Ukraine/Russia crisis - no one cares?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We love the country and the people, just hate the political system they are stuck with.

They have had the same Political System for many years and it likely won't change anytime soon.

Still a bunch of Communists.

"We love the country and the people, just hate the political system they are stuck with."  Very interesting because that's the way I feel about where I live.  Must be spreading world wide.

"We love the country and the people, just hate the political system they are stuck with."  Very interesting because that's the way I feel about where I live.  Must be spreading world wide.

Come to Canada.  You'll be FREE.

Forgot to ask.  Wasn't Ukraine once Russia?  I think some viking dude named Rurik was asked to rule over that area which was the beginning of the modern Russian nation. I think he lived in Novgorod? I remember on a map that whole area that became Russia included the area that is now Ukraine?

Who said Kiko was waiting for the draft? StnCld316?  so funny I'm still laughing.....

Forgot to ask.  Wasn't Ukraine once Russia?  I think some viking dude named Rurik was asked to rule over that area which was the beginning of the modern Russian nation. I think he lived in Novgorod? I remember on a map that whole area that became Russia included the area that is now Ukraine?

Who said Kiko was waiting for the draft? StnCld316?  so funny I'm still laughing.....

I was just joking around like I usually do.

Guest Squirrel

Come to Canada.  You'll be FREE.

And frozen.

Guest Squirrel

Forgot to ask.  Wasn't Ukraine once Russia?

Ukraine has always been a buffer state between multiple warring nations; hence, it's always been a war zone, going back thousands of years. It's a nice piece of real-estate, but the location sucks. The Wikipedia article is fairly comprehensive...

Oh boy! "some viking dude"? LOL He was prince Rurikovitch of Novgorod. In fact it was a whole dynasty by that name. Buuuuut..., Novgorod was never a part of Ukraine. It's one of the oldest cities of Ancient Slavic area, which later became Russia. As a matter of fact Ukraine was formed much much later and never had any princes

Guest Squirrel

Actually, Ukraine is like Poland: it's an amorphous country with continually changing borders throughout history, influenced by many cultures. But there has been a culture there for centuries and they just don't give up. It has been invaded, sectionalized, and beat to death (most recently by Stalin, who killed at least 10 million during this "collectivation" democide) and Hitler, but it still remains. It's a very complex situation. The Mongols, Ottoman Empire, various Principates, etc., have tried to control it. Like I said, it's in a high-traffic area. It has wheat, and it has Gazprom lines going through it.

It's an Old Dude subject, because it ultimately affects the ancestry and lives of virtually all of our RLC people, with the exception of A&S and I&M. (Spain's kinda out of it...give Spain 10 points.)

The EU and Russia and Western Ukraine have a stake in the action. The US could, but, hey, our government is playing marbles while Putin plays chess...