New Microsoft Site that guess ages - Reallifecam Edition

itsme

Microsoft created a new site http://how-old.net/# where you can upload pictures and it will guess the age of the people in the pictures. Apparently, they are using it as part of some marketing campaign. In any case I uploaded a few pics of RLC tenants. Not quite sure on the accuracy, but it seems legit.

Screen_Shot_05_02_15_at_07_12_PM.jpg

Screen_Shot_05_02_15_at_07_19_PM.jpg

Screen_Shot_05_02_15_at_07_20_PM.jpg

Screen_Shot_05_02_15_at_07_25_PM.jpg

Screen_Shot_05_02_15_at_07_30_PM.jpg

If it's posted by itsme, I take it seriously. He's a genius.

This is hot technology. Scary, in a way.

I've been testing it with Nora pictures. The age range reported is from 23 to 53. They're looking at eyes, nose, and mouth triangles, and not jowels or under-eye sag. Generally, tits and stretch marks are a better indication of a woman's age and experience. And race is really iffy: it needs to be put into the algorithm, as well as the huge diversity among individuals. One photo cannot show age: the current algorithm will always lack sufficient data with just one picture.

Maybe I'll post some findings if I get the time: so far, the results are not particularly successful. Some fine extreme power tuning is needed in the programming. AI is not easy to do. We're talking human emulation here, and humans a bunch of complicated, crazed idiots.

Even humans such as ourselves can be amazingly mistaken about the age of others. And believe me, we're programmed to recognize faces better than anything we've ever created because we learn it from birth.

This thread is interesting as CC threads can be.

Microsoft created a new site http://how-old.net/# where you can upload pictures and it will guess the age of the people in the pictures. Apparently, they are using it as part of some marketing campaign. In any case I uploaded a few pics of RLC tenants. Not quite sure on the accuracy, but it seems legit.

Screen_Shot_05_02_15_at_07_12_PM.jpg

Screen_Shot_05_02_15_at_07_19_PM.jpg

Screen_Shot_05_02_15_at_07_20_PM.jpg

Screen_Shot_05_02_15_at_07_25_PM.jpg

Screen_Shot_05_02_15_at_07_30_PM.jpg

Likely about as accurate as  http://www.deathclock.com  that site said I was supposed to be dead 5 years ago and I am still kicking.

It is a legitimate site. MS is using it to fine tune the facial recognition software they want to use to replace passwords, logins and such.

It's also not very accurate, but this site will make it better.

http://www.maximumpc.com/microsoft’s_age_guessing_algorithm_jerk_2015

For their upcoming windows 10 that's supposed to be released in June.

If you already have windows 8 or 8.1 then you qualify for a free upgrade otherwise you have to buy retail and pay $300 or more for a disk.  I always download all my Operating Systems from BitTorrent then it's free all the time.

I just put my picture on it and it said I was 68  then I put the same pic up a second time and it said 64. Looks like they got a bit of work to bring that to perfection.

It is a legitimate site. MS is using it to fine tune the facial recognition software they want to use to replace passwords, logins and such.

If you already have windows 8 or 8.1 then you qualify for a free upgrade otherwise you have to buy retail and pay $300 or more for a disk.  I always download all my Operating Systems from BitTorrent then it's free all the time.

I just put my picture on it and it said I was 68  then I put the same pic up a second time and it said 64. Looks like they got a bit of work to bring that to perfection.

Time to nitpick a bit, if you don't mind.

The latest word, courtesy of AMD's CEO, is that Win10 will be released late July.  I'm assuming that will be the release to OEM's.  Consumer release is still unknown, but will be after that.

Concerning MS's update policy:

Kicking off the consumer-focused Windows 10 event in Redmond on Tuesday, January 21, Microsoft operating system chief Terry Myerson announced that current users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to the new operating system for free as long as they do so within one year of Windows 10's launch—even if your version of Windows is pirated. Once you’ve claimed the upgrade, it's permanent, and Microsoft will keep you updated for the supported lifetime of the device.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html

Anyway, regarding that site...I haven't uploaded a picture of myself.  I figure MS has plenty of pictures of me on my OneDrive account already.  If they want to use them to play with their algorithm, they can have at it.

Time to nitpick a bit, if you don't mind.

The latest word, courtesy of AMD's CEO, is that Win10 will be released late July.  I'm assuming that will be the release to OEM's.  Consumer release is still unknown, but will be after that.

Concerning MS's update policy:

Kicking off the consumer-focused Windows 10 event in Redmond on Tuesday, January 21, Microsoft operating system chief Terry Myerson announced that current users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to the new operating system for free as long as they do so within one year of Windows 10's launch—even if your version of Windows is pirated. Once you’ve claimed the upgrade, it's permanent, and Microsoft will keep you updated for the supported lifetime of the device.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html

Anyway, regarding that site...I haven't uploaded a picture of myself.  I figure MS has plenty of pictures of me on my OneDrive account already.  If they want to use them to play with their algorithm, they can have at it.

No Problem.  I read an article a couple weeks ago and the one I read was saying June.  So if it's July then not to far off only a month. I was running the trial windows 10 preview from Microsoft but had to uninstall it as the 6 Month trial was over.  Worked quite well. More solid than any other O/S Microsoft has ever made. Just a few minor glitches in it but they were reported and hopefully will be corrected before its release.  I already have 8.1 so I qualify for the free upgrade. My 8.1 is a pirated copy and it passes the validation every time I set it up.

Gee, I have until March 31, 2032, to be around. That sucks. I'll only be 74. Just when I can finally claim my entitlement, I'll kick off. Planned obsolescence.

You must have checked the death clock.  You're still a spring chicken yet at 57.