US General Domestic Politics (2022) #9 Begins 06/15/22

Gallup Poll Finds Belief in God Hits All-Time Low Among Americans
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.daybreakinsid

Axios: The number of Americans who believe in God has dropped to the lowest level in the 78 years Gallup has asked the question, per a poll out Friday. Driving the news: 81% of U.S. adults say they believe in God — down 6 points from 2017. Belief in God dropped the most among young adults, liberals and Democrats, with these groups showing a drop of 10 or more percentage points compared to an average of polls from 2013 to 2017, Gallup found. More than 90% of Americans believed in God between 1944 and 2011. Conservatives and married adults experienced little change in beliefs, and other subgroups, including education level and ages, experienced but a modest decline (Axios). Daily Wire: Those who were married, as well as those without college degrees, were more likely to believe in God than those who were not married or with college degrees (Daily Wire).

Kamala Harris Claims Abortion Does Not Go Against Church Teachings

Townhall: Vice President Kamala Harris argued that people can still support abortion without having to give up their religious beliefs, as the U.S. Supreme Court is potentially set to overturn the landmark Roe v. Wade. Talking to reporters, Harris said that there is no conflict between religious faith and support for the widespread protection over abortion (Townhall). RNC Research: KAMALA HARRIS: “For those of us of faith, I think that we agree…there’s nothing about this issue [of abortion] that will require anyone to abandon their faith” (Twitter). Daily Wire: Catholics, evangelical Protestants, and many Jews believe abortion goes against their faith (Daily Wire). Stephen Mansfield: Lord have mercy. This woman is either ignorant or deeply deceived: “Kamala Harris argues there is no conflict between abortion rights and religious faith” (Twitter).

Planned Parenthood Will Halt Abortions in Wisconsin

ABC: Abortion could suddenly become illegal in Wisconsin so Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin is adding more abortion appointments through June 25. After that, they’re suspending appointments and directing patients to facilities out of state. The reason behind this move is to not disrupt care for those seeking an abortion as the country waits for a decision from the Supreme Court. If that happens, Wisconsin’s 1849 law banning abortion would immediately go into effect. This law bans abortion without any exception for rape or incest. Abortion would only be allowed if the woman’s life is in danger (ABC). This comes on the heels of Planned Parenthood stopping abortions in South Dakota (Life News).

FBI Investigating Terror Attacks on Pregnancy Clinics by Pro-Abortion Radicals

Washington Times: The FBI confirmed Friday it is investigating attacks on pro-life pregnancy centers and churches, episodes of violence and vandalism that surged after the leak of a Supreme Court draft opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade. “The FBI is investigating a series of attacks and threats targeting pregnancy resource centers and faith-based organizations across the country,” the FBI told The Washington Times. “The FBI takes all threats seriously and we continue to work closely with our law enforcement partners and will remain vigilant to protect our communities.” The FBI National Press Office statement followed a full-court press from House and Senate Republicans, pro-life leaders and religious groups urging the Biden administration to take action on violent incidents carried out by shadowy activists and extremist groups such as Jane’s Revenge (Washington Times). Life Site: A list compiled by the pro-life Family Research Council shows that, as of June 16, a whopping 52 pro-abortion attacks have taken place since the leak, including nearly a dozen acts of vandalism against Catholic Churches and nearly 40 against crisis pregnancy centers. Despite the extreme rise in anti-Catholic attacks at the hands of pro-abortion activists, U.S. Speaker of the House and self-described “very Catholic” Nancy Pelosi dodged questions this week about the disturbing trend and instead praised abortion (Life Site).

