How live can these cams be really

cacjc

How live can these cams be really?

Everytime a cam stops because someone has made a sudden movement

they just continue on from where they left off

EG;i was watching the guest in Zoya's appartment walking in the room

the cam paused like they alway's do on RLC for about 10 seconds

when it got going again it just started where it left off

I have seen this but only in Zoya's apartment and always attributed it to my slow internet connection.

In other apartments when it freezes with someone moving in front of the camera when it resumes the person magically disappears or is on the othe rside of the room.

The freeze and then continue from where the freeze happened only seems to be in Zoya's apartment and it had me wondering the same thing!

It must be buffering.

Think of it as the reverse process of when you click on a HD youtube video. If your connection is slow then the video will need to load the data (buffer) by a certain amount before it starts moving.  On the cam side, if someone is still or moving slightly then that stream has not much data to read process and send out. Then if someone for example gets up and moves across the room, suddenly there is a lot of picture information to change so stream pauses whilst the buffer catches up.  It'll then jump ahead again at some other quiet time in order to go back to a fully live stream.

An example would be Carla when she's on camera 2 - this cam suffers the most from it in my experience.  The sofa is quite far away from the cam, so when she's sat down diddling herself, only her hand is moving whilst the rest of the picture is static.  So not much information to process and send - only her hand moving and general small body movements.  When she stands up to go to the TV, suddenly her body will fill almost the whole screen, meaning that now the whole picture will need to be updated at whatever the refresh rate is - probably 15-20 times per second. It looks like RLC's hardware is dated and cannot do the calculations fast enough to provide a flicker-free stream.

Of course, even taking this into account, there is no proof that the stream is actually 100% live. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was delayed by some minutes - that way if a tenant suddenly went on an axe-killing spree they would be able to shut the cams off before we saw them.  But they didn't do that when that guy was beating the girl in Z&L's apartment so who knows.

When Leora was watching the world cup soccer I too was watching the same game and no lag between what I was seeing and what she was seeing.

So not sure they delay the stream.

But thanks for your in depth description of how and or what could be causing this effect.

I live by the rule of learning something new every day before I can go and sleep and Maturin you have taught me something new and it is only the morning here so I'm off to bed now Cheers.

;D ;D ;D

When Leora was watching the world cup soccer I too was watching the same game and no lag between what I was seeing and what she was seeing.

So not sure they delay the stream.

But thanks for your in depth description of how and or what could be causing this effect.

I live by the rule of learning something new every day before I can go and sleep and Maturin you have taught me something new and it is only the morning here so I'm off to bed now Cheers.

;D ;D ;D

Haha! That made me chuckle! You're welcome!

I have seen this but only in Zoya's apartment and always attributed it to my slow internet connection.

In other apartments when it freezes with someone moving in front of the camera when it resumes the person magically disappears or is on the othe rside of the room.

The freeze and then continue from where the freeze happened only seems to be in Zoya's apartment and it had me wondering the same thing!

You still chugging along with the 56kbps Dial Up Modem.  LOL

It must be buffering.

Think of it as the reverse process of when you click on a HD youtube video. If your connection is slow then the video will need to load the data (buffer) by a certain amount before it starts moving.  On the cam side, if someone is still or moving slightly then that stream has not much data to read process and send out. Then if someone for example gets up and moves across the room, suddenly there is a lot of picture information to change so stream pauses whilst the buffer catches up.  It'll then jump ahead again at some other quiet time in order to go back to a fully live stream.

An example would be Carla when she's on camera 2 - this cam suffers the most from it in my experience.  The sofa is quite far away from the cam, so when she's sat down diddling herself, only her hand is moving whilst the rest of the picture is static.  So not much information to process and send - only her hand moving and general small body movements.  When she stands up to go to the TV, suddenly her body will fill almost the whole screen, meaning that now the whole picture will need to be updated at whatever the refresh rate is - probably 15-20 times per second. It looks like RLC's hardware is dated and cannot do the calculations fast enough to provide a flicker-free stream.

Of course, even taking this into account, there is no proof that the stream is actually 100% live. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was delayed by some minutes - that way if a tenant suddenly went on an axe-killing spree they would be able to shut the cams off before we saw them.  But they didn't do that when that guy was beating the girl in Z&L's apartment so who knows.

I am away from the wi-fi modem so it could be my connection

I will try a booster on the modem to try and get a stronger signal

thanks Maturin

How far away are you? Or are the walls in your place solid concrete. I have a little $40 NetGear modem and at 100 feet I'm still good. Across the street and it may get choppy. Otherwise, I get a fairly good signal from my next door neighbor's house.

I am away from the wi-fi modem so it could be my connection

I will try a booster on the modem to try and get a stronger signal

thanks Maturin

No sorry, seems like I used a lot of words but didn't explain myself well enough!

Unfortunately it's not a problem on our side as viewers - it's the hardware in the apartment that is causing the issue as it is being recorded then streamed. There's nothing we can do about it I'm afraid except write to RLC to get them to update their equipment - which we all know is unlikely they would do.

Do try to keep your computer as close to the wifi router as possible though but as you've seen, everyone has this issue so it's definitely not your equipment!

How far away are you? Or are the walls in your place solid concrete. I have a little $40 NetGear modem and at 100 feet I'm still good. Across the street and it may get choppy. Otherwise, I get a fairly good signal from my next door neighbor's house.

When I check my connection out of 5 bars I'm normally 2 or 3