Clothes on Clothes off #23

SPYING 1

12 hours ago, nagachilli2 said:

'butter wouldn't melt in their mouth' sort of girls

I've often pondered over that phrase, and it didn't make much sense to me, considering how it was used (not here). Logically thinking, if someone's mouth is so cold that it wouldn't melt butter, that would mean they're a pretty cold person. So, I finally looked it up. This is what Merriam-Webster says.

Definition of butter wouldn't melt in someone's mouth
chiefly British

used to say that a person who appears to be innocent, sincere, or kind is really not

Is that what you meant? Some of the other instances where I've seen it used gave the impression that it meant the opposite of what M-W says.
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, letsdothis said:

I've often pondered over that phrase, and it didn't make much sense to me, considering how it was used (not here). Logically thinking, if someone's mouth is so cold that it wouldn't melt butter, that would mean they're a pretty cold person. So, I finally looked it up. This is what Merriam-Webster says.

Definition of butter wouldn't melt in someone's mouth
chiefly British

used to say that a person who appears to be innocent, sincere, or kind is really not

Is that what you meant? Some of the other instances where I've seen it used gave the impression that it meant the opposite of what M-W says.

Yes, that's what I meant Lets...The saying is used often here in UK...
I say that about Ted, my little cockapoo, to other unsuspecting dogwalkers...He looks as cute as anything but he can be a bit feisty sometimes with other dogs, catching their owners by surprise...

• Haha 1