Democrats Anxious Over Biden’s Inflation Messaging

Townhall: During CNN’s Inside Politics, Capitol Hill reporter Melanie Zanona said that Democrats have been “panicking privately” over President Joe Biden’s inflation messaging for months. When asked about a meeting between Democrats and White House aids, Zanona acknowledged that it didn’t go as planned.  “Not well, to put it mildly, listen, Democrats, they have been panicking privately. They have been saying for months, back in December they started pressing the White House to get a handle on inflation, start talking about this issue,” Zanona told host Abby Philip. Democrats in no surprising way, tried to play the blame game pinning the disastrous issue on someone else rather than themselves. Zanona said Democrats urged Congress to just “blame other people, blame corporate greed, start talking about what we’re doing legislatively to talk about these issues” (Townhall). Fox News: Inflation soared to 8.6% in May, hitting another 40-year high. She said that had been pushing Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi to get bills on the House floor, “even if its just messaging votes,” in an effort to show voters that they’re acting on it (Fox News). National Review: President Biden continues to absolve himself of responsibility for the fact that his gargantuan $1.9 trillion pandemic-relief package likely contributed to the current record-breaking inflation. “You could argue whether [the American Rescue Plan] had a marginal, minor impact on inflation,” Biden told the Associated Press in an interview Thursday. “I don’t think it did. And most economists do not think it did. But the idea that caused inflation is bizarre.” Biden’s comments stand in stark contrast to a speech he gave in November 2021, when he acknowledged that the “checks for $1400” the government distributed to Americans, in addition to many other relief provisions, could pump up inflation (National Review).

Biden’s Economic Advisor: Recession is Not Inevitable

National Review: National Economic Council director Brian Deese on Sunday claimed that a recession is “not inevitable,” despite a recent poll that found more than 60 percent of CEOs around the world are expecting a recession before the end of 2023. Deese’s comments on CBS’s Face the Nation echoed President Biden’s assertion on Thursday that a recession is “not inevitable.” “Not only is a recession not inevitable, but I think that a lot of people are underestimating those strengths and the resilience of the American economy,” Deese said, referring to strengths including increased household savings and low proportions of people missing payments on mortgages and credit cards. Economic analysts predict a recession may be imminent given that the Federal Reserve has started to reverse its accommodative monetary policy. The Fed announced last week it would hike its benchmark interest rate by 0.75 percent, marking the largest singular increase since 1994 (National Review). RNC Research: Former Obama economic advisor Larry Summers: “My best guess is that a recession is ahead” (Twitter).

Pro-Abortion Protests Reach Justice Amy Coney Barrett’s Home in Virginia

Townhall: Pro-abortion protests have been popping up all over the country, disrupting Catholic churches, doctor offices and pro-life centers all in hopes of keeping their “right” to kill an innocent baby before it even gets a chance at life. In the latest event, pro-choice protestors gathered outside of Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett’s home in Virginia holding signs that read “Abortion on demand and without apology,” while also having baby dolls taped to their wrists. The group, Rise Up 4 Abortion Rights, were dressed in white clothing with what appears to be fake blood soaked onto the pants between the women’s legs, which they said represented an increase in the number of forced births that would take place if Roe v. Wade was overturned (Townhall). New York Post: The Supreme Court is set to announce whether it will overturn the landmark abortion case as soon as this week. A majority of Americans believes it’s wrong to protest outside the homes of Supreme Court justices, according to a Fox News poll. The group includes a majority of Republicans, while 58% of Democrats say they see nothing wrong with the demonstrations (New York Post).

Alex Epstein on Eliminating Fossil Fuels: “There’s no scalable way to replace gasoline cars with EVs”

Dennis Prager talks with energy expert Alex Epstein about the feasibility of going green

Published: June 17, 2022  |  Date of Source Audio: May 26, 2022
Transcribed and modified for publication from the original audio program

Dennis Prager: I think the best thinker on the fossil fuel issue is Alex Epstein. … His latest book out this week is “Fossil Future: Why Global Human Flourishing Requires More Oil, Coal, and Natural Gas – Not Less.” … I just read a report in a left-wing source that it’s going to be so long before we can actually transition to what is called a green energy world. Are you familiar with this latest report saying that?

Alex Epstein: So, you know, there is a big U.N. person recently who had said something to that effect. But what’s basically happened is there’s been this mythology, there’s sort of two ideas behind “we should rapidly eliminate fossil fuels.” One is they’re causing this climate catastrophe that will become an apocalypse. Number two is that they’re rapidly replaceable by so-called renewables, mainly solar and wind. And what we’ve seen is all these countries have invested huge amounts in these renewables, they’ve given them huge favoritism and they’ve restricted fossil fuel investment production and transportation on the lie that these unreliable renewables would replace them. And it’s failed. And so now we’re short of fossil fuels and we have a global energy crisis. And so, the idea that, “oh, now it’s going to work to rapidly replace them”? Even delusional people are not as deluded anymore.

