apparent virus

heimdal

Apparently got a virus from a download on the site I think the file was called video_hd.zip and had Trojan.ransom file as the virus. It is a ransom ware where it locks up desktop and then demands money if activated. It had to be very recent as in today or last few days since wasn't caught before and this is only place I downloaded any video files from. It mainly targets European locations leading me to believe even more it was from this site.

I had a similar problem a few months ago and here is how I solved it: (Took me three days - I'm kinda' slow minded I guess)

I tried all the usual solutions such as cleaning the registry, virus scans, using Acronis clean the hard drive ect.  No dice - didn't work.

Finally I opened it in "Safe Mode" and went to the Windows 7 reset point and reset it for a month earlier. Worth a try.

Bingo - it worked.

Interestingly I have very good protection and it wormed its way in anyway.

I have a friend - my "father confessor" of computers and this is what he told me:

"Your are lucky" He said sopmetimes this even goes and imbeds itself in the start up Boot menu and even if you strip and re-install Windows it recurs.

IF that happens you will need to find a clean boot menu to get it working again.

Try the reset point in safe mode first.

He told me he had never seen this Malware occur while using Google Chrome.

Cas

Virus scan cleaned it off easy enough but if it activates it replaces the explorer.exe with itself and moves the actual file and renames it. It really must come from this site since I downloaded the same file twice a (1) version and this is the only site I do that by accident.

Guest 862286

Apparently got a virus from a download on the site I think the file was called video_hd.zip and had Trojan.ransom file as the virus. It is a ransom ware where it locks up desktop and then demands money if activated. It had to be very recent as in today or last few days since wasn't caught before and this is only place I downloaded any video files from. It mainly targets European locations leading me to believe even more it was from this site.

It's not just European locations. Canada also. Here's some info on how to deal with this problem. Ransom ware is something you will see lot's more of in the future.

http://forums.anvisoft.com/viewtopic-45-3817-0.html

Do you think all these posts about viewing vids is safe? Just concerned in view of your various posts about viruses? Or am I being unduly cautious?

Well downloads have file extensions in the name.  Never download an .exe, just avoid zip files to play it safe.

stick to mediafire downloads that show the extension as the filename, most likely .flv .wmp or something.

Also, never used Internet Explorer and ALWAYS have Adblock Plus addon (Firefox best).  Enable Windows Defender and keep MalwareBytes up to date, that way in case something happens, you can go to Safe Mode and remove it properly. 

Has anyone tried that  "  free watching  " post of gzerot0  .  I looked at his site and it says you have to open zipped folders and other crap that scares me  .... I have opened 1 zipped folder in the past 15 yrs  and it was a virus .