Educational dissuasion for Russian women?

Guest TxFeller

Guest TxFeller

We were having a discussion about Leora. I posited that she seems rather a shallow thinker. Someone pointed out to me that I was being unfair to her because we don't have the chance to talk with any of these couples and cannot, therefore, make assumptions. I think you can get the general gist of a conversation, or at least the tone of it, from listening whether or not you speak a particular language. But, he's right. So, I did a little research on educational opportunities for women in Russia, thinking perhaps there was a chance she may not have been encouraged to be a deeper thinker.

Turns out I could be right, but not precisely for the reasons one would expect. Russia isn't the Middle East, after all. But, when women face a huge disparity in chances to gain upper level management plus get paid from 30-40% as much as less well-educated men for the same jobs, it sends a pretty clear message: don't waste your time, you'll never be equal. Obviously there are many Russian women who don't cave to the obstacles, though. They're too obstinate to allow someone to tell them they can't succeed.

I like that.  :clap:  ;)

Obviously there are many Russian women who don't cave to the obstacles, though. They're too obstinate to allow someone to tell them they can't succeed.

Those are the ones that come to the U.S., and take the jobs that the 'I'm better then you' males think that they can't be taken out of.

We were having a discussion about Leora. I posited that she seems rather a shallow thinker. Someone pointed out to me that I was being unfair to her because we don't have the chance to talk with any of these couples and cannot, therefore, make assumptions. I think you can get the general gist of a conversation, or at least the tone of it, from listening whether or not you speak a particular language. But, he's right. So, I did a little research on educational opportunities for women in Russia, thinking perhaps there was a chance she may not have been encouraged to be a deeper thinker.

Turns out I could be right, but not precisely for the reasons one would expect. Russia isn't the Middle East, after all. But, when women face a huge disparity in chances to gain upper level management plus get paid from 30-40% as much as less well-educated men for the same jobs, it sends a pretty clear message: don't waste your time, you'll never be equal. Obviously there are many Russian women who don't cave to the obstacles, though. They're too obstinate to allow someone to tell them they can't succeed.

I like that.  :clap:  ;)

I think you need to do more research, that problem exists in many, many countries, not just Russia.

Despite the fact that Australia did have a woman Prime Minister, women receiving much lower wages in many fields is quite common.