Dennis Prager: Really? That’s happy to hear. … GM announced that by 2030, it will not be producing anything except electric cars. A: Do you believe that’s true? B: Why are they doing it?

Alex Epstein: I doubt it’s true. I mean, of course Tesla only produces battery cars, so it’s possible to be such a manufacturer. I mean, I think the basic thing that people don’t get is that there’s no scalable way to replace gasoline cars with EVs. And so, you can have some minority of people doing it, but if everyone tries to do it, you’re going to run into massive shortages of all the raw materials. We’re already having skyrocketing lithium prices at a tiny scale of EVs. So why are they doing this? I think a combination of status, trying to anticipate future government mandates. And I think they probably haven’t thought through the scalability issues. I doubt Mary Barra, who runs GM, has fully thought through these issues.

“We’re already seeing with a modest amount of scaling that the cost is going sky high.”

Dennis Prager: What does “a scalability issue” mean?

Alex Epstein: So, “scalability issue” means how do you produce something at a given price or a lower price on a much larger scale. And one thing that all of these green things have in common is they involve many multiples times more basic elements than we’re using today. So, lithium is an example where people are talking about, we need a hundred, a thousand times more lithium. We never have that kind of scaling and keeping the cost low. And we’re already seeing with a modest amount of scaling that the cost is going sky high. So, whenever you impose a very artificial crash timetable on the market, you get these drastic price increases, which these people are not factoring in.

Dennis Prager: So, I’m going to ask you another question related to the electric car. It might be just a very simplistic, not just simple question, but I don’t care. I don’t know the answer. So, I’m asking you, since we’re already experiencing — you and I both live in California — we’re already experiencing brownouts almost every summer where simply the electricity dies for a certain number of hours in one of the most advanced democracies in the history of the world and one of the richest, and this is happening as well in Germany. So where is all the electricity going to come from to power all these cars?

Alex Epstein: It’s, unfortunately, not a dumb question or a naive question. It’s a question that people haven’t really thought through. And one of my big points in “Fossil Future” is this idea that we’re going to rapidly replace fossil fuels is not a really thought-through idea by people with a real plan. Otherwise, they would just compete on the market and perform. It’s by people with a deep hostility toward energy — not just fossil fuels, but also nuclear and hydro who are just looking for a rationalization. So, they say, yeah, okay, we’ll build solar, wind, don’t worry about us getting rid of fossil fuels, don’t worry about shutting down the pipeline, don’t worry about banning leasing on federal lands because we have this magical solution. And then you look at the details and it’s like, you haven’t thought this through at all because you’re already making electricity more expensive, more scarce, less reliable, and then you’re massively going to increase the demand based on EVs. So, there’s no real thinking going on here. It’s just rationalizing an agenda of eliminating our mainstream energy use, which is really, I argue, about eliminating human impact on earth.

Dennis Prager: Why do you argue that? I know that’s a big theme of yours, so elaborate.

Alex Epstein: So, the easy thing to think is that the anti-fossil fuel movement is just really focused on CO2 emissions. And they’re just so concerned that our rising CO2 levels that we’ve caused by our CO2 emissions from fossil fuels that that’s making the world a bad place. But we see, wait a second — they also oppose nuclear, which is the most promising and proven alternative to fossil fuels. They oppose hydro, which is the next one after that. And then with solar wind and batteries, they oppose mining, which needs to be scaled up massively. And they oppose massive amounts of development, which are needed for transmission lines and for building the things.

And so, what you see is the common denominator in this anti-fossil fuel movement is not a concern about fossil fuels. It’s a hostility toward all forms of energy because all forms of energy involve impacting nature. And the core thing I say about this in “Fossil Futures”: The goal that’s animating the green movement and, in diluted form, much of the population is not advancing human flourishing on earth, but eliminating human impact on earth.