Wine, Beer & Spirits -- Vins, Bières & Spiritueux

Here we talk about fine wines, beers, whisky, and occasionally a wild woman.

There are many brewers and vintners and experts on this board, so we can discuss our favorite libations here.

----

Ici, nous parlons de vins, bières, whisky, et parfois une femme sauvage.

Il y a beaucoup de brasseurs et viticulteurs et des experts sur ce forum, afin que nous puissions discuter de nos libations préférés ici.

je ne sais pas si vous avez vu ce que je disais tout à l'heure  le mousseux est fabriqué de la meme façon que   le Champagne mais il n' a pas le droit à l'appellation car il est fabriqué hors de la région Champagne  et en Bourgogne nous appelons cela le Crémant

les vins mousseux sont  des vins de plus en plus  prisés car cela coute moins cher  pour beaucoup de personnes que d'acheter  du  Champagne et rapport qualité prix  les vins mousseux avec les nouvelles technologies font de plus en plus de concurrence au Champagne

I'm an ale guy myself, but I understand why many of my friends LOVE trappist brews and lambics. I never brewed any myself. I found the process to be more difficult to brew and gave up quickly. Some things are best left to professional monks working under controlled monastery conditions.

---

Je suis un gars de la bière moi-même, mais je comprends pourquoi beaucoup de mes amis aiment bières et lambics trappistes. Je n'infusé tout moi-même. Je trouve que le processus soit plus difficile à brasser et abandonné rapidement. Certaines choses sont mieux laisser aux moines professionnels travaillant dans des conditions de monastère contrôlées.

(Damn, I hope that translates properly!)

I had said I would get a little video of brew day. I still am but I've been moving my brewing partner into our guest room as he is on his way to Nashville and needs to get a few gigs taken care of (musician) before he can leave town. Looks like Wednesday will be the day. However, my wife and one of her friends have purchased the ingredients for Elderberry wine. So I guess that may be the activity of the day.

15 hours ago, daily said:

je ne sais pas si vous avez vu ce que je disais tout à l'heure  le mousseux est fabriqué de la meme façon que   le Champagne mais il n' a pas le droit à l'appellation car il est fabriqué hors de la région Champagne  et en Bourgogne nous appelons cela le Crémant

les vins mousseux sont  des vins de plus en plus  prisés car cela coute moins cher  pour beaucoup de personnes que d'acheter  du  Champagne et rapport qualité prix  les vins mousseux avec les nouvelles technologies font de plus en plus de concurrence au Champagne

Les vins mousseux (comme CAVA de Codorniu) sont tres bonnes aujourd´hui, et considérablement moins cher que champagne. Pour moi, champagne est surestimé.

I think the sparkling wines of today - especially the Spanish cavas - are as good as Champagne, and I never buy Champagne, I find it overrated. I get champagne often when my younger brother comes to visit us, he wants to bring champagne as he is a big boss and wants to show it - upstart behavior but I don´t blame him.

This week a Belgian, family owned, brewery called "Palm Belgian Craft Brewers" was sold to the Dutch brewery "Bavaria".

Palm Brewery was founded in 1686 in a small town near Brussels called Steenhuffel.  Currently Palm Breweries has multiple breweries in Belgium and brews following beers:

PALM (amber beer, the most famous amber beer in Belgium & the Netherlands) (and variations like PALM Royale, Dobbel PALM, PALM Hop Select & PALM N.A.)
Bock Pils (Pilsner beer, very limited sales at this point, mostly local since it was virtually replaced with a new Pilsner beer)
Estaminet (Pilsner beer, virtually the replacement of Bock Pils and virtually identical to Bock Pils but "invented" to reach a broader market since Bock Pils was only known locally)
Rodenbach (and several variations: Rodenbach Vintage, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Rodenbach Rosso, Rodenbach Caractere): Brown sourish beer
Brugge Tripel: Heavy blond beer
Steenbrugge: Abbay styled beer available in blond, brown, amberish and also white
Cornet: Heavy blond beer, virtually a DUVEL style beer (Duvel & Palm used to work together but several years ago both brewers had a falling after which PALM created a competitor to DUVEL)

PALM Brewery also owns a 50% participation in the BOON Brewery.  BOON is famous for it's "geuze" beers and its fruit beers (Cherry, raspberries, ...)

With the sale of PALM a famous Belgian brewer will become a Dutch brewer.

May PALM rest in peace :-(

Yeah, I'm Belgian so I'm not happy to see a Belgian brewer become a Dutch one, certainly since Dutch brewers are famous in Belgium for brewing "pee"  (Every Belgian virtually dislikes Dutch beers due to the bad flavours (or rather lack of flavour).  So we refer to Heineken, Bavaria, Dommelsch, etc... as a glass of pee or a glass of dish water. :biggrin:

27 minutes ago, echoone said:

Yeah, I'm Belgian so I'm not happy to see a Belgian brewer become a Dutch one, certainly since Dutch brewers are famous in Belgium for brewing "pee"  (Every Belgian virtually dislikes Dutch beers due to the bad flavours (or rather lack of flavour).  So we refer to Heineken, Bavaria, Dommelsch, etc... as a glass of pee or a glass of dish water. :biggrin:

That's what it looks and tastes like too. Pee. Like the Europeans thinking Budweiser is a great beer. Mexican piss in a can.

2 minutes ago, TBG 150 said:

That's what it looks and tastes like too. Pee. Like the Europeans thinking Budweiser is a great beer. Mexican piss in a can.

Compared to Heineken, Budweiser is a prime beer...  But in general Bud isn't the best available.

Me, myself am not a big beer drinker, hell I don't drink alcohol at all (well, except for a very occasional single malt (18yo Bowmore or even better the 23yo port cask matured Bowmore though that's an expensive bottle) paired with a Montecristo or a Romeo Y Julieta cigar but as a Belgian I did try a lot of beers at least once.  And we do have some very fine beers in our country.

TBG I think we should invite echone to the old dudes thread ,  but the first round is on him though, and you bring some of those really nice Cubans from just south of you. we get Foamy to join us and we will tell a whole bunch of lies, and wild tales. What do you think ?

• Upvote 1