Thoughts for the day Split #3

TxFeller, in 1976 when the three American soldiers were hacked to death by the North Koreans while they were clearing the brush away from a sightline of an observation post on the DMZ. I was sent from tech school in Colorado to Osan AFB to guard the flight line. Even though the 39th parallel was several hundred miles north, I always felt like I was sitting in someone's crosshairs. I never understood why the military would "beautify" a place making it a well marked target. Camouflaged trucks, camoflaged uniforms and a nicely painted path connecting them.

Guest TxFeller

ww_watcher... that is the reason we were stationed alongside that airstrip. It was designated K-6, I believe. There was a U.S. Army lieutenant killed along with 2 S. Korean soldiers. They were trying to chop down a tree blocking the line of sight from the southern guardshack to the northern guardshack. There had been several complaints lodged prior to that day, evidently, and the butter-bar lieutenant got impatient. Then dead. The axe they were trying to cut the tree down with became their murder instrument.

Yes, that is what I remember. They emptied all the non military personel (house-boys and maids) from the base the day before I got there and restricted us to the base. It was very tense. I was glad there was an Army presence present. My Taekwon Do master was born in North Korea two decades before the conflict started and grew up in Seoul where he became a doctor and eventually a flight surgeon for the USAF where I met him; in Houston, Tx. My wife was born in the Samchung province just north of Seoul. I didn't meet her until 1986 though. She been in the states for 7 years before this happened.

Guest TxFeller

Abso-friggin-lutely.

The Greatest 4 Mins in TV History - In my humble opinion.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0Auh0poRE2EVWcya1ZOa2hPWVU

It's a damned shame The Newsroom was cancelled. I saw every show, more than once.

Edit: There was more truth delivered about this country in those 4 minutes than in the past 50 years in any other venue across the nation combined. Thank you so much, Joeybaggs, for giving us that reminder.

I wish, as did the star of that show, we could return to such a time as he described near the end. It is the same nation Merle Haggard spoke of in "Okie From Muskogee", a nation with real honor and dignity that wasn't fake, puffed up. It was a nation of neighbors, whether that was rural or urban. We could, and would, take on any truly righteous cause and, if need be, fight to the last man.

I've been fortunate to have lived a portion of my life in the country he and I long for. It's a sin that people like Rove and Norquist have made concerted efforts to drive this nation into the ground. The opposite side is not innocent, either.

On that side are people who don't want our kids to know what it feels like to lose, to know the pain of falling short of perfection, a fact to which those same kids will awaken one day with a resounding shock. They're not supposed to know they don't measure up to actually being good enough to graduate from our PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM in the 70s and before. We've dumbed down our schools to the point of being a nation so mediocre that it is hardly recognizable from the days before political correctness. In those days, when you didn't get good enough grades, you stayed behind because you weren't good enough, yet, to go forward, BUT, we damned sure didn't hold back every other kid who could, and WOULD, learn because of the one who didn't or couldn't. It doesn't mean we gave up on a kid that failed a grade, but, we didn't pass the kid until he measured up and we encouraged the brightest ones to achieve even more.

Back then, WE KEPT SCORE, not only in our sports, but also in our world endeavors. Yes, we failed oftentimes to do the exactly correct thing, but it was never from a lack of having our hearts in the right place.

At least, that's how we saw ourselves.

Of course, we didn't know about covert operations taking place working, unintentionally, to destroy our national reputation in the world. We didn't know the lies that were coming from Washington for decades, hiding actions taken in our name, with our supposed best interests at heart, but driving a stake through that heart, just the same.

Where is the striving for actual excellence we were once known for the world over? When did parents start raising kids that wouldn't be grown up yet even in their 50s due to having been so insanely sheltered from reality?

How did we fall so far from being the neighbors we once were, from one end of the nation to the other? How did the divides get so treacherous and incapable of being spanned? Who among us is going to be the one that dares to hold out a hand, a hand of hope and friendship? Who will inspire us to reach higher, not lower, and reclaim that which has been lost for so long? Who is willing to give truth a chance and make the changes that need to come to right this floundered ship of state? "Who" will never be enough. It will take generations of "whos" committed to reclaiming greatness.

We have to stop drinking the Kool-Aid of hate and divisiveness or we will never see even a glimmer of such greatness ever again.

Guest TxFeller

Ozi, who is this CNS? Never heard of them. Would it be a bad guess to believe the C stands for CONSERVATIVE?

I can't totally disagree with Brigitte. It's very much akin to the saying about good men standing idly by while seeing bad things taking place. It makes the good men appear not so good as they thought.

