V.O.I.P.

It really depends on the service provider and your setup. If you're going to use something like Skype or Google voice your biggest concern will be making sure that you have enough bandwidth. If you're going the route of setting up your own PBX and SIP trunk things can be a bit more complicated. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, itsme said:

It really depends on the service provider and your setup. If you're going to use something like Skype or Google voice your biggest concern will be making sure that you have enough bandwidth. If you're going the route of setting up your own PBX and SIP trunk things can be a bit more complicated. 

Thanks for your reply.   

I wasn't going to use it for Google or Skype. It's more or less just for my regular Home Phone Service since my Landline Phone costs $50 a month  and VOIP is offered for $10 a Month.My ISP which is Cable and Bandwidth is Unlimited usage with a speed of 100 MBPS.  So Bandwidth is not an issue with my service..  I only get about 10 calls coming in and about the same going back out in a Month so it won't be used on a daily basis. It was more or less about bringing my costs down.  I just wanted to try and find out whether it's a Reliable Service.  I know someone else that tried it and he wasn't to satisfied with it saying he always got disconnected and had to recall people back most of the time from the disconnects but I don't know what kind of Bandwidth he was running but by his Standard of Living I can bet he had the lowest service of Internet possible which would be Lite Internet at 1.5MBPS.

9 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

Thanks for your reply.   

I wasn't going to use it for Google or Skype. It's more or less just for my regular Home Phone Service since my Landline Phone costs $50 a month  and VOIP is offered for $10 a Month.My ISP which is Cable and Bandwidth is Unlimited usage with a speed of 100 MBPS.  So Bandwidth is not an issue with my service..  I only get about 10 calls coming in and about the same going back out in a Month so it won't be used on a daily basis. It was more or less about bringing my costs down.  I just wanted to try and find out whether it's a Reliable Service.  I know someone else that tried it and he wasn't to satisfied with it saying he always got disconnected and had to recall people back most of the time from the disconnects but I don't know what kind of Bandwidth he was running but by his Standard of Living I can bet he had the lowest service of Internet possible which would be Lite Internet at 1.5MBPS.

For you setup I'd say go for it. Especially if it's being provided by the ISP, because they typically have dedicated lines just for SIP traffic so it will be more reliable. Your your speed is more than enough, it actually doesn't use that much bandwidth, it's more about latency.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, itsme said:

For you setup I'd say go for it. Especially if it's being provided by the ISP, because they typically have dedicated lines just for SIP traffic so it will be more reliable. Your your speed is more than enough, it actually doesn't use that much bandwidth, it's more about latency.

Thank You for your help.  

I'll call my ISP   and get them to set me up.  Then after I get it going I can cancel my Landline Service.   Paying one bill a Month for $80 is better than Two Bills that Total almost $130.

• 1 year later...
On 4/13/2016 at 11:23 AM, StnCld316 said:

Thank You for your help.  

I'll call my ISP   and get them to set me up.  Then after I get it going I can cancel my Landline Service.   Paying one bill a Month for $80 is better than Two Bills that Total almost $130.

I use voip.ms, and have had no complaints in 5 years. the $10 you were quoted isn't bad, but depending how often you use your phone, you might/could  do better.

The service I use (already mentioned), charges for both incoming calls and outgoing calls, and for 911 service in Canada ($2/month from your account balance). Outgoing calls that you make are 0.5 cents/minute, and incoming calls are 1 cent per minute. If I get a call that I know will be a long one, I say hang up, and I will call you right back. We can talk to friends in Australia for an hour for $0.30. There is a gizmo you have to purchase (Google OBI) that slots between the phone and the ISP signal, but that cost is soon recovered. When your account balance gets low you just top it up, No restrictions there so long as the account does to go to zero.

BTW, I no longer get spam calls, since I can block numbers, and your call records logs every incoming and outgoing call made.  Can you tell I like Voip?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tweety said:

I use voip.ms, and have had no complaints in 5 years. the $10 you were quoted isn't bad, but depending haow often you use your phone, you might/could  do better.

The service I use (already mentioned), charges for both incoming calls and outgoing calls, and for 911 service in Canada ($2/month from your account balance). Outgoing calls that you make are 0.5 cents/minute, and incoming calls are 1 cent per minute. If I get a call that I know will be a long one, I say hang up, and I will call you right back. We can talk to friends in Australia for an hour for $0.30. There is a gizmo you have to purchase (Google OBI) that slots between the phone and the ISP signal, but that cost is soon recovered. When your acoount balance gets low you just top it up, No restrictions there so long as the account does to go to zero.

BTW, I no longer get spam calls, since I can block numbers, and your call records logs every incoming and outgoing call made.  Can you tell I like Voip?

I'm quite satisfied with my VOIP Service. Never had any issues with it yet.  Only downfall is if you have a Power Outage you got no phone to use but that's not a big issue. I can call anywhere in Canada for $10 Per Month and includes 911 and 4 Calling Features.