you add things to it, it will move over to the left after each addition.  I have 37 items on mine. It's a bit of a learning curve. Things still work the same as before but there's more navigating to get features to work as they are all not in the same places as the previous O/S.  It'll take a couple of days to get used to the changes but it's worth it.