300 U.S. Marines trapped by 5000 ISIS fighters

itsme

Well .. I am a little concerned about this.  I am not concerned about the US marines being able to do their job.  That they will do VERY well.  But they are training Iraqis .... so they need to preform very well.  That I no nothing about.  I just don't want to see the marines have to clean up after a lot of screw ups.  That is how marines die! 

I would rather the marines just step in and handle this situation. That I have confidence in - an frankly they live for this.

Few Marines these days get killed because they step up and do their job.  What kills American soldiers, including Marines, is PROE.  That's Pussy Rules of Engagement.  "Sure you can carry your rifle, but no bullets."  That's obviously an exaggeration, but you get the idea.  "Go ahead and return enemy fire, but only after you have been shot."  I am confident President Walker will give the same instructions and use the same ROEs that FDR gave Eisenhower:  "Do whatever you have to do; just go win it." 

Well .. I am a little concerned about this.  I am not concerned about the US marines being able to do their job.  That they will do VERY well.  But they are training Iraqis .... so they need to preform very well.  That I no nothing about.  I just don't want to see the marines have to clean up after a lot of screw ups.  That is how marines die! 

I would rather the marines just step in and handle this situation. That I have confidence in - an frankly they live for this.

Few Marines these days get killed because they step up and do their job.  What kills American soldiers, including Marines, is PROE.  That's Pussy Rules of Engagement.  "Sure you can carry your rifle, but no bullets."  That's obviously an exaggeration, but you get the idea.  "Go ahead and return enemy fire, but only after you have been shot."  I am confident President Walker will give the same instructions and use the same ROEs that FDR gave Eisenhower:  "Do whatever you have to do; just go win it."

Sad thing is with war. Nobody comes out a winner.

Sad thing is with war. Nobody comes out a winner.

Sure they do!

Chin up, Buckaroo! 

There sure are winners in war, but only if the goal is to win, not to bring the blessings of democracy, nation build, create markets, etc.

The U.S. and her allies can't lose a war if they decide that is what the goal is.  So you are partially correct:  So long as the goal is not absolute victory, using overwhelming military might, followed by a quick departure, there will be only partial winners -- the other guys.  There sure as shit will be losers, however: the U.S. and her allies.  Every time, without exception. 

Barry Goldwater and Curtis LeMay would have settled the Vietnam issue in about six weeks and no, the USSR would not have nuked the U.S.  Who killed 60,000 G.I.s?  Lyndon Baines Johnson, that's who.

Towards the end of WWI, delegates from Vietnam attended a conference in Paris to discuss autonomy and self determination. Despite promises, the British and French refused to allow self rule, a decision supported by the US.

Sound similar to the middle east?

The French failed to control Vietnam, but the allies thought they could do better.

Sound similar to Afghanistan?

What the allies didn't realise was that this was not two countries fighting, North and South, but one country with two factions, a civil war. The US backed the weaker side.

Sound familiar to the middle east?

The cluster bombs, napalm air strikes, search and destroy missions, deadly chemical sprays, and huge numbers of casualties did little to break the will of the Vietnamese and never ensured a U.S. victory.

Sound familiar to the middle east?

The word clusterfuck was derived during the Vietnam war, a way to blame everything that went wrong on middle management. We need an equivalent expression to place the blame where it really lies, at senior management (politician) level.

• 4 weeks later...

To add tho this dead thread,i am sure most of the 'news' that we hear is propaganda to keep americans, and other fucknuts who believe the 'news', interested in the 'war' and re-establish concerns to keep troops over there. Believing in the news is like believing shit you read on the internet.Believe me.,,oh wait,,or don't,hmmmm.