However, the Heritage Foundation lost all credibility when they disavowed being the ones to first insist that any healthcare system that is going to work and survive must necessarily include the individual mandate.

From my perspective, the healthcare system, by the inclusion of insurance companies in the process, will always be a failure. Until pure profit motive is eliminated from the equation, healthcare will be a problem waiting to be solved. If we hadn't had so many political cowards in Congress, we could have had single payor, finally addressing the problem from the correct end -- health providers jacking up costs to insane levels. Going after the problem by making health insurance, rather than healthCARE, affordable was the wrong way of thinking. That's no different from trying to force Bestbuy to sell TVs below their cost. Bestbuy has to make a profit, too, or go out of business, therefore costs rise. When you want the best deal, you eliminate the guy in the middle so you get to negotiate with the actual maker. Healthcare providers make their prices so high because insurance companies rarely will give them the entire price for whatever they're charged for. The provider actually gets the price they want by shooting for a price that's way over their target. That same unnecessarily sky-high price is the one uninsured patients are charged.

Guest Joeybaggs

This is actually the best 4 mins and it's not a movie script.

Ozi, it may be a script, but its based on facts! Good video, except for the poor girl who asked the question.

Ozi, it may be a script, but its based on facts! Good video, except for the poor girl who asked the question.

Will McAvoy is a fictitious character. Some of the statistics stated may be facts, but the rest is just an opinion put together by a bunch of writers, the scene isn't based on fact. Show me someone who actually said that stuff.  You should check out "The Newsrooms Wiki" According to the storyline, recordings of the tirade spread across the internet and McAvoy's public profile is severely damaged. The writers wrote it as a negative not a positive according to the public's perceptions. So much for the concept of the greatest 4 mins of television.

Brigitte Gabriel is a real person, quoting some facts and stating her opinion. It wasn't based on anything, it actually happened.

capitalism.jpg

The only reason it has come true under capitalism is because of political policies, inflation, and people thinking that the rich owe them something.  I grew up knowing and learning I had to work my ass off for everything.  I started working at the age of 10 for 6 bucks an hour digging corn stalks and weeds out of soybean fields. I started working on a roofing crew at the age of 12 for 7 dollars an hour.  By 14 I was working on a farm for 8 dollars an hour from sun up to sun down.  Now I am a member of the National Guard and manage a hog operation for one of the largest producers in the world.  People today think they need $15/hr for flipping burgers and stocking shelves.  That makes the price of everything else go up. With I having to pay for some persons healthcare and bills because they are to lazy to find a fucking job, this is why I am broke.  My bonus for the last fiscal year was 1800 dollars I manage 64 million dollars worth of hog inventory, the mighty government took 1/3 of it.  These taxes go to pay for stupid people's welfare in the majority.  Dare I say it Unions had their usefulness to get work conditions up to par, but now they fight for 50 dollars an hour to stand on an assembly line and receive a life time pension.  REALLY? This is why a car that used to cost $3000 dollars is now selling for $40,000 dollars.  You wits blame capitalism?  Capitalism brought you everything you use today, from your computers and phones, to your car, to your damn food that you buy at the grocery store. Would you rather the Govrn't give you your food ration?  Maybe you would like them to tell you what you have to do for a living.

It's not capitalism that is ending our society as we know it, it is people that are doing it.  People who can't keep their legs closed and have 6 kids with 6 different guys and expect us to pay for them.  It is people who are to lazy to find a job because what is available is below them.  It is people who think they need to make more than I do, because they flip a fucking burger.  I have worked the majority of my life knowing the harder I work, the more I make.  Kids today think they deserve to make everything before they even prove themselves.. I know the Owner's of the company I work for make high 6 figure and maybe even 7 figures. Do I care? Hell No.  They took my company from a small family farm to the largest Independent Hog producer in North America. They work their asses off to make sure I still have my job.  Are all companies like this? No. But, CEO's have to work their asses off managing people and their business to make sure all of us still have jobs.  If they don't produce, then their product whatever it is doesn't get sold we lose our jobs then they lose theirs.  What good does that do them?  The top 1% of earners pay 75% of what the Govn't collects in taxes. Sure I might pay a shit ton in taxes, but guess what my CEO pays more money than I do. 

My neighbor lost his farm the other day, do you know why?  He bought more than what he could afford.  simple as that.  You buy something you can't afford you lose it.  That's because of meager wages right?  Tell our liberal gov't to stop printing money and inflation wouldn't skyrocket and your dollar would be worth more.