Man's best friend!

HarleyFatboy

I had to have my best friend of 16 years put to sleep today :sad:   It's funny how attached we can get to animals and how well they know everything you say and do.  It was literally one of the hardest things I've ever had to do!   I cried like a baby when I had to finally say goodbye to one of the best friends a man could ever have!!   She was a Beagle and one of the most loyal companions a person could ever ask for.   She loved everybody that she ever met and that includes all kinds of different dogs as well.   When I would take her to the dog park, she had no problems making friends with any of the dogs......she loved life!!   I will miss her more than words could describe.    I loved you Bailey girl and now you are in doggy heaven.....enjoy, you will be missed!!

Sorry folks.....I owed it to her!!

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, HarleyFatboy said:

I had to have my best friend of 16 years put to sleep today :sad:   It's funny how attached we can get to animals and how well they know everything you say and do.  It was literally one of the hardest things I've ever had to do!   I cried like a baby when I had to finally say goodbye to one of the best friends a man could ever have!!   She was a Beagle and one of the most loyal companions a person could ever ask for.   She loved everybody that she ever met and that includes all kinds of different dogs as well.   When I would take her to the dog park, she had no problems making friends with any of the dogs......she loved life!!   I will miss her more than words could describe.    I loved you Bailey girl and now you are in doggy heaven.....enjoy, you will be missed!!

I understand entirely Harley. Pets quickly become part of those of us that see a soul in their eyes. There are too many times one see's that soul to deny it exists. Stay strong.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HarleyFatboy said:

I am sorry to hear that I know exactly how you feel do me a favor get another dog , it helps you , I been there 

3 minutes ago, Nick said:

I am sorry to hear that I know exactly how you feel do me a favor get another dog , it helps you , I been there 

Thanks man, I appreciate it and tomorrow after my son and I bury her, I'm going to get him to help me look for another one.  She would want that!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HarleyFatboy said:

Hey man ... all bitching aside ......  your Dog is your Dog  - and it doesn't care about any faults - and accepts you for what you are and that says it all.   I truly am sorry. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, albacore said:

Hey man ... all bitching aside ......  your Dog is your Dog  - and it doesn't care about any faults - and accepts you for what you are and that says it all.   I truly am sorry. 

Thanks man....much appreciated!

HF. I understand completely. We have a 15yo Spitz/Border Collie female, Graziella, who lost her brother, Ottie, to cancer about 5 years ago and then her best friend Tremolo, a Rat Terrier/Chihuahua mix about 6 months later - to a pluot (plum-apricot) pit that got lodged in her small intestine. They were awesome puppies who loved playing chase throughout the house, over laps and sleeping guests...etc, whatever was in the way. I had to put Ottie (the brother) down and the worst part is I think he knew why we were at the Veteranarian's place and had bravely accepted it. I stayed with him to the end. Now it's getting close to Graziella's time. I don't think we will replace them for the same reason I would not remarry if I lost my wife.

I've spent half my life on a ranch and had to put down many animals and pets but these were the ones that mattered. It's funny that we remember things about them that made us laugh and cry. For instance, Ottie was deaf as a doornail but his ears stood up as straight as his posture and was very attentive to his sister and friend. When he spoke to you, which was alot, he sounded just like a deaf person trying to create a sound they had never heard. We would laugh so hard but then Tremolo would come and stand in front of Ottie and scold us.

22 minutes ago, ww_watcher said:

HF. I understand completely. We have a 15yo Spitz/Border Collie female, Graziella, who lost her brother, Ottie, to cancer about 5 years ago and then her best friend Tremolo, a Rat Terrier/Chihuahua mix about 6 months later - to a pluot (plum-apricot) pit that got lodged in her small intestine. They were awesome puppies who loved playing chase throughout the house, over laps and sleeping guests...etc, whatever was in the way. I had to put Ottie (the brother) down and the worst part is I think he knew why we were at the Veteranarian's place and had bravely accepted it. I stayed with him to the end. Now it's getting close to Graziella's time. I don't think we will replace them for the same reason I would not remarry if I lost my wife.

I've spent half my life on a ranch and had to put down many animals and pets but these were the ones that mattered. It's funny that we remember things about them that made us laugh and cry. For instance, Ottie was deaf as a doornail but his ears stood up as straight as his posture and was very attentive to his sister and friend. When he spoke to you, which was alot, he sounded just like a deaf person trying to create a sound they had never heard. We would laugh so hard but then Tremolo would come and stand in front of Ottie and scold us.

WW,  they are special friends in our lives and I know it will be hard to say goodbye to Graziella when the time has come, best of luck to you in that!  All the memories shared with them and all the trust gained by them through us, it's a special bond words can not describe.   Just like Ottie & best friend Tremollo had a special friendship, we as owners also develop that special friendship with our pets and it's tough when the end of that special friendship comes......it's a hard pill to swallow!

I am currently waiting on my son to pick me up so we can drive to my place in the country, to put Bailey in her final resting place.  It will be a very emotional day for us no doubt!  I will not be able to not replace her and I'm sorry if that sounds bad or wrong but I will need another dog like her to keep my spirits up and to gain that trust and love from me!  Everybody handles these situations differently but I know for myself that not hearing the pitter patter of those paws coming across the hardwood floors when I return home from somewhere that she was not able to go, or to see her turn her head in disbelief when I stumped my toe and let out an awe shit.....almost like her saying to put a dollar in the swear jar lol.   I selfishly need those moments with another best friend.   Wish us luck, today will be tough!!