Does anyone know?

TBG 150

Where did the term 'fap' come from? For the longest time I would read stories or posts and the word came up. I thought to myself, 'what the hell does this mean'?

Great, it's quicker than typing out masturbate, but fap? It sounds so childish. My favorite term was always 'Spank'.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Squirrel

"Fap," along with "Spanking your monkey" is most likely of British English or Australian English origin. Perhaps it migrated to North America most through the Internet, and became an alternative replacement for the North American English term "Jacking off." It certainly takes less key strokes to communicate the concept of masturbation.

Unfortunately, the Urban Dictionary does not explain the etymology of word derivation, and the Online Etymology Dictionary does not explain a specific area of origin.

But no, it was not used in my part of North America until very recently. But then, hey, Frostbite Falls is a bit behind in the culture wars...

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=fap&searchmode=none

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fap

Guest Squirrel

I'd like to state as an Australian I had never heard the terms until late in life thanks to the internet.

We have a number of terms for it already.

"Fap" sounds more English to me ....

Therefore, the likely culprit is those snobbish Brits --just too proud to simply jack off.  ;D

Guest bulgachica

I'd like to state as an Australian I had never heard the terms until late in life thanks to the internet.

We have a number of terms for it already.

"Fap" sounds more English to me ....

Therefore, the likely culprit is those snobbish Brits --just too proud to simply jack off.  ;D

We in English employ one of the lower classes to do such things for us.

Guest Squirrel

We in English employ one of the lower classes to do such things for us.

We the Americans elect them to public office.