Influence of books & real games on the couples' relationships?

Guest Squirrel

Guest Squirrel

When Alma & Stefan first appeared, they played Texas Hold 'em with real cards. Previous to the last "knock-down drag-out" fight, they had been doing nothing but screwing around in separate rooms with their own computers. Now, today, I see they are playing "real" monopoly -- engaging and relating to one another. Personally, I consider this activity healthier for a relationship than just watching TV. Maybe I'm wrong on this, or just old fashioned. There was another game that appeared in several houses for a brief period (I forgot the name, it's called Sorry or Trouble in my area), but nobody is playing it any more. They're back to computers and TV.

I also check to see who actually owns or reads real books (not just fashion magazines), and have noticed that only Kiko & Nora own or read REAL bound books. Again, I may be old fashioned, but I can understand people's interests and intellectual development by the number and quality of books in their personal library. I see that the RLC couples are sadly busy watching their huge flat-screen TVs and  mousing over icons on their ASUS computers, but rarely can be seen just reading literature or playing "real" games with each other.

I suspect this self-imposed electronic separation may be contributing to the recent spats of fighting; especially since having cameras watching you 24-7 should be enough of a stress on a relationship.

Your thoughts, my fellow observers?

You are right 100% - Expand that thought and you see what is wrong with our society. Even in my family we all have computers, IPads, I Phones ect and it is often everyone - including me - that is nose deep in our own world almost oblivious to what is around us! Certainly RLC borders on the addictive!

At least tonight - now -  I am relating to another individual, attempting to put some thoughts together so maybe that counts for some interpersonal exchange!

cas

When Alma & Stefan first appeared, they played Texas Hold 'em with real cards. Previous to the last "knock-down drag-out" fight, they had been doing nothing but screwing around in separate rooms with their own computers. Now, today, I see they are playing "real" monopoly -- engaging and relating to one another. Personally, I consider this activity healthier for a relationship than just watching TV. Maybe I'm wrong on this, or just old fashioned. There was another game that appeared in several houses for a brief period (I forgot the name, it's called Sorry or Trouble in my area), but nobody is playing it any more. They're back to computers and TV.

I also check to see who actually owns or reads real books (not just fashion magazines), and have noticed that only Kiko & Nora own or read REAL bound books. Again, I may be old fashioned, but I can understand people's interests and intellectual development by the number and quality of books in their personal library. I see that the RLC couples are sadly busy watching their huge flat-screen TVs and  mousing over icons on their ASUS computers, but rarely can be seen just reading literature or playing "real" games with each other.

I suspect this self-imposed electronic separation may be contributing to the recent spats of fighting; especially since having cameras watching you 24-7 should be enough of a stress on a relationship.

Your thoughts, my fellow observers?

I agree that people who play games together could have a healthier relationship.  The problem with computer games is that they generally don't involve more than one person in the household at a time and if the person playing the game gets too involved with it, it can lead to the partner being ignored.  The classic RLC example would be Alina and Anton.  There are exceptions, though.  Mainly with the console-type games.

I don't agree that hard-bound books are better than the e-book variety.  I haven't bought a hard-bound or paperback book in years, but I am always reading.  Also, I don't think the lack of reading necessarily contributes to spats or the like.  For example, Olga regularly read both hard-bound books and e-books.  That didn't seem to have any effect on her relationship with Serge.  They still split up. 

Guest vivo615

agree with u

the electronic things are separating us from others. less communications, less co-work, less fun together--all make us lonely day by day, but no one aware of this or change this. what a tragedy.