Happy Thanksgiving

Guest TxFeller

Guest TxFeller

To all.

At times it seems there is so little to be thankful for. You're reading this now, so you still have your sight and at least some faculty of mind. That may seem insignificant, but it is something.

When the sun comes up, the sky will still be blue, the sun a bright ball of light yellow, and the earth will still be spinning on its axis. It may be cloudy where you are, but the fact that there is daylight tells you the sun is shining, even if you can't directly observe it.

If you are relatively, or totally, pain-free, that's something to be thankful for, too. If you can breathe without assistance, that's helpful, also.

You're not likely homeless (unlike some of our vets), so that, too, is something to be thankful for. If you have a job, whether it's one you like or not, be thankful you aren't unemployed. Although, to be perfectly honest, I see Help Wanted signs all across the Midwest, many for jobs that well exceed the minimum wage. Get ya one of those if ya don't got one. ;)

If you're on a diet, blow it off for the day and go back on it tomorrow, and be thankful you can eat.

Be thankful if you can walk down the sidewalk, minding your own business, without having a cop decide tomorrow isn't in your future, and you, therefore, get a sudden case of lethal lead poisoning.

Be thankful you live in a country where you can voice an opinion, and although few TV news shows have the balls to bring you the news today as Cronkite, Brinkley, Severeid, and Huntley did, they do at least have the right to do so without fear of prison.

Be thankful, for that matter, that we live in a country that was peopled and founded by some quite extraordinary visionaries who gave us a guiding document that was unprecedented in its statements of freedom for every citizen. It isn't a perfect document, but it's the best we, as mankind, have yet produced.

Be thankful Congress hasn't yet found the balls to relieve you of ALL your money so they can give it to the mega-rich.

Be thankful for friends, ones who will stand by you through every year, lean or fat.

Be thankful for all the artists who are or have come before, whether their canvas was in your mind, in your ears, or on your walls. They have enriched everyone's lives, intentionally or not.

Be thankful for those who have died in defense of your freedoms and those who are forever damaged in that same defense. If you pray, pray for those, also. If you provide jobs, consider giving one to a vet, in spite of the fact that he or she might be "shell-shocked", and be understanding. If you've never been in their shoes, full understanding isn't going to be possible, but at least take a swing at it.

Anyone want to add their thoughts?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be thankful if you can walk down the sidewalk, minding your own business, without being mugged and if you are, be thankful if you live in a country that allows you to carry a weapon to protect yourself, for the rest there may not be a tomorrow.

Think of all the people who has died because of war,be it your enemy or not.think of the 911 incedent and all of the people who died during and after. think of the resent bombings in paris etc. all of the drive by's,

if you are not in a lot of pain every day or have a crippling disease, if you are not hungry or homeless or alone.

i could go on and on but you get the idea.

If you are reading this then you have your head 'ABOVE GROUND' so to all  :welcome: and Be Thankful.

[move]HAPPY THANKSGIVING[/move]

I wonder what other countries in the world celebrate the Thanksgiving Day holiday, beside the United States?

Those of you in other parts of the world care to contribute a little information to the rest of us? Does the country in which you live celebrate a U.S. tradition?

I know that Canada does, but I was more interested in the EurAsia countries. I see that they have Halloween parties, set up Christmas trees and the like, but never paid much attention to Thanksgiving.

Me? I celebrate with a nice Prime Rib roast, not some dried up yard bird.

I know that Canada does, but I was more interested in the EurAsia countries. I see that they have Halloween parties, set up Christmas trees and the like, but never paid much attention to Thanksgiving.

Me? I celebrate with a nice Prime Rib roast, not some dried up yard bird.

We had homemade enchiladas with all the trimmings from my late moms recipe book.  You should have seen a bunch of germans making homemade enchiladas, it was a site to behold but it turned out damn good.  We love you mom & dad!!!

Guest TxFeller

TBG, man, that sounds great. I love a good prime rib. Have some creamed horseradish and some au jus gravy to go with it and I am set.  :drool:

What was in your enchiladas, dfCcap? I used to make Green Enchiladas. Filling is chopped onion, chopped black olives and shredded monterrey jack. Sauce has a base of chicken broth plus sour cream and just enough flour or cornstarch to thicken the mix up, plus any leftover chopped innards and shredded cheese. I've tried putting meat into them, but they just aren't the same.