MacBook Pro

12 minutes ago, ww_watcher said:

A few comments up Albacore said he is Maccentric and prefers using Chrome as his browser. I suggested using the VLC player because it plays everything, except M4P format, (Apple's protected format) and can also be used for format conversion. Both apps originated in Linux (UNIX) land and were ported over to the other OSes. So when it comes time to get another machine you should consider a machine with Ubuntu Linux. Linux is free and has thousands of techies and advanced users all over the world contributing to it; as opposed to the several hundred software geeks of MS and Apple paid to sell you their stuff. Now that RLC is boring you should go investigate the linux world and see for yourself. It is alot more user freindly than you think. AND did I mention it is FREE. Oh, also, like your cell phone, it has an app store built in.

I will try VLC.  And I love the linux world. I left Microsoft for Linux back in 1999 and never looked back.   All of my servers were linux and then I added a mac servers as well and they were also very stable and easy to use.   Still have some desktop windows machines for some employees but I am all mac.  Windows 10 is pretty nice from what I have seen.  I have a surface pro 3 that I keep around and use every now and again.  But mostly mac.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, ww_watcher said:

A few comments up Albacore said he is Maccentric and prefers using Chrome as his browser. I suggested using the VLC player because it plays everything, except M4P format, (Apple's protected format) and can also be used for format conversion. Both apps originated in Linux (UNIX) land and were ported over to the other OSes. So when it comes time to get another machine you should consider a machine with Ubuntu Linux. Linux is free and has thousands of techies and advanced users all over the world contributing to it; as opposed to the several hundred software geeks of MS and Apple paid to sell you their stuff. Now that RLC is boring you should go investigate the linux world and see for yourself. It is alot more user freindly than you think. AND did I mention it is FREE. Oh, also, like your cell phone, it has an app store built in.

Very good advice and I will try to see if I can hang with the techies of the Linux word and find out a little more about it.  Thanks WW....it's good to have a bunch of techie types on this forum to help out us non-techie types!!   I'm supposed to remain as calm as possible these days and I don't know why I let trying to logon to RLC of all sites to view the free cams got me all anxious lol.   I guess it was because I haven't logged into RLC in so long that I was kind of looking forward to it.   At any rate, I did log into RLC to view the free cams and I was very disappointed because I guess Elisa & Vika were both upstairs or out of the apartment the few minutes I watched.

Once again, thanks for all the help everybody!!

15 minutes ago, ww_watcher said:

By the way WW, are you talking about the VLC player for watching movies?   I used a VLC on my windows systems sometime back as it would play just about any format you threw at it.

51 minutes ago, HarleyFatboy said:

Very good advice and I will try to see if I can hang with the techies of the Linux word and find out a little more about it.  Thanks WW....it's good to have a bunch of techie types on this forum to help out us non-techie types!!   I'm supposed to remain as calm as possible these days and I don't know why I let trying to logon to RLC of all sites to view the free cams got me all anxious lol.   I guess it was because I haven't logged into RLC in so long that I was kind of looking forward to it.   At any rate, I did log into RLC to view the free cams and I was very disappointed because I guess Elisa & Vika were both upstairs or out of the apartment the few minutes I watched.

Once again, thanks for all the help everybody!!

With your recent health revelations and your past (some what stressed out) dislike for what you saw on RLC and the lack of, in your opinion, appropriate content - are you sure it is healthy to venture back into the RLC world?  If you need to remain calm RLC s not the place for you IMHO.  You will, as in the past be disappointed.  Maybe camcaps is the best way to go/stay.   Just sayin......

Open source source can be amazing, and if your system dies, it doesn't take FOREVER TO REBUILD. I am on Win10 on two machines, because I need Microsoft compatibility, but I think we all need to fight for the liberty and freedom that Linux and its open-source apps provide. I worry about the condition of my Win10 systems: I do not worry about my Ubuntu box. That sucker is a warrior.

Google Earth, Chrome, (In fact, Google everything), Firefox, Libreoffice, Open Office, VLC, and tons of other stuff run on it, and it's getting better and the applications are getting more polished. And you no longer have to be a computer geek to get it rolling...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, albacore said:

With your recent health revelations and your past (some what stressed out) dislike for what you saw on RLC and the lack of, in your opinion, appropriate content - are you sure it is healthy to venture back into the RLC world?  If you need to remain calm RLC s not the place for you IMHO.  You will, as in the past be disappointed.  Maybe camcaps is the best way to go/stay.   Just sayin......

I totally agree Alba!   That is why I only spent a few.....maybe 5 minutes on the free cams.   I'm pretty much done with RLC but I hate to miss any good stuff!   Now that nobody posts what this site was built off of, I feel the need to venture back out into the RLC world.   I probably won't, as I know it's hours of waiting for anything worth seeing to me!!

• Upvote 1