METAMORPHOSIS?

Guest Chatterbox

Y'all can speak solely for yourselves. I can do anything now that I did 20 years ago and in a lot of cases better now.

But you need to explain this scotch stuff to me. I never heard of a single-malt until I was on this board. I've glanced at the bottles and none indicate single/double/trip whatever on them. Only aged in years.

Guest Squirrel

I shall explain this Scotch thing to you.

To you, the quality and brand of your Vodka is extremely important.

Most of us non-Vodka people have NO idea what you are tasting.

Scotch Whiskey is a complex subject. Understand that technically it:

1) must be produced in Scotland.

2) The production of a Single Malt Scotch must be controlled and distilled by the same distillery. It can't be a hodge-podge of various suppliers, malters, distillers, etc., or then it becomes a blended.

3) There's nothing wrong with blended. I'm an American. I'll drink anything if booze is involved. I just don't like the sweetness of bourbon whiskey.

4) Scotland's whiskey producers stake their reputation and branding on the quality and flavors of their product. They will age their Single malt whiskeys with appropriate time-lines, and release them when they're damn good and ready. The result is a magnificent diversity of flavor.

5) It's a fucking art. It's expensive as hell.

6) It's like loving and restoring old Cads. Same thing.

Okay. I can go with that. The vodkas have their same followers. Some are good on the rocks while others are horrible without a mixer. It depends on the filtration of it and whether its grain vodka or cheap home brewed potato vodka.

The low end stuff will really give you a headache if you consume too much. I've taken to the Swedish brand, Svedka over the last 6-7 years. It still comes in a glass bottle, which to me makes a big difference in taste. Smirnoff comes in plastic and it's become a rotgut flavor. Kettle One is good, a bit pricy, Stoly is way over rated as is one other that's in the same price range, I forget the name now.

Gray Goose has to be the best to me. It's smooth and doesn't take your tongue off. But it sucks to mix with. It's good straight up or on the rocks. I use grapefruit juice, Ruby Red, right off the tree in the back yard. Anyone that uses anything that contains processed sugar such as any soda/pop/whatever you call it is begging for a nasty hangover.

Guest Squirrel

Believe me; I understand what you are saying. Good Scotch does not result in a hangover, either.

I grew up with 6 grapefruit trees; I've now got a Mandarin orange and that works just fine for my needs.

But as far as mixed drinks with vodka are concerned, I prefer Bloody Marys. They're healthy, nutritious: loaded with every thing you need to start your morning.

Smirnoff still comes in glass bottles here, and Stoly is in the same price range...

As long as the filtration process has been adequate, most are good.

Where the hell are you that Smirnoff and Stoly are in the same price range?

You get a 1.75 of Smirnoff for about $17.00 here and a 1.75 of Stoly is near $30.

It's no wonder everyone drinks beer there. You bloody well can't afford spirits.

By 1.75 I mean a 1.75 litre bottle. I wasn't sure if you knew that they sell them packaged that way in the U.S. It's another way that they try and confuse the masses