Advise

Guest 862286

Guest 862286

I want to cap some of what i watch but not sure the best way to do so. I've read some of the suggestions in RD but i would like some direction to either solid conversations in RD that will help me set up without to much hassle or advise or knowledge from an experianced user. I want to contribute caps to the site the way others have done for me so suggestions to help me get set up are most welcomed. Thanks

I want to cap some of what i watch but not sure the best way to do so. I've read some of the suggestions in RD but i would like some direction to either solid conversations in RD that will help me set up without to much hassle or advise or knowledge from an experianced user. I want to contribute caps to the site the way others have done for me so suggestions to help me get set up are most welcomed. Thanks

I have recorded and posted a lot of videos here, so maybe I can help.

First of all, I've tried that process that so many suggest...can't remember the name...but I continually had problems of dropped connections.  My take is...it works great when it's working, but it can be a lot of hassle.  The nice thing about it is that you can record more than one screen at a time.

However, because of the connectivity issues I had, I dropped that method.  Instead, I went with Replay Video Capture.  It has a lot of options and records good videos, but it will only record one window at a time.  There are other commercial video capture programs out there that do just as well.

Once you've taken care of that issue, you should find and use a file hosting site.  I use MediaFire.  They have a limit on their file size in the free mode of 200MB, but they don't have any download timers and they don't throttle back their download speed.

So...that's about it.  Select and use a video capture program...select and upload your video to a hosting site...post the link to your video here.  Everyone will be happy.

Oh, wait...there is the issue of what type of video file you record to.  I've had problems with that and I don't have a lot of knowledge about pros and cons of various types, compression rates, frame rates and so on.  I've settled with using wmv.  There are others on this forum who know a whole lot more about that.  I hope they can help you.

Guest 862286

Yes i've seen you around. You give lots to the site. It's because of people like you i want to contribute. So thanks for your postings and for your advise to which i will strongly consider.

I've used RTMP Dump for quite some time. (i think that the method jojo refers to)

And is has had a lot of problems. For periods it has worked fine and from time to time not at all. I had problems ad one time and did many things to solve them but nothing helped. Then suddenly one day it worked fine again.

The Pro's to this method is that:

- it provides the absolut best quallity.

- Another thing that i love is that i can run on a virtual machine. This means that i can make the recording and still do other stuff on my computer.

- Last, i can set et to record multiple streams when i'm off the computer, and then do a recap when i return. My time zone is not matching all couples well.

The Con's

- Some times it looses the connection or just stops working for longer period. (at least when your not an expert)

- Long recordings are often more than the 200 MB limit on Mediafire. A stopped converting my clips but just chopped them to 2 or 3 parts.

This topic, that i started under previous alias, helped me out alot.

Guest 862286

Thanks FN. I'm researching possible free version video cap programs that might work without glitch or restrictions . Although most have limited functions, im hopeful to find one suitable for my needs....

I could buy software but am not willing to invest in something im uncertain my interest will last much longer. In light of the changes RLC seems to be facing and all the bs stuff going on, im giving consideration to let my membership expire and move on.

Either way i thank you for taking the time to help a member with your thoughts and suggestions.  8) 

Hey hot rod, have you seen the tutorial topic on rtmpdump? It's free software and works quite well (since it captures the stream directly there is no loss of quality like with a screen recorder). If you need help getting it set up, let me know.

--

edit: didn't see the previous posts of JoJo and FN :D

But anyway still, let me know if you need help setting it up.

Thanks FN. I'm researching possible free version video cap programs that might work without glitch or restrictions . Although most have limited functions, im hopeful to find one suitable for my needs....

I could buy software but am not willing to invest in something im uncertain my interest will last much longer. In light of the changes RLC seems to be facing and all the bs stuff going on, im giving consideration to let my membership expire and move on.

Either way i thank you for taking the time to help a member with your thoughts and suggestions.  8)

Guest 862286

I may take you up on that offer jimbos thanks. I'm working many hrs so not much time to set up my hm pc till the weekend but i'll be working on it then for sure. I have a couple of programs to try out but based on feed back from members such as yourself, rtmpdump will likely be the way i go. If it works for you guys, it will work for me. Thanks again for the support..

I looked for something easy & free. Hypercam was my first try, but had audio sync problems I couldn't resolve, but others have had no issue.  I'm now using oCam, my only complaint is the annoying overkill crosshairs overlay while it is recording. records to avi file and has 1-click pics.