Current Events in the News (commentary) Split #2

You do know that Greece is the first stop on their transit through Europe and that the EU is provding monetary aid to transit countries right?

I mean I was making a joke, but it did open the can marked "Immigration", better go grab my bullshit brolly.

I'm just following the same line of logic. Apparently, refugees and asylum seekers are a commodity everybody must want  because of "the net gain a nation receives from immigrants". Greece as the distribution centre must be making a fortune from the EU.

One of the concepts people need to grasp is there is a massive difference between a controlled, selective immigration policy and a mass surge of illegal immigrants and asylum seekers. If it's such a net gain for countries like the UK, why, like everybody else, do they spend millions protecting their borders.

Australia has a controlled, selective immigration policy, which means you don't bring in more people with mining industry skills when there is already an abundance of already qualified miners unemployed. It is still failing to achieve its target, but it is better than no policy, like "lets just take an extra 12,000 refugees".

Looking at Australia, that has financial issues, a falling GDP, overcrowded hospitals, overcrowded schools, failing infrastructure, pensioners living below the poverty line, where do you think the extra $900 million comes from, because they can't just go to the Mint in Canberra and print some more cash. It means less money for the already fucked hospitals and schools, less money to prop up the decaying infrastructure, less money for genuine social welfare programmes like our pensioners and war vets.

I will save confusing people by not calling our political parties Labor and Coalition, better to refer to them as their American counterparts, Democrats and Republicans. The reality is they are both so left of centre, its a competition to see who can fuck the country the quickest.

I will save confusing people by not calling our political parties Labor and Coalition, better to refer to them as their American counterparts, Democrats and Republicans. The reality is they are both so left of centre, its a competition to see who can fuck the country the quickest.

Amazing. You just nailed what every American citizen should know by now about their own political parties.

Throughout the course of my life, I too have always sought to make poor people ultimately responsible for all my problems. Desperate people are just soooooo annoying! I mean really!

Interesting statement, because if you allow your government to keep doing what it's doing you will become one of the poor and desperate, so you will be able to blame yourself for all your problems.

Pity you couldn't understand the poor financial management I blamed for most of the issues.

Interesting statement, because if you allow your government to keep doing what it's doing you will become one of the poor and desperate, so you will be able to blame yourself for all your problems.

Pity you couldn't understand the poor financial management I blamed for most of the issues.

I don't think there has ever been a point in my adult life when someone wasn't making some similar dire predictions. The past several years have been banner years for ominous predictions. And yet, here we are still.

New Years is an excellent time to remember past unnecessary panics.

It's amazing to me to see that some people who believe they are on the ideological right of politics, in a world where neo-conservatism and its adherents have been responsible for; the loss of jobs due to globalisation, perpetual war that benefits only arms and defence industry shareholders, the acceleration of the collection of the planet's resources leading to global warming, the imminent subjugation of the last vestiges of democracy to TTIP and  the rise of right-wing nutjob groups like the Tea Party, UKIP and FN, still manage to blame it on people with left of centre politics!!!

But then the more I read here it seems to me that being on the right of centre means it is just merely about having someone to blame.  Even better if the people being blamed are foreigners or other such easy scapegoats like refugees. 

It's amazing to me to see that some people who believe they are on the ideological right of politics, in a world where neo-conservatism and its adherents have been responsible for; the loss of jobs due to globalisation, perpetual war that benefits only arms and defence industry shareholders, the acceleration of the collection of the planet's resources leading to global warming, the imminent subjugation of the last vestiges of democracy to TTIP and  the rise of right-wing nutjob groups like the Tea Party, UKIP and FN, still manage to blame it on people with left of centre politics!!!

But then the more I read here it seems to me that being on the right of centre means it is just merely about having someone to blame.  Even better if the people being blamed are foreigners or other such easy scapegoats like refugees.

So you can obviously answer a simple question and tell me where the $900 million will come from that the Australian taxpayers have to find to support 12,000 additional refugees, considering it wasn't part of the budget which was already in the red?

I don't think there has ever been a point in my adult life when someone wasn't making some similar dire predictions. The past several years have been banner years for ominous predictions. And yet, here we are still.

New Years is an excellent time to remember past unnecessary panics.

You really do live in a timewarp.

Try using those bullshit comments for the families of soldiers that were killed up until 2015, or the thousands of vets that can't get support. And be prepared for the deaths in "another great year".

Or the families killed in terrorist attacks in places like France.

Or the millions of refugees that you are apparently so concerned about.

We are not talking about predictions, we are talking about the world as it is now.

You really do live in a timewarp.

Try using those bullshit comments for the families of soldiers that were killed up until 2015, or the thousands of vets that can't get support. And be prepared for the deaths in "another great year".

Or the families killed in terrorist attacks in places like France.

Or the millions of refugees that you are apparently so concerned about.

We are not talking about predictions, we are talking about the world as it is now.

The last line of the United States National anthem is "and the home of the brave." I do not and will not live in fear and I think it's time that those calling themselves patriots join me, or sit down and be quiet.

The last line of the United States National anthem is "and the home of the brave." I do not and will not live in fear and I think it's time that those calling themselves patriots join me, or sit down and be quiet.

Easy to say when someone else is doing the dying for you.

Easy to say when someone else is doing the dying for you.

I actually was referring to the security concerns over taking in the Syrian refugees. You know what? There might indeed be a bad apple or two in there. We might even be attacked as the result of taking them in. In the process we will be helping many people and if, as so many here love to claim we are a Christian nation, this is an opportunity to turn hollow words into action.

My point is that I believe this country is better than turning a cowardly eye away. We need once again to truly be the home of the brave, not the home of the hateful, fearful violent bigots that some would like to see us become.

So that's your solution, take in Syrian refugees. So how many, 1,200? Maybe 12,000 like Australia? How about all 2.5 million? America is a rich country, you can afford it. Why stop at Syria, why not take in all the Afghans while you're at it, that's only another 2.5 million give or take. Then there's the Somalis, but that's just over 1 million.

So that's just 6 million to start things off. How many are you going to take on? Maybe just a basic family to start off, mum and dad with 6 or 7 kids. That shouldn't be too difficult for a good Christian boy like you. Then once you've got them settled, they can bring all their extended family members and in-laws.

So let's just ignore the complex issues, like how their countries are so fucked in the first place, how they bring their fucked culture and religion with them, how they establish ghettos and enclaves wherever they have settled, how they slowly but systematically change the culture of their host country. Let's just look at a simple question, the same question your like minded posters fail to answer, choose to ignore, where does the money come from?

Australia's 12,000 will cost an unbudgeted $900 million and the government has made no secret that it will cut overly stretched services like health, education and welfare even further than they have.

I think it will suffice to say I am just grateful that I am not so angry about everything. Ozi, I enjoy your posts, but I made a promise a while back that I was not going to get involved in political debate here and I have already violated my word to an extent although I have tried to just express broad thoughts. As for immigrants and fears about them changing culture etc. This is not a new thing. A good deal of my heritage is Irish and I have read about their experience in coming